RD raceclub not doing well

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skybird, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Nigel Fox

Nigel Fox Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    I've been meaning to add some thoughts to this thread, but life has been dragging me off a lot this week, not to mention a certain racing game that isn't RaceRoom.

I'm one of the new kids on the block, joined the RaceRoom party this summer to the tune of about $190 US - and that's with the summer sale I misunderstood! Love the game, love the developers. Hate the pricing model. Yes, I pushed the button, totally my fault, but I was dazzled by all those cars and liveries, and that wealth of tracks, and I couldn't say no. It was an early birthday present to myself.

But did I enjoy being nickled and dimed to death with all that content? No. I was gambling, based on how good the GTRs were. And I have no doubt that a lot of people don't want to risk that kind of gamble at that price. Because who wants to buy into a part of a game? Guys want it all, and "all" costs a LOT. And has been said before, the alternatives are far cheaper, iRenting aside.

Maybe Raceroom Entertainment are as rich as Trump or Microsoft, and they can afford this strange pricing structure, but I'm doubtful. I think they ultimately are responsible for it, I doubt S3 would do this to their fans. I'm also of the thinking that RE are pricing it this way in order to ham fist some revenue from the customer. If so, they have to be informed by someone that this is a bad business strategy, because it all but guarantees that an expensive niche game remains as small a customer base as possible. And you don't want that, unless you have no care how things pan out. Anyone with any business savvy at all wants as many clients as possible clamoring for more.

The consequence of this is something I don't like. I'm thinking it forces S3 into making almost nothing but more WTCC and DTM content. I don't want this to be the core of RaceRoom, not entirely. I'm very hopeful that S3 broadens the game out past WTCC and ADAC stuff to embrace other FIA racing leagues, such as GT4, ALMS/USTC, other racing disciplines I harp on periodically around here. Even my fantasy league suggestions. Or at least the cars, so that we can form our own events. But this seems less likely than stuff that's popular in Europe, the racing sim home base, which means periodically we get more DTM and WTCC, and not a lot else, to ham fist a few more purchases from the home market. This isn't how I want to see RaceRoom grow, because that's not real growth. And I can't see how this will grow the user base, because it hasn't done much of that.

This isn't a grouch about how I want to see RR become my dream game, admittedly it is a part of it, but how like the others, I want to see RaceRoom become popular and sell well, remain viable as a thriving racer into the foreseeable future. I'd be content if S3 died off and what we got is all we get, because obviously I'd have no choice if this happened - as long as they make a patch to remove all the "must be on server" code so we can enjoy it in the future. But this is a good game that I want to see become a great game. Well, a good basis for a real serious racing game, as it's stuck in perpetual alpha state. To get out of that takes money, and the freedom S3 needs to make RaceRoom the game it should be. The money guys need to embrace this big picture. If they don't, someone needs to drag them to this thread.

One more thing. Going back to RR has made me miss "that other game," namely Forza 6. The reason is that being able to create my own race car livery, and with it my own racing identity, is too hip for words. For that matter, being able to build a street car into a race car and slap those liveries on it is even better. It makes Forza 6 into an incredibly diverse racer with all kinds of race cars of all performance levels, something that keeps me coming back to it, and moreso Gran Turismo. I know RR doesn't have civilian wheels in it, and I don't think they need that. But allowing us to make our own liveries or request some from capable car artists, would add greatly to the appeal of RaceRoom in a significant way. I hope S3 gives it some serious consideration this fall.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015