Question Racing with current AI

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by The Iron Wolf, Apr 23, 2015.

1. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    I am wondering if anyone has suggestions how to race current AI in R3E?

I don't have much time to race, for that reason I am primarily interested in Single Player. Yesterday, I raced at Hungaroring, well, to say more precisely, I tried (DTM 2014 class). The way my race looks like usually: if I am in pole, I either finish boring race in 1st place or, most often, get in accident with AI and end up being in last position. While I am last, I'd catch up with AI, gain some positions, but eventually get in accident again. I tried everything: passing only in straights, only in certain turns, inside, outside - no luck, staying in race with current AI is very difficult to me. A bit of whine: the most annoying thing happened yesterday, I got pushed into pit lane in last turn of Hungaroring (multiple times), and guess what? Drive through penalty for that (which I wasn't aware of because I run with all game HUD off, and got disqualified).

I got frustrated and travelled 8 years ago, switching to GTR2 for that night - AI was much less of a troublemaker than in R3E, I could even relax a bit and enjoy racing without constant fear and trying to figure out how to survive AI. Basically, every time I see car in the mirror feels like death sentence. BTW, this reminds me when I raced with someone who had no wheel… As soon as person got wheel we ceased to crash in every turn. Maybe, AI needs wheel? :)

So, my question is, has anyone noticed any pattern/set of rules to follow to survive AI? Stay away from main racing path? Or something?

• Agree Agree x 5
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  2. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    couple of suggestions:
    1: turn off adaptive AI, set a difficulty around 90%, and give a try, if it is week tune it up, if it is strong tune it down
    2: the AI is not the same on every track, with the same AI settings prolly you will have an easy win on 1 track, and will strugle to stay in first 10 on the other, so probably you will need to finetune AI for each and every track
    3: make sure you know the car and the track. i know most of us have many years experience, but all games are different. I suggest to go do couple of laps in leaderboard challenge to see where you are at atm.
    4: turn off penalties (or turn on HUD), i would say there is no meaning to use penalties against AI, better to race on track, this is not F1 fortunately...

• Like Like x 1
  3. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your reply, it does make a lot of sense! I noticed that I was able to race ok on some tracks, but at Hungaroring + DTM 2014 class AI was just unbearable to me. I also suspect that AI is different with classes, some classes are more difficult to survive.

I think that it is inconsistency with game that pit window info is displayed with HUD off, but penalties are not. I also miss radio communications, they added so much to immersion...

4. Dgr

Dgr Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I used to feel the same, but honestly, turn the AI up. Way up. To the point you are pushing your limit to just keep up. All of a sudden the 'blind' AI becomes very, very good. I use AI 120 (AI 115 if I am being lazy) and its much more consistant and fun.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I've just had a 30 minute race on ADAC 2014 at Zandy, get real mode driving the vette against AI set on 100. Started 19th and spent the whole half hour being astonished by how well the AI race. They defend properly, they take any chance you give them, they leave just enough room and generally make you work really hard to beat them. I didn't see any bad behaviour at all, just utterly convincing racing which has left me drained and delighted with a hard won 2nd place.

Please don't change them at all, at least for ADAC 2014. I've been playing racing games for many years and no AI I've ever played against comes even close :)

6. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    I do find the Ai differs from class to cars, adac 2014 is great but try the same with Dtm

7. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for inputs guys - this is informative, keep them coming. Yep, in some races I am rather pleased with AI, but yesterday just went over the top of my patience. I am mostly racing DTM 2014 in these days (due to mandatory pit stop and tire choices), I tried to go through championship, but either have to try to set higher difficulty or try different class.

8. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Slightly different subject.
    Something needs to be done about the collision handling lol, just can't touch another car without being spun out, it's getting very frustrating.

In single player I race with the AI on 120, that's great fr the closer racing I'm after but, the slightest contact with another car usually sends me spinning or at least off the circuit, that's usually either a couple of places lost or with the spin, race over.

In multi-player... doesn't happen so often to me but, there really should be a little more "give" shouldn't there?

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    I think this might be the real problem. AI is actually quite good, but most contacts send you spinning, even at low speeds. I fail to imagine car behaving like that in turn at 60 km/h. I am no expert at sim racing physics though. BTW, anyone can comment how is Rf2/AC in this aspect?

Also, a very good point on race being over after spin. This is the exact reason I set AI strength low - so that I can catch up after spin, otherwise race is ruined.

Just had race online - so much better in that aspect than with AI, and I was pleasantly impressed how respectful most racers were. Still, online racing takes more time, and not everyone can afford that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  10. Mudman79

Mudman79 Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Same here. The slightest touch sends me spinning off the track. And since the AI seems to like break checking me this happens quite often. (G5 series at 100 difficulty)

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Edu Martinez

Edu Martinez New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think AI is tougher in qualy than in race at same %

I mean that while in qualy I can´t get the last one AI, in race I win or close to win. (e.g.radical at slovakiaring at 95%)

12. GroovyMotion

GroovyMotion Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Same here, it's very frustrating to being touched by an AI and all of the sudden your off track.
    On the other hand, I have a lot of fun testing their nerves and pushing them off track or blocking them in a tight corner to see how they behave. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    I have the same problem in most race.
    But what is really odd I'm not getting this across every cars , like right now i am doing a championship in adac 2014 and I don't get the problem.

If i run Wtcc 2013 for example instant spin with the slightest touch and sometime it even start spinning even when the car was going straight.
    I've watched a bunch of video of people playing the AI on some race I've seen it on some but not on others.
    It seem really on and off depending on cars I guess

14. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everyone for inputs - let's hope S3S reads this and will act on this. BTW, I really liked how GTR2 AI had (almost) same speed as player in straights, but depending on settings, slower in turns, made racing very enjoyable.

15. matteman

matteman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    1. Choose the correct AI difficulty level to suit your ability. too low you will be running into them, too high and they will be running into you. This also needs to be adjusted dependent on the class of car your driving.
    2.Choose your overtaking opportunities carefully. As in real life you cant pass 5 cars going into corner 1. generally i find the top 5 or so cars are separated by about 1 second. This gives you just enough room to race whilst you plan your overtake. They will try to block you and if you have followed step 1 correctly they should (baring corner exit speeds) match your straight line speeds. You also need to be close enough on approach to effectively make a clean pass. If you try to dive under the AI from too far back you will spin.
    3. Avoid contact with other cars. A slight tap or bump under brakes wont always result in an instant spin especially if you can get alongside your opponent. Heavy contact will result in a spin. To avoid rear end collisions from AI you must be on the race line or "close the door" on approach to a corner , leave them no room to make a pass., use your brake pedal as a tool to slow the AI down before turn in.
    4. Practice ,Practice, Practice, Qualify, Race.
    I personally think the Ai is very good. They provide a very good challenge. I dont want to see AI that are afraid to race and simply let you by., however i do agree that the collisions still need a little tweaking.
    Just my opinion. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I agree with matteman. With a bit of preparation its possible to have some stunning races with the AI. With the gt2 and ADAC 2014 AI, they race fair and hard. If you do stuff like block in the braking zones theyre bound to hit you - I prefer this to AI which makes super human efforts to avoid you.

I'm really looking forward to whatever ai updates S3 come up with, but I really hope they keep the aggression and raciness of the GT and ADAC stuff

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    @matteman I agree 100% but, I'm already using the highest difficulty and the problem comes from me tapping the back of the AI, they are far from heavy contacts.

Generally though, the AI is about the best in the business.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. GroovyMotion

GroovyMotion Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    @Ronin_GTDave yeah, it seems that the friction values are quite different from human controlled and AI, they seem quite more planted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. matteman

matteman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    The ultimate aim in any race car SP or MP is no contact at all.;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Frank25

Frank25 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Just some minutes ago the 2nd ADAC GT Masters 2015 race at Oschersleben ended with a victory of the new Bentley GT3 car. During this race there were a lot of contacts between the cars. After the start in the first corner the Bentley had a door to door contact with another car and then was hit from behind, so the Roller Corvette could pass him on the inside and take the lead. Later an Audi was also hit from behind and spined of the track. That's real racing and I think the R3E AI is excellent. But of course you first have to adjust the AI to your skills or the AI cars are to fast and will crash into your car because you brake to early or the AI is to slow and brakes to early for you and you will crash into the AI cars if you are not very careful. And the different cars have also different advantages, e.g. the Corvette was faster at the straights and the Bentley was faster at the corners. And even the same car with the 2nd driver has shown a different performance. That's also real racing. If you can't handle this, you should better play Assetto Corsa with it's boring AI, that don't even overtakes you, if you slow down significantly on the race line.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1