Realistic seat position (height + tilt)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HomieFFM, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Forgot to mention (once you get you 32 inch screen), another reason why you should use 0.5 or 0.6 FOV on a single monitor is roads and terrain. You can clearly see going up hill or down hill. Otherwise it will look stretched flat roads/tracks

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    I noticed that, too. Another benefit of 0.5/0.6 clearly is that distances to cars ahead for example are easier to estimate.
    With a fov of 0.8 they appear still tiny, although you're just about to hit their bumper.
    Tried that while experimenting with an older 40" TV. The immersion only got killed by that full HD resolution, wich is clearly not enough for a screen that size.
    Nonetheless 0.5 or 0.6 definitely is still gonna be a big change for me.

Now I just have to wait for the Christmas bonus at the end of November. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    • Informative Informative x 4
  4. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    go to Page 1 for the updated post.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  5. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Great post.
    In addition, one problem (big problem) with prospective shift up/down for triples or single monitors is that this option is GLOBAL. It affects all cars which means when you swap cars you will have to re-adjust every single time. For this reason I am not using prospective shift option at all. Although, its a must have for F1 and a few other cars. I am not sure why not available per car?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Nice post indeed but this does not work if you have a triple setup. To bad. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Theres most setups and then theres me having my eyes below the top of my wheel :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Great post, but I fundamentally disagree with turning off all head movement cameras etc. Since in real life your head is not a fixed and static point within the cockpit. It does react to bumps etc which is what those settings simulate. Even in a road car your head moves relative to the rest of the cockpit over bumps, never mind in a stiffly sprung race car... around 10-15% head movement is enough though. Subtlety is the key with all these kind of settings.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    Agree on the head movement. Have it around 20 I think. Completely off seems very unnatural to me and reminds me of something I played a long long time ago... :)

10. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    Yes I agree with you on that, in terms of realismn it's definitely not wrong to use the headmovement and like you said, it even adds some sort of realismn/feeling to the sim.

What this post is more about, to replace the virtual steeringwheel with your real one as good as possible and keeping the view angle (Your Head > Steeringwheel > Monitor > In game setting) in the most realistic line.

As soon as the ingame cockpit moves, it will be off center with your steeringwheel (which makes this whole setup almost useless), the only way to keep it kind of in line would be a motion platform (that would be the next step).

But (like everything) at the end of the day it's up to what is more important to you, nothing wrong with headmovement otherwise, if you don't want this perfect view thing, defnitiely use the headmovement if you like it :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  11. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    When the car is static there is no movement so setup can still be done in the exact same way. With head movement set low enough there is enough movement to convey bumps and add a bit of realism inside the cockpit without it feeling that the steering wheel is coming off the car.... When you turn off the in-game wheel you don't see the two wheels moving anyway

12. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    correctly, if you don't use too much of the movement the offcenter (or that you are getting closer/ more far away to the cockpit) wont be that much noticeable.
    What I wanted to avoid is that people are using this setup and then are looking at the virtual pedals when they driving uphill ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  13. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I agree with you in regards to the head movement but somehow i find it more immersive and more realistic having all head movements or car movemens off. Its just personal preference i think.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Each to their own I suppose. Thankfully raceroom let's us choose.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Well said! True

16. Slugger O'Toole

Slugger O'Toole Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    This "music" gave me goose bumbs. Wow...so long time ago.

But the showroom is better than some current driving games ;-)

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    with my single screen ive gone a step further , all my measurements are basically from a road car distance to pedals , etc , except for my steering wheel which is a little higher to match height in racing tintops a bit better
    so i have a single big screen which i can move left or right , (to match the incar rhd/lhd setting ,
    i dont sit in the centre of my screen ,it is set as if it was a real windscreen so finishes not far from the outside of the wheel position , this then gives me more of the immersion of being sat behid a real windscreen
    ingame i then use the perspective shift right/left to then centre my steering wheel wth the virtual cars one

im still waiting for christmas to be over and hopefully pick up a second hand 65" screen as this will then be as close to a real windscreen size wise as possible

Andi

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    How are you side shifting the in game view on your screen though. Is the left right perspective shift not a pivot rather than a slide....if that makes sense....

Photo would be nice....

19. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    ill post a photo , when i get home , and clean up ..
    but the perspective shift is for single screens as such ; right left is a slide
    up down is more of a pivot action , so up down i use the seat option , and the perspective to get the right height and angle of view

if that makes any sense , this works for me and only takes a few seconds after you load a car for the first time

Andi

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    That's interesting! If it weren't global I could straighten up that bloody AMG cockpit....