Realistic seat position (height + tilt)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HomieFFM, Nov 13, 2019.

1. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    I achieved a very good result in ACC with the viewposition which feels really realistic now!
    I was correcting my FOV (from 23° to 21°) after measuring the monitor distances again and that had such a big impact to everything you wouldn't believe!
    The driving experience changed from strange to freaking awesome (also lining up the Steeringwheel with the car suddenly resulted in a perfect view in relation to the horizon)!

Now coming back to Raceroom a big question was going directly through my mind...
    When I'm using the FOV calculator and using the distance slider, I noticed Racerooms FOV limit 0.5 (smallest number possible) appeared already after 65cm (in my case).
    But my distance to the Monitor is 95cm.

Raceroom: 0.5 = 65cm distance, no adjustment possible after that
    ACC: 30° = 65cm, adjustment possible to 10° = 200cm (for example)

In other words, if I'm playing Raceroom and I'm sitting further away than 65cm my FOV should be incorrect if I'm not mistaken. :eek:

Is there any reason why it's not possible to use FOV 0.4 to 0.1 ? :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  2. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    For your reference in Raceroom:
    1.3x - 75.4 degrees
    1.2x - 69.6 degrees
    1.1x - 63.8 degrees
    1.0x - 58 degrees
    0.9x - 52.2 degrees
    0.8x - 46.4 degrees
    0.7x - 40.6 degrees
    0.6x - 34.8 degrees
    0.5x - 29 degrees

• Informative Informative x 4
  3. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    Aaah alright thank you very much for the information @Turtle Power ! But damn that hurts...... :(:(

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    In my case, 69cm eye distance from center monitor. Recently I've added a value of 80cm in steam for triples and it works best so far. From memory with triples you can set it up to 90cm or 95cm max. Maybe not possible on a single screen unless there is some a file that allows you to enter values manually for single monitor.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Agree, ACC easy and pretty good field of view options for singles and recently for triples as well. I am still scratching my head and wondering why is so complicated and limited in Raceroom? Maybe because of the engine limitations or just the way it was developed in the first place. I've managed to get perfect field of view in RR but still need that 'prospective shift (in some title so called tilt up and down) sorted per car and not global. Also missing option for 'moving left and right' whilst 'prospective shift left and right' seems to be useless.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  6. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    the perspective shift is for single monitors only
    only the binds in the tri screen area work for triscreen setup
    Andi

7. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Ok thats fair enough, but why is global and not per car? If you use it, it will affect all other cars until you reset it.

8. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    And is there any way for single screen to get the FOV below 0.5?

9. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    on single monitors its not global , i have to change the left right etc for each car
    i have no idea but will ask

Andi

• Like Like x 1
  10. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    Thank you :)

11. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Why is this implemented as it is? Is it hard to make the tilt seat work on a triple setup or can't it be done at all?

12. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    its implementsed like this because i asked for it many moons ago , for large single screens and not always wanting to be in the center

Andi

13. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    Any news about the FOV options below 0.5 for single screen?

I can't go back to raceroom with using the wrong FOV settings, it's like knowing your beautiful girlfriend cheated on you xD ...

14. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    What size monitor are you using? Is there no way you can move it closer? 95cm is a long in sim terms

• Like Like x 1
  15. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    Yes and No... it's a 35'' 21:9 Monitor and adjustable wallmounted. If I put him closer, I have to put him higher and that would result in (if I go with the realistic seat setup) that some parts of the virtual display are not visible anymore.

IMG_20191124_213158.jpg

All I can say is that this setup works perfectly in ACC with the correct FOV setting:
    index.jpg
    Plus the wheelbase itself adds a kind of 3D effect to it. The Fanatec wheelbase looks like a GT3 ''Steering Wheel pole cover''
    IMG_20191124_215006.jpg

That's why I don't want to change anything about the Monitor position.

Maybe there is some kind of workaround for single screens to change the FOV below 0.5?
    In ACC it's possible, in rF2 as well. But maybe there is some codelimitation in R3E ?

16. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    In all honesty I'd be sitting that display right in top of the base as close as possible. You would lose 50mm at most at the bottom of the screen by moving it up and all that is shown there is car interior. It's what's out through the windscreen that really matters.....

I don't think there's any reason why lower than 0.5x couldn't be a thing....it just isn't at the moment.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    I know what you mean and that would be possible, but in order for my settings to work I actually need this bigger distance.
    The monitor has to be where in real life the dashboard is.
    I noticed I was too far away in my last pic, here is a updated comparison with the corrected seat distance:
    comp.jpg
    (Assetto Corsa Competizione)

Ok thats something for my christmas wishlist, but maybe I'm alone with that request xD

On the other side the FOV settings should be reworked in genereal somehow,
    if you compare it to other sims where you can set degree for degree, meanwhile in raceroom you are jumping almost 6° in one step. Plus this much smaller limit which makes bigger monitor distances impossible.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  18. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Ok I see what you are saying. But what you should realise is the monitor only ever shows a 2d image so it's distance compared to the real dash is irrelevant. If you move the screen closer and set correct FOV everything will scale up correctly and the dash will appear to be at the correct distance anyway. By moving it away all you actually do is artificially narrow your view.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    IMG_20191125_023030.jpg
    this is what you mean (95cm vs 75cm distance with corrected fov - angle still a bit off) :)

I can't tell you why, but somehow the more far away option 95cm and 21° FOV feels more realistic.

Even the other option with 75cm distance and 26° FOV is also calculated correctly and should be the same feeling but with more vision (you are 100% correct about that) ... but it doesn't feel the same, I don't know why xD

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  20. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    It always takes time to adjust to a new setup, I always found it feels "wrong" at first when making changes. In your case you don't actually gain much anyway, so you have to decide for yourself if it's worth it I suppose. The advantage would be that you can use correct FOV with raceroom on the new position.

I think the way the game deals with FOV does need a shake up to make it easier for the end user to get the correct setup, both on single and triple screens. It is something I have suggested for the future so let's see.

• Like Like x 2