Realistic seat position (height + tilt)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HomieFFM, Nov 13, 2019.

1. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    Just as an idea: Have you tried to use the freecam? I know the cockpit doesn't look as detailed as in the original cockpit view, but at least you can try out by zooming in or out, if you can achieve your desired field of view. Hope you know what I mean?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Also, @HomieFFM, have you tried adjusting your graphics_options.xml file, per @GTSpeedster's Tutorial:

What you have to do is to go to "\Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData" and open the "graphics_options.xml" file in the notepad.

Simply take your mathematical vFOV and divide it by 40. Take this result and place it inside this line.
    ex. of his vfov)
    to: <custom type="float32">0.825</custom>

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  3. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Can`t find the original GTspeedster thread.What does it do,or have you a link....?
    Thanx
    DC

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    He gives a detailed guide when setting up triples, and some other info. Here's the link.

• Like Like x 2
  5. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    This helped me a lot, I should have read this whole article as Bullshark posted it already a few days ago.
    Because the guy actually explains how to set the FOV below 0.5 (what I was asking for later on xD).
    So thanks for posting this @Bull Shark and thanks for posting again @sherpa25 :D

So basically use your vertical FOV (the one you get for AC in the calculator )
    and divide it by:
    40 for triple screen
    for single screen

I wanted 21° for Raceroom (single screen): 21 : 58 = 0,36206897

and placed the number into:
    "\Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData"
    "graphics_options.xml" file

Screenshot - 27_11.jpg

Finally I have the correct FOV for Raceroom, what a Simchanger!
    This feels so much better to drive now! So Thank you all again! :)

Only finding the correct eye position of the Virtual driver is still a bit tricky.
    One way to do this is to use the throat of the driver, as I had shown it a few posts before.

But this is still no 100% correct method. The eye height you still have to guess where it is.
    Any other/better idea would be welcome :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. kanineAU

kanineAU New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    So after spending my first month and a half of Sim Racing with the 'proper FoV', I found I was continuously missing corners, hitting walls etc so decided to do some experimenting over the weekend. Whilst my setup is not ideal with 27" positioned at the end of a G27 on a computer desk with a view distance of 650mm, it's probably very typical.

So the proper setting which should result in a 1:1 scale on the screen just didn't work for me. The #1 reason for that was sense of speed. It got me thinking and the reason is pretty simple my setup isn't ideal but hey it's what I've got. Clearly VR is the way to go.

I tested with a few other experienced IRL drivers who also proceeded to crash into the walls straight away with the 'correct FoV'. I then changed the FoV to 0.8x in the Mustang at Bathurst and adjusted the seat so I could just make out a small part of the left mirror. The improvement was immediate, no more crashing on every corner and I can make a half decent lap on just about any track now on the first attempt so it works for me...

It got me thinking though, and basically what is recommended in most of these FoV discussions is the equivalent of driving in a car with everything blacked out except for a small 27" diagonal window cut into the blackout material, and driving with one eye closed. That's the only depth perception you will get apart from some simulated parallax effect which would be even worse than what you might make out IRL with one eye. If that's too much trouble you could also cut a small hole in some card about 2x1" and place the card on you your nose and again close one eye. I think most would agree this is going to lead to disaster pretty quickly duo the complete lack of peripheral visual input ie Tunnel Vision.

In short, there is no right or wrong to gaining a proper 'simulation' of driving with this type of setup, sure with 3 screens or some kind of uber monitor you can get much closer to a 1:1 representation of scale but don't get too hung up on it as everyones real life experiences are different.

Sorry for the longish post, but this has been bugging me for a while now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    No. I use proper FOV on a 32 inch screen and I always hit my braking marks. You have just trained yourself into the wrong settings that's all.

8. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    In my case, I'm like finding my view to be somewhat limited with the computed FOV. Perhaps it's because of the limited size of my triples, only 23"? Can you post some sample views with your 32" triples, for comparison (even through PM if OT)?

I also observe some cars have different coverage, so w/ my setup, I hardly see the right-side mirror w/ most cars...although weird that I do see the right-side mirrors when running AMS. I adjust seat to the position as soon as the ears disappear.

9. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I don't have triples, just a single 32. Virtual mirror and otterhud scanner gives me all the information I need to run close with other drivers.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I think that we have to enjoy the game more instead of keep tweaking and tweaking. Correct FOV will help but don't push it to much.
    A close to fine FOV is OK as well. I stopped tweaking and just started enjoy racing. My setup is perhaps not 100% life like but I have tons of fun. For me that is the most important.
    But if you like tweaking, you must tweak as much as you like of course. :D

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  11. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0

Correct, don't get this thread wrong.
    You don't have to set everything to 100% real life scale in order to have fun or to have good results.
    In fact, most record holders are driving with wrong FOV and almost no forcefeedback.

The correct FOV will/can make you a littlebit faster if you get used to it, but it's not a must have to drive fast in general, you can still be faster than anybody else with not 100% correct FOV.

What I want to achieve is some sort of real life scale with a combination of the correct FOV + Seat/View position.
    I'm getting good results now and for me at least I can drive much better than before, I feel so connected to the car and see every detail on the road like in real life with this setting, it's insane :)

But once again, drive that setting you feel the most comfortable with.
    And if you want to go to the correct FOV maybe go in small steps, like put the number closer every few weeks.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    Another Question:
    Is there a way to recenter the headposition?
    Like when Sector3 produces a virtual car they have to set a point where the general Headposition has to be.
    Maybe it's something like this possible within the documents folder?

Because It's still pretty tricky to find the correct eyeposition of the driver because the head is missing when you zoom back :D

13. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    I think you can just bind a key to something like reset seating position

14. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    Alright thank you, it's called ''Cockpit Perspective Shift Reset'', when you use that it centers the view to some point, but I think not where the virtual eyes are located. Maybe this option doesn't work correctly because of the non standard fov?

15. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    I see, only remembered you could reset the position to the original one but probably never payed attention to where the eyes were in relation to that.

Now that im thinking about it didnt ac have the virtual drivers eyes marked when looking at the car from the outiside and you could just move your current positions mark to match the virtual drivers one? Maybe something for the ideas and suggestions thread :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    It resets to default, which is just an arbitrary position really. Devs can never know what physical setup a person has so it's just set to similar to how any racing game would be. People can easily pick up the game with a pad on a laptop if needed. Then there's the option to make it realistic of the player wants

17. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    I had created a simoular thread in the AC forum, there somebody said something about virtual crosshairs in AC1 , because in ACC you don't have this either.

But hell yeah this would be a big feature for Raceroom. :D

But what the Devs could/should know is where are the Eyes of the Virtual driver, because they have to place this puppet in the correct position when they create the car. So it maybe could be possible to create these virtual crosshairs like in AC1.

Edit: here is a picture of these crosshairs in AC1:
    IMG_20191202_210649.jpg

I made a new thread as a feature request, because I doubt that any of the devs are reading all this stuff we write right here xD, so let's see if somebody even answers to that topic :)

If you guys think this is an good idea then please leave a like in that thread or maybe add some other ideas that could improve the viewing settings :)
    https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/feature-request-eyeposition-crosshairs.14016/

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  18. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    I have updated the first post.

I have just one question, if you use the view reset button in cockpit view, is the view centered at the head position or some slightly other/userfriendly position?

Because I had the same question in the ACC forum, there a Dev answered: if you reset in cockpit view you will centre at a userfriendly position, only in helmet cam it will be centred directly at the head.

19. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Not sure about singles but I do know when you use triples, the reset button will default to values based on information entered in steam.

The correct seating position would have been better or possible if perspective shift up+ down was per car. I can't understand why this option wasn't done in the first place? Because of this, I did not buy every RR car.... and some cars that I own are completely ignored.
    It is also fair to say that most cars (for triples) have pretty good default seating position but still need fine tuning in cockpit view.

In addition, I am confident that Sector 3 will make this possible in the near future. Simply its a must have.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    With single monitor it will just recenter the view position, I'm just guessing that this is the original headposition, but I'm not sure, only a dev can tell us something in that regard.

It saves the position for every car, unlike with triple screen as everybody is telling...
    I could be wrong, but as far as I know the same problem appears in other sims with triple support as well. Maybe there is (not yet) any possible option to make that work. But once again, only a dev can tell us something about it.

If you adjusting just the height without the pitch you can create some bad view angles, depending on your monitor and real seat position. Adjusting the pitch/tilt (starting from the resetpoint) at first and then if desired adjusting the height (but only in combination with the pitch), is the best way for a good view position imo. And it also has a very good side effect in most cars: you can use the ingame dashboard, as you can see in my first updated post on page 1.

The pitch adjustment is 100% necessary if you want to line up your steeringwheel with the ingame one and still keeping a realistic height, otherwise you will create a vision like a Lilliputian.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020