Question Ranking system

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Believe, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Believe

Believe New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello, I want to know when the rank system will change. For the current one does not work at all. Penalty points are awarded for nothing - when they ram you, they knock you out, when they fly in your ass. Isn't it possible to make a more flexible system?
    A detection system to figure out who and when crashed, to build a collision zone and take into account who is to blame, not to take into account light contacts ...
    Because because of the idiots, my rating suffers.
    I hope for your answer!
    It's just already on fire.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    This comes up a lot (see forum threads) unfortunately it isn't so easy to figure out who to blame automatically. That is why most games use the same logic to give points to all parties involved.

Even in real world there is controversy and an algorithm once known can be tricked/abused.

Be extra cautious on rookie servers try to qualify as best as you can. Over many races things typically work out

3. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Most games?

4. pixeljetstream

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Games = automated ranking systems.

Sim racing systems for AC, ACC do the same if I recall correctly. Think even iRacing, though don't have first hand experience.

Do you know systems that do this better? It seems really hard to come up with rules. One potential solution is attempt to train an ai on lots of incidents that were manually classified by a group of people. Though not sure if any developer has done though successfully and typically you need a lot of data for such approaches to work

5. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    From what I read on these forums and elsewhere I had an impression that iRacing is basically the only example, and R3E now too. I think if this concept was used in "most games" there would be much less misunderstanding on how it works and why it's used.

6. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    After more than two months pausing from simracing/league racing I just jumped onto the ranked DTM 13-16 server (after a little warmup) and it was really close, competitive and clean racing there (tho I have to say that I drove those DTMs for years leaguewise, nevertheless I was a bit rusty in terms of laptimes). Guess if you're a rookie or more casual driver it might be tough at times cause even on rookie servers you might find some really experienced opponents inbetween a mix of rookies, casuals and true chaos pilots (underestimating the racing conditions by overestimating themselves). So like Pixeljetstreaming said it might be best to leave those rookie servers behind as quick as possible (took me three sessions tho mI got lucky too). Anyway, in the end it comes down to (a lot of) experience learning to read your opponents, specially those usual suspects who want to win a session at turn one but also experienced but more aggressive ones.
    My personal creed is to have clean,close, competitive sportsmenship in the first place not to get a win or a podium at all cost (whichis rewarded with a few postions ahead from where I started mostly). Much more important is to be totally aware of your surroundings, being patient and learning to anticipate/read your opponents moves, intentions & personalty - I know it's easily said if you're somewhat new or less experienced with simracing - having enough to do keeping your car on the track :) tho I think the ranked system is exactly built around these ground rules.
    Btw. I personally would wish for more variety on pro servers, the track and car selection appears quiet redundant at times and there could be more pro servers with longer sessions (30-45-60 mins) running anyway.
    (Note : I'm not an Open Wheels fan at all :) )

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  7. n01sname

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Well....o_O watching the replay, I stumbled upon this scene, cause I wondered why a collegue of mine had quit almost at the end of the session.

Guess the guy in the Müller Audi got salty because the blue one behind slightly (& accidentally) bumped into him one or two times. As said I know him and he is a kinda late braker but a very experienced and clean racer, specially with the DTM's (and was faster anyway).
    So could you please refrain from those actions folks ? In terms of rep both stats got a drawback here - it's just rubbish even because all in all it was tough and fair racing so far...and on Rookie Servers things like that might happen much more frequently...

8. Believe

Believe New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think we need to really improve the system for detecting accidents and take into account the severity of the consequences. And then you can send the player to the wall, or you can easily touch and at the same time the punishment is the same.

9. pixeljetstream

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    The problem remains the same. There just isn't a magic formula that reliably detects the person who causes it. And say you are not guilty and now get a lot more points because the other guy crashes heavily. The current system (like others) banks on the statistics of many races. As fairman wrote it is about reading the opponent. It may not be worth battling someone close who is not as skilled or overly aggressive. Those tend to make mistakes that one can profit from.

10. azaris

azaris Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    What that guy did to your friend was unacceptable and should be reported. But the notion that someone is a "clean racer" but bumps someone from behind multiple times in one race is something I would object to.

There appears to be a tendency of some people on RaceRoom to exploit the lenient contact model by tailgating the car in front and then "accidentally on purpose" ram them repeatedly from behind, corner after corner, until the victim either yields or spins out. This is not acceptable at all. If you follow someone close, it is your responsibility not to bump into them, ever. There are specific techniques to following someone that must be learned:

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. n01sname

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Agreed tho in that case I can ensure you that EVEN IF my collegue bumped into that guy it was just a slight one and totally accidental. My inital impression was that he got salty because he was about to lose his position anyway and felt "harassed" and if you ever have driven the DTMs at the limit while a bit of squeezing and scratching has always been part of Toca Racing to a certain extent you know what I'm talking about...this is the way (the Mandalorian says) ! ;)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021