Realistic seat position (height + tilt)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HomieFFM, Nov 13, 2019.

1. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    (this first post is now edited with my final solution for a single screen - doesn't work with triples because of the Cockpit perspective shift up+ down changes position in every car )

Note: this first post is the updated one and the correct one, so ignore every other post from me on the next pages.

Requirements:
    - good car like seat position (real life) (Steeringwheel is in most simrig setups too low!)

- Monitor should be on eyelevel, not too high or too low
    (a monitor on a desk is most of the times too low)
    (while sitting upright, you should be able to look straight at the center of the monitor without looking up or down)

01.png

- Monitor should be as close as possible to the wheelbase
    (if you are using an adjustable simrig, the wheelbase top should be just a tiny bit over the lower edge of the monitor)
    like this:
    02.jpg

- correct FOV setting ( FOV-Calculator ) (in raceroom mostly 0.5 unless you have a really big screen and/or sitting really close, it's also possible to go below 0.5 - if you sit more far away - so take care of the FOV limit)

if your FOV is below 0.5 use your vertical FOV (the one you get for AC in the calculator )
    and divide it by:
    40 for triple screen
    for single screen

For example: If I wanted 21° for Raceroom (single screen): 21 : 58 = 0,36206897

place the number into:
    "\Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData"
    "graphics_options.xml" file

index.jpg

- activate the virtual steering wheel (when everything is finsihed should be deactivated)
    - mapping Seatadjustment buttons (Cockpit perspective shift up+down very important!)
    - mapping View Reset Button
    03.jpg

- deactivate every virtual camera movement (for example: turn off cam gets closer while breaking or more far away while accelerating or cockpit moves through bumps/driving up and down , only ''the surrounding should move''! the cockpit should be stable and fixed, otherwise you destroy the immersion)
    04.jpg

(Updated: 04.01.2020)
    Seat/View - adjustment:

1. Use View Reset Button (Cockpit Perspective Shift Reset - Button)
    IMG_20200104_213359.jpg

2. Use Cockpit perspective Shift down Button
    until the middle topside of your steering wheel matches the ingame one (for F1-Style Steering wheels turn 90°)
    IMG_20200104_213456.jpg

3. That's it. If you still want to change the seat height go to step 4, otherwise that's the correct view right here.
    IMG_20200104_213520.jpg

4. If you want to change the seat position a little bit higher or lower do it like this:
    - go a very small step higher/lower, then tilt the view down/up so your steering wheel is in line with the virtual one again (always look at the top middleside of the steering wheel)
    - repeat this until you have reached a good height, but don't move too much, otherwise the seatposition will get unrealistic

5. Deactivate virtual Steeringwheel

6. Have fun with the new immersion :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  2. Olaf Hülse

Olaf Hülse Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +505 / 0 / -0
    My point of view is relatively to the drivers head visible from the outside. I also look what's realistic and what my limitations (single monitor) can give me. I need to see something of the track as well as a bit of the side window. The correct backmirror would also be nice, but mostly I have to use the virtual one :(
    Greetings

• Like Like x 1
  3. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    actually a very good idea. I'm gonna enable Driver+wheel and then zoom back until I see the Driver and then zoom directly to the head position... gonna try this, thank you.

Yeah if you are using correct FOV it's impossible to use the ''real'' backmirror, even with my 35'' Monitor. Triple screen is the only solution to that, or incorrect viewing/fov settings.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    There are lots of factors to consider. 1st there is the correct FOV which you have addressed and we will assume is correct. Then the monitor should be at the correct height, centre of screen should be at eye level. Then there is the real life wheel position, now most people I see online or whatever have their wheel set far to low. Assuming we are setting up for a GT/touring type car then the top of the (round) wheel rim should be 2-3 inches below eye level. Horizon in game should be set to just below eye level by an inch or so. Set it up on a long flat straight. With eveything set as above then seat height in game should already be very close but I find in some cars I need to lower the seat, it makes you feel in the car rather than on the car, if that makes sense....

Not the best photo but this is what I see, 32 inch single screen. You can make out the real wheel just. The dash is an LCD display rather than the in game dash....

20190728_173904.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  5. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    Very good tips, starting with simracing I also had it too low at the beginning, but I measured everything, that's why my real wheel position is exactly as you recommended :)
    I see a lot of simracer with steeringwheel positions like they are driving Trucksimulator (maybe they really are) xD.

Now I did everything as you have recommended + I used the virtual driver for positioning.
    That's the result (picture taken from my headposition):
    IMG_20191113_235256.jpg
    Slightly different from my first try, but this feels really immersive to drive.
    So thank you guys very very much for your help :)

(Edit 04.01.2020: this view is actually too far away, look at post one for a correct view setup)

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  6. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately, you should not compare the size of in game steering wheel with the real life steering wheel. For some reason it dosnt work regardless on what you may have (triples or single monitor).

• Like Like x 1
  7. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    Yes you are right, that's why I used the virtual driver head as a better distance and height reference point

(If you change the tilt you also "change" the size of the steering wheel)

8. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Not sure about tilt, i dont use it cuz it seems to be global and it affects all other cars (prospective shift they call it in RR).
    The best way to adjust your fov is if you get close enough to the car dash and compare it to real life car. Then you can adjust the height and tilt. And another thing worth mentioning depending on your setup, make sure you use the correct fov value for example 0.5-.0.6x for single monitor (if your screen is around 27) or if you have triples enter values in steam.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    In addition, some in game cars have their seat placed too close to the dash resulting in seeing seat ears and blocking the side view. There was a talk somewhere in this forum about possible future option to remove seat and allow for better view. I would love to see that option available and finally re adjust the seat position in Porsche 911 GTR3 r

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    Seems I'm totally off with my adjustments... I often tried, but I can not get used to the calculated FOV of about 0.5. Settled around 0.8 to get any idea of where some apexes are. I also tend to sit too high in the car to see a tiny bit of the hood in some cars with sight slightly tilted down. Maybe it's cause I'm an old guy who starts feeling safer in an upright high position to better realize what's going on around me :(
    But I don't care if it's real or not as long as I can do consistent laps and S3 doesn't simulate the resulting raise of center of gravity - wich would be immens, given my weight :)

11. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Totally understand what yo are saying. The question always remains what is your primary goal when driving sim? Immersive driving experience or results? . Both can not be always achieved and so there is a compromise.
    Realistic setup FOV may not allow you to have the best results as it can be more challenging or harder to race. For instance, I care about driving experience FOV, equipment and FFB more than anything else. If my setup doesn't feel or look like siting in a real car, I cant be bothered driving. For other people might be different story.
    As for the single screen FOV in RR, I highly recommend to try staying with 0.6 and soon after that you will find your self experimenting with 0.5. It may take time to get used to finding apexes but it will be very rewarding and you will never go back to 0.8. Also get used to sitting lower and you will find yourself more immersed. If you don't care about immersion, disregard my post.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. BeefMcQueen

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    @Turtle Power you convinced me. I'll give it another try with narrower fov and slightly lower position and report back. Maybe with before vs. after screenshots...
    As for the immersion, there's no other sim I tried which gave me that instant feeling of really being the driver, like raceroom did. I already caught myself raising my hand in the "cockpit" to apologize o_O But that's another story and has a lot to do with other features like plausible physics, detailed force feedback and a great sound. Let's see, if I can make it an even better experience. Thanks for your input guys!

13. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I find people in this forum very helpful as well.

Posted my video here in forum demonstrating field of view for triple setup. (hence that my camera is placed a little bit too high). Adding values in steam works 99.9% accurate. The distance between my eyes and center monitor is 69cm. However, 75cm worked a lot better and more real. For a single monitor 27" close up, most immersive is between 0.5 and 0.6.

• Like Like x 2
  14. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    That looks great, are those triple 27s?

15. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    yes

16. Slugger O'Toole

Slugger O'Toole Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    If i am to lazy to fire up my rift, i drive like in the image.

32" with 75 cm eye distance and Track IR on the run. Look okayish for me.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  17. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Works great. I also have a triple 27inch setup. 60cm eye distance and side screens at 50degrees

18. BeefMcQueen

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]
    Above you can see what it looked like with a fov of 0.8
    Below it's set to 0.6 wich is absolute borderline for me. (0.5 and it feels like looking through the Hubble space telescope)
    [​IMG]
    Since I only use a small 24" single screen, I have to live with a bit of a compromise if I don't want to lose that last tiny bit of peripheral view that's definitely missing at 0.5.

But that thread's about seat position and here's how I try to adjust it: while moving the seat up, down, forward and backwards I keep pressing the button for peeking left or right. In most cars the mentioned "ears" of the seat should be as high as your eyes. So I keep moving the seat accordingly until that height is reached and then move forward until the "ears" nearly disappear.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    i think this is only possible to get it right if you have a huge single screen, everything else will always be out

Andi

• Agree Agree x 5
  20. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    On a 24 you probably will have to compromise a bit. True 1:1 FOV would probably be undrivable.

• Agree Agree x 3