Ranking System Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Defender, Nov 2, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Defender

Defender New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I've just ran 2 separate ranked races today. In each I started pretty much at the back (to avoid any contact from first corner incidents). Each race I finished 11th and 13th respectively and in each race I improved my position by 7 places. Yet (and this is why I'm here) while having 0 incident points in both races, I somehow LOST ranking points (.33 and .34 respectively).

I'm still in rookie mode, mostly because I just restarted running the ranked races. I thought if I started in the back and ran clean and passed some people that my rank would improve. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong here? I would really like to get out of the rookie category sometime within a years time-frame.

Thanks, Defender

2. SchlesiM

SchlesiM Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Which point do you mean? Rating points or reputation points?

With no (or sparse) incident points you gain reputation points (which means you can access AM or PRO ranked races later). Rating points are gained by finishing a race at a good position (IMHO compared to the ratings of your opponents).

3. Defender

Defender New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Rating points.. I gained a couple reputation points in each race.

4. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
    It's modified ELO system, basically, if you end up behind someone with lower rating, you lose points. If you end up in front of someone with higher rating, you gain points. Thats a very simple version. Feel free to share your raceroom profile here

5. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Rating and reputation are completely separate. Your rating gain/loss only depends on your finishing position and rating of your opponents. How many places you gained or how clean you were, doesn't matter.

Reputation gain/loss depends on:
    - how many incident points you got;
    - how many corners you passed in this race;
    - your reputation before the race (the higher it is, the cleaner you have to be in order to maintain the same reputation, or improve it).

Also in the first few races your rating and rep gains/losses are doubled to help you get to your proper rating and rep (to the levels that more or less accurately reflect your skills).

6. Defender

Defender New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I was under the impression in order to move from rookie to the next tier that it required rating points. Is that not true? Does it require reputation points instead?

Can anyone explain the difference in the 2 points systems and how they directly affect the game for me?

Also, it would now seem that I need to qualify my ass off and run a clean race in order to have any chance of gaining rating points. Right or wrong?

7. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Reputation: servers called "Rookie" don't have any reputation requirements, all other servers have them (75 and 80 rep).
    Rating: is only used for weekly races which have three tiers of servers: bronze (any rating), silver (1550+), gold (1700+). Maybe some long daily races have it too, not sure.

Well, technically, you don't have to be clean... Like I said, rating system doesn't look at your reputation or incident points at all.

Also, if you didn't lose much rating even when starting from the back, you don't need to push too hard to have your rating increased. I think if you set time in quali, you'll finish even higher.

8. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    BTW, while you can indeed "work" on your rating, it's better to look at it as a metric that tries to reflect your actual skill. Depending on circumstances, it can be more accurate or less accurate. Like, if you got a disconnect or were spun out by someone else, your rating will drop and will be less accurate in showing your actual skill.

In the end, what matters is your real skill and the fun you have.

9. Defender

Defender New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    So increase my reputation for even cleaner racing, so that it puts me in servers with even cleaner racers?

And then don't really worry about my rating as much as that's more of a sign of my skill level?

I guess that makes sense. And I'm OK with that. I'll just keep trucking along and hopefully increase my reputation enough to get me into the next skill level.

Thanks, Defender

10. Defender

Defender New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I just spent the better part of the last hour googling to find the different tiers of this rating system. I currently have 91 reputation points. At what point will I see something other than rookie servers? Does anyone have a link that will show me the different tiers?

Thanks, Defender

11. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    You should see them all the time, no matter your rep or rating. See these Europe #1 and Europe #2 servers, for example:
    ranked-servers-list.jpg

Maybe your confusion comes from the fact that non-rookie servers run on schedule, they aren't up all the time. They start at x:00 and x:30 each hour (actually they open 10-15 minutes earlier). The schedule can be found:
    - here: https://game.raceroom.com/multiplayer-rating/
    - in the game in the main menu (when it's not replaced with a promotion for an event);
    - on discord: https://discord.gg/fUT4Bdw

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
  12. Defender

Defender New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for that information. When I read somewhere a while ago that you're in rookie until you improve, I sort of expected different levels of of servers, like rookie, intermediate, expert and pro (or something to that effect). I guess what I thought and what is actually reality are two different things.

13. Nir Tal

Nir Tal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Wednesdays long ranked races has 3 servers which are kind of rookie/inter/pro (bronze/silver/gold).
    Each requires minimum rating/reputation.

14. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    There's not enough people in the game to fill in so many servers, so yeah...