Rage quit, the disease of MP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by le_poilu, Apr 19, 2015.

1. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Did you know the best way to be on the podium in a MP race in R3E?

Just finish it....

This is the sad conclusion that comes to me on the many (great) races I had in R3E.

Rage quit is the by far the biggest disease in MP races.
    Even with more than 15 players @ start, it's barely 5 or 6 MAX at the end.. when it's not 2 or 3.

I know it's frustrating to be rammed on the first turn, to not fight for the 1st places, to be alone on the track @ 5 or 10sec, but unlike the majority I make to point to finish every race I start.. and guess what, sometimes there's great finish even when all seems lost.
    Last time after being rammed by the well known A.Senna on Mid Ohio I pushed hard all the race to try to catch those who stayed on the race. As it was a 25min race, it felt not impossible. Good for me, as I was able to catch 2 players, overtake one and finish less than 1s behind the 2nd of the race.
    The race was one of the most intense I ever had, chasing and catching, being closer and closer, push and hope for a mistake from the others, not giving up.

I really really enjoy playing MP in the game, as never before. there are great players to race against. but I feel sad every time I see the "quitting" message when a player quit the server, sometimes we are still in the first lap.

So please guys, Don't give up so easily , finish your races.

I hope we will see one day a way to rewards players who don't give up on first turn (maybe with a raking as iRacing)

• Agree Agree x 17
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Krzysztof Volek

Krzysztof Volek Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    You've maid a valid point with this. I barely remember any MP race with more than 4-5 people finishing it, rest is always DNF. Last saturday i had great race in Gr.5 Capri on Salzburgring, past the half of it there was only 4 of us left if I remember corretly, for last few laps we were only two. I was driving at P1, then spun and lost many seconds, but guess what, on final lap my opponent missed the last turn and went offtrack when he already could see the finish line, so I ended with P1. Whole race was very intense, with lots of good wheel to wheel fighting and i enjoyed it alot. Shame that in the end there were only two of us, when there were about six drivers on starting grid.

3. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    It's not a thing you can avoid really. That's why, for me is private league racing for online. Public servers = no respect (obviously, there are some serious people out there but rage quitting and bumping is someting to bad to think of it.

I speak for myself, ofc. I race online to have FUN and to me the above does not provide that.

4. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    It does ruin the effect of the race, but people should be able to leave when they want. You can't force people to stay or request that they do.

I've had plenty of times when I've been leading or running well and my daughter has come down from bed, or that I've been bashed significantly on the first lap and I have very little time to race, so I'll go and find the next race available.

Just so you know, with organised events my attitude changes to finish the race, but I'll stop at any event for my daughter.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  5. tiagosousagarcia

tiagosousagarcia Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Agreed @machwebb, but I don't think that's the kind of behaviour @le_poilu was talking about. We all know that even real-world racers will retire time and again for non-mechanical reasons. On the other hand, is disheartening to start a race with 21 players, fighting from the back of the grid to 8th or 7th, and suddenly realise that everyone behind you disappeared halfway through the race. There's nothing wrong with leaving when you have to, or when you're having a terrible race and you keep making mistakes. However finding the same players on the next track and the next and the next, quitting the second something doesn't go their way, and then seeing them again for hours, I think that's what's being discussed here.

I don't think anyone would want anything to be done from above about this, just trying to make a point about half the grid disappearing mid-race.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  6. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0

We totally agree.
    It's not about forcing people to stay, it's more about reward those who don't give up to quickly.
    I'm more often a middle grid player, and what I see the most is players after me quiting just because they are few seconds behind.

It's just as if people want only tight race, with door to door fight... Anything else doesn't seems to interest them... But this is racing too!
    IRL race are not always tight with hard battle...

7. Frankymoe

Frankymoe Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    @le_poilu: I was second in this race and I was impressed that you do not give up! I tried to drive a "safe race" but in the last rounds i became a little bit nervous. It was a very funny race. I didn`t expect that after the first rounds. You are absolutely right -> finish it!!!

8. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Well I can only say that joining a group (like ESR, GearEX or any other ) you can be sure most drivers will stay (except for the point machwebb made ).
    Frank Zappa once called an album ironically "We´re only in it for the money (and the fame probably)" and that's what the "MP-Disease" is about : Players who overestimate their skills after a few cool hotlaps thinking that'll be enough to dominate a whole race. And so every time online I watch those overambitioned ones, pressuring and squeezing at start to win the race @T1 (of a 15mins race which is a lot to get warmed up and to study your opponents) and ending in the gravel quickly. (Nothing against a driver who realizes he has not the skills to even compete and decides to leave to practice a bit more btw.)
    But you never learn from your faults if you give up at the first obstacle you encounter - I personally had some real great races after I failed or were kicked off by an opponent - digging my way through the grid or even ended on last position after a hard battle.
    To puss out is actually the most frustrating experience, cause you don`t grow out of your moods and attitudes....very simple ;)

• Agree Agree x 5
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  9. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    To quote Ron Dennis "To finish first, first you have to finish"... ^^

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0

I was so close to you at the end, but man, what a race!
    I did some mistakes 'cause of too much attack, and a little bit of frustration at the beginning. When I refocused, I saw I may catch you.. it became pretty intense :p

11. Seb S15

Seb S15 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    hi,
    it also sometimes I leave but this is very rare, however many drivers are not fair play and are eager to pass by hitting you as beginner, it is very annoying !!! :mad:
    I agree with Fairman ... a lot of fair play and group compliance and / or Team

12. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    Major force takes always its toll (kids, clients calling, flooding, electric outage, wife cutting wires, sudden diarrhea attack...) but I agree, quitting is really counterproductive. Either to yourself (if your "learning" it's ALWAYS better to finish the race no matter what) or to other pilots cause yes, having cars on track increase the difficulty of the overall race event. In all honesty, I think I've never quit a race even when I'd spun 5/6 times... (unless mech damage would be one and car was dumpster-ready).
    All in all, best way to be sure of getting a decent amount of cars at the end of race is racing communities.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    I get the impression that many of the serial quitters do so not out of rage, but because they feel a race isn't worth running if a podium finish is out of reach. Why invest 15 minutes in a race if a 10th place finish is the only reward? It's easier to move on and start again rather than learn from mistakes.The attitude to racing is different - more impatience, less willingness to play the long game. One mistake....quit! That's nothing new in public multiplayer, but disappointing to see in a more serious PC sim nonetheless.

Some players are very quick but have quite poor race craft and just don't know how to see out a race. I'm probably the opposite!

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Oliver Augst

Oliver Augst Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I think there is an urgent time for a ranking system .
    The first 5 of a race get points , the winner of Qualifying gets few points and who drive a race to the end , should also receive points .
    How many points should be, I don´t know :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Rik Fast

Rik Fast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    I always finish last because everyone i overtake is gone within a minute :(, i mostly try to stay in the race even if i get stuck behind. It's good practice too, and mostly i make me a new goal (catching the next driver).

But i believe that many don't want to lose face if they are behind....oh my god the shame the unbelievable shame ;);)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Plz, no ,for Gods Sake not at public servers cause that will increase the chaos due to every overambitious hotlapper trying to proof that he has big cojones and will try to do so at any cost. The less hierarchy the better for us all...cause it only will seperate the folks and I still see a lot casual drivers gossiping/calling names and such already...among private groups /leagues with gentlemen racers (& dedicated servers) = no question, of course..
    If there should be a ranking then some that takes your actual performance into consideration (wrecker or clean driver) but fireing up the (urge of) competition (and jealousy) at public races I consider as wrong move...

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Art_Vandelay

Art_Vandelay Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I also find this to be one of the more frustrating aspects of multiplayer racing. I personally don't like the term "rage quit", b/c it implies that someone has to be angry. I agree that it is often more "frustration quitting" -- if they can't finish on the podium, or if they make a mistake spin off the track, they give up. I see it as basically quitting for any reason other than (1) real world or simulated mechanical or technical problems prevent continuing, or (2) b/c outside forces (ex., spouse or kids demanding your time, the house is on fire, etc.) compel you to do so.

We've probably all done it at one point or another, but it really is disrespectful to the other drivers. I suspect that this doesn't occur to most people, at least not in the moment. I know when I'm having a frustrating race, I sometimes have to remind myself of this fact, and that spurs me to carry on so that it doesn't lessen the experience for everyone else. Of course, I'm no saint and have succumbed to frustration from time to time. But I think if most racers stuck it out most of the time, it would be more enjoyable for everyone, including ourselves on the occasion when the shoe is on the other foot.

Maybe S3 could put together a series of splash screens that display while MP is loading, which encourage everyone to finish what they start and reminds everyone why that is a good thing to do (respectful of other racers, more exciting experience for everyone, and sometimes those "lost cause" races end up being unexpectedly fun and rewarding) and why quitting generally sucks for everyone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. nickfox2003

nickfox2003 Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Rage/Frustration quitting is a real big problem and this happens in all races online and this need to be address and as some have mentioned maybe some more splash screen to say never give up.

These people who start a race then quit before the race is up are letting themselves down as well as guys who want to race till the end!
    First if you quit you will never learn how to race and build race-craft, you never get fast in a race situation (hot lapping help learn the track but not how to race and be fast!) And you never learn how to deal with pressure of someone being on you bumper trying to get passed you. Or learn spatial awareness of who is around you and this to me is the biggest problem of all the spatial awareness. Here is an example that i see lots. Guy goes to take a defensive line to block an overtake but then at the last minute pull back to the racing line where you are just about to brake and wham both cars off. Silly things like this. Use ya mirrors and remember if you block you can’t just pull back on the the racing line a car is going to be there!!!! Also if you see a car has gone from your mirrors it more likely he/she is besides you. It common sense most of the time.

I think the main area that need to look in to is a learners guide to race-craft!

All i say never give up and give respect to your fellow racers.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ExiaRS

ExiaRS Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I played MP only few times (unfortunately leaderboards are a lot of time broken so I "jump" into MP) but I always quit without rage.

1) If I accidentally crash into somebody and I do that almost every time, I feel sorry for a guy and I just quit. I ruined somebody's race and I don't have honour to drive any more.

2) After two laps I'm already over 10 sec behind and it quickly exponentially rise. It's not a race any more so why would drive any more?

Conclusion: there is a huge skill gap between best, average and low skilled drivers and when they mix in public server what do you expect?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. nickfox2003

nickfox2003 Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    there will always be a skill gap between low/average/skilled on games and in real life. this is part of racing you deal with it!!!!

1 if you hit someone don't quit say sorry and carry on.
    2 you aren't going to get any better if you keep doing this. you will only get fast by racing with fast guys this will in the end make you faster!

so don't give up carry on and learn.

• Agree Agree x 2