Raceroom to move to Unreal Engine 4 in the future.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bakayoyo, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Peter Kerenyi

Peter Kerenyi Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Hi! In one of my posts I attached screenshots from other sims in a similar scenario to "prove my PC isn't crap" basically. In R3E, one of the CPU cores/threads is maxed, others are basically sleeping. GPU as well, barely going over 1000 MHz. In this case the CPU (or rather what R3E uses of it) clearly bottlenecks the GPU. I did try a few months ago going from absolute minimal settings and increasing them one by one. I found shadows to be the biggest killer, however one can't say in 2020 with capable hardware to just disable car shadows to make a game run in an acceptable way and look like crap, especially when the competition does not have such serious problems, or rather the need exclusively for single core performance. That's why I would certainly be in support of an engine update.

I did not try multiplayer or Process Lasso. I might try Process Lasso. Temps are okay, especially with R3E as it does not utilize my hardware.

I know my CPU does not excel in single core performance. I am planning to upgrade it (and not specifically for R3E, DCS World also suffers a bit, and it would bring much better 1% lows according to benchmarks on YT). Not sure if the AI calculations are what kill my performance, or rather e.g. shadows need heavy CPU calculations that cannot be distributed over the available thread in this game engine.

Sorry if I sound a bit annoyed here, I really appreciate you guys trying to help or come forward with ideas :)

2. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Give lassso a try and select a different core each time to see if one is better. I thought your processor was 3.6GHZ in single core, which should be fine. Mine is a series 7 laptop I5 with Nvidia 950 MGTX and I have processor issues on AC1.0 with too many cars on track - above 10 kills it for me, but RRE runs reasonably on mid settings at around 35-40 FPS average at 1080 res and 50-60 peak in multiplayer.

3. Peter Kerenyi

Peter Kerenyi Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    My cores are running at 3.725 GHz. As seen in the screenshots in AC I had over 80 FPS at the start, but many threads were utilized. Thanks for the information!

4. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
  5. Peter Kerenyi

Peter Kerenyi Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
  6. Jens Roos

Jens Roos New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    According to this Microsoft blog, it's the actual opposite. Disable fullscreen optimization would return to "true" fullscreen mode (FSE). In Windows 10 using fullscreen optimization the application "thinks" it running fullscreen, but are actually borderless windowed to better support overlay, alt-tab and stuff like that.
    https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/demystifying-full-screen-optimizations/

However, if you already using borderless, it has no impact for you.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I can see how frustrating it must be as your sytem should have no trouble with RRE - at least you have lots of other nice games you can play instead!

Maybe try with lasso setting the preferred core and power management and killing all non essential processes or even going to the 32 bit version of RRE just to see if that would make any difference?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Peter Kerenyi

Peter Kerenyi Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I had to reinstall Windows 10. Now AC also has equally bad performance. I have had kind of enough of PC gaming.

9. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    After giving Assetto Competizione a try I hope S3 don't use the same engine.

Spent 90% of my time trying, unsuccessfully, to fix the crappy blurry image caused by the crappy AA they use.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    I kinda agree, ACC runs and looks pants on my PC, so I rarely fire it up. Yet Kartkraft also uses the Unreal engine but runs and looks fantastic, so maybe not blame the engine but the developer or rather their lack of optimisation, bad coding or just plain lack of knowledge of the Unreal engine.By the way Kartkraft development team is minuscule compared to the might of 505/Kunos.
    Not to sure how S397 are going about the switch to DX11 but it doesn't seem to involve any new engines just some clever coding, as it runs a treat on my PC and looks great (well the newer optimised stuff). The madness engine seems to deliver good visuals with good fps, just have to wait to see if it's beefy enough to produce a quality finished article. AMS2 lacks in several key department as far as I'm concerned, almost appears like a better looking version of something very old.
    Whatever happened to progress, seems very much like one step forwards and two back in Sim racing recently. All for a evolving Sim but boy wouldn't a finished one be novel. o_O

11. tothrauldaniel

tothrauldaniel Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, same with F1 2019, it's the TAA at 1080p. Only 4k fixed the image, but I have th 2080ti and it's not enough power for that I tell you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Funny you should say that as I did a clean install of the new W10 2004 version, keeping all my Steam games on my gaming drive and just updating the documents folder on the C drive and have been getting 10 FPS more since then on RRE.

13. alesi27

alesi27 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    I had similar issues with my Ryzen 2600 lately. Setting reflections to low, shadows to medium and motion blur off with time multiplier to 0x, made the game stable again. Just my 2 cents.

14. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    "We know with R3E the game engine is old in comparison to the competition, there is no doubt we are missing certain elements and eye candy the others have. We took the decision that Unreal is the way to go" said Chris Speed.

Well it has become very silent around that topic (that RD interview is of Feb 2017) in addition to the fact that Simbin UK seems to be out of existence - except for some fancy "GTR3" teasers. With ACC far ahead in that area they might have dropped their "GTR3" Plans or actually do some groundwork to implement a new graphics engine for RRE (if any) which I would appreciate.
    While the Sector 3 guys are actually so very open about their work I wonder why there is so little info about it. I mean shit happens guys and if there is, you can openly share it with us :D...pretty sure nobody will rip your heads off.....;)

15. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 0 / -0
    really?
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Well....:D

17. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    old topic with new inputs ...

• Like Like x 1
  18. pierredietze

pierredietze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Wow, that is a complete unknown racetrack to me, never seen it before. And it's absolutly realistic modeled, the same moment the tire leafs the puddle he is dry instandly! We need this urgend in RRRE!
    But please give me 2 days to get the money for my new PC, with a Ryzen 11 9500X3D, two 4090's in SLI mode, 128GB of ram and a worp4 plasma driven harddrive...just to ensure to run this with at least 25 FPS.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
    ue5 can wait, still waiting for games to look as good as ue4 tech demos :D

20. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Nah, it all depends on how developers use it. If they crank up all the bells and whistles, then of course it will be very demanding, but that's the same with any other engine.

How complex is hairy donut in FurMark? Not much, it just has a gazillion of polygons.