Raceroom Controller (or Pad) (For Sector3 Product development)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Azfalt Raser, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I bought a Raceroom Controller last year. Haven't really tried using it until today. I like to put my feet up on my desk and well....the pedals for my wheel...yeah, that's a problem.

I actually like it (sort of) and will keep on working with it to develop the sensitivity to control the darn car. 1:25 laptime with my T300RS (DTM 2013 @ Spielberg) and about 4 minutes with the controller. o_O

I'm sure alot of testing was done with a prototype design. Could I make a few suggestions for a future re-design?

1) Some buttons are hard to get to.
    In the current configuration, the buttons closest to the "wheel" and just above the wheel are difficult to get to. The wheel gets in the way. When I turn the controller upside down (so the wheel is at the top), it's easier to get to the buttons AND easier to steer. But of course, the throttle/brake buttons are on the wrong side now.

2) Seems to me my thumb, closer to the tips, have better sensitivity to control the wheel.
    Might want to consider relocating the wheel to the top (by the USB cord). In trying to hold the controller and steer, I have to use the sides of my thumbs, which limits my range of motion. Using the tips of my thumbs, I have full range of motion. Maybe my hands are too large for the controller. No offense to Midgets, but seems like the controller is made for midget hands.

3) Throttle/Brake buttons.
    To me, the springs used in these buttons feel too weak - yet I have to press really hard to get full throttle or full brake. A slightly stiffer spring and reduced effort to get to maximum throttle would make it more responsive and wouldn't require a death grip to hold onto it which reduces hand fatigue.

4) Maybe change the Raceroom Shop (www.raceroomstore.com/us/list_page?cat=22)
    You might want to remove "Incl. Driver CD-ROM and manual" from the DTM controller listing.
    Unless the "Driver CD-ROM" is specific to the DTM Controller - I didn't recieve a Driver CD-ROM with my Raceroom version. Can I download the driver?

5) the wheel has alot of movement
    the wheel spins in a horizontal axis. But there is alot of movement perpendicular to that circular axis. Maybe use tigher specifications so the wheel only moves in a cirucular motion. It would make the controller precise.

Misc:
    I can't seem to get the controller buttons to move around the Raceroom UI. I can go "back" and exit from the game, but I can't select any menu items. Unless I'm doing it wrong.

Just some customer feedback.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016