Recommend Heatset?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Metalogic, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Hi - whilst I have a pair of good quality headphones, I don't have a headset and can see how this is really needed for online racing (and also for talking to Jim in the Crew Chief app). I've been looking at online reviews and there seem to be different recommendations, though the Kingston HyperX (both the original non-USB Cloud and the USB Cloud II version) both seem to be highly recommended, with the Plantronics Rig also getting good reviews. Are there any other headsets worth considering that both sound good, but also have a good mic? I'm not too fussed whether it's USB or not (might be better not, as I already have a good Cambridge Audio XS DAC), and don't need wireless with my setup.

BTW my computers Mic input is separate from the audio output socket, so if the headphones have a single audio plug, I'd need to get an adapter cable e.g. something like this, but I'm okay with that.

I'd actually also prefer not to have noise-cancelling headphones, as would prefer to be able to hear a bit of background noise (like my wife calling out to me!), does that mean an open back design would be better? I'm a bit concerned about sound leakage with open back designs, or would this only be heard if sitting close to the wearer? The Sennheiser 360 open back headset looks good, if rather pricey...

My budget is up to about £150, though preferably under £100

2. rbn

rbn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I can highly recommend the Kingston HyperX Cloud.
    I have the non-usb version, which is what I prefer.
    All USB headsets have artificial 3D surround sound, which is imho just a gimmick.

The HyperX comes with 2 sets of headphone pads, one which basically make the headset closed, the other ones make is semi-open, so you can hear you wife :)

They are pretty good sounding compared to my more expensive hifi Sennheiser and Beyer Dynamic headphones and are a great fit on my head also.

The Sennheiser 36X range is also very good but imho a bit to expensive for a gaming headset.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. Ryan Callan

Ryan Callan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    I use the Corsair H2100 headset, which is wireless with superb sound quality and a great mic. Currently the best headset I've ever used.

4. Spanner_76

Spanner_76 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have a really old Corsair headset and was wondering what an upgrade might consist of. Sounds is still great out of it tho.

5. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Doing a bit more research, I'm actually tempted to just get an Antlion Modmic - this is a high quality microphone that can be used with existing headphones - it has a small mount which you stick to your headphones (probably non-removable, which I guess is a downside), but the microphone itself can be removed at any time, when not needed. It comes with more than one mount, so can be used with more than one set of headphones.

There is an extra wire, obviously, which might be a negative for some people (and obviously is not wireless, if that's your thing)

I already a own a pair of Pioneer HDJ-C70 headphones (I got this model because I do some DJing too...), which sound fantastic with my Cambridge Audio DACMagic XS (I originally got this because the audio output from my laptop produces quite alot of hiss), so any gaming headset is likely to be an audio downgrade.

There's some information about how the Modmic attaches in this video:

Here's a reputable UK seller: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/ant...tick-on-boom-mic-converts-headphones-into-cha

There's also a model without the mute switch that's £5 cheaper, whilst the mute switch could be useful, apparently this can be prone to failure, so I will likely get the version without the switch:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/ant...-boom-mic-converts-any-headphones-into-chat-g

My only concern with it is that it would be using the Mic-in jack on my laptop, and my onboard soundcard isn't that great (which is why I'm using my DACMagic for audio output - it as no audio-in, though), so that may introduce some hiss. I think I may buy it, though, and see how it works out for me.

EDIT: there's a positive review of the current (version 4.0) model here:

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  6. Vojvoda

Vojvoda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
  7. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    BTW I think the Modmic comes with two headphone clasps, so you can swap it between two sets of headphones, you can also buy a additional clasps separately.

8. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
  9. Raaf

Raaf Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    I bought a very cheap (€15) Sennheiser PC 3 Chat headset, and it works very well

[​IMG]

10. c3lix

c3lix Active Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    You really want a heatset? Damn thats pretty expensive, well go for it I guess :D

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    I probably deserved that for misspelling the post title...

12. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Sure, though I doubt that would sound as immersive as my current headphones

13. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    Def mod mic.

Then get get a good non gaming headset.

14. c3lix

c3lix Active Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    I use a Teufel AureoReal, it's a Hifi Headset without micro, it's cheap and has very good sound and as micro I use a simple desk microphone, nothing special.
    IMO all these "gaming headsets" are cheap shit with bad sound or microphone.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Well, that was my thinking too, hence the ModMic idea...

16. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    In the end, due to concerns about noise on my laptop's built-in mic input, rather than go for the ModMic (which otherwise seems like a great idea), I ended up buying a good quality USB Mic, the recently-released Samson Go Mic Connect, which can be used either in free-standing mode, or on top of a laptop or monitor. It cost about £50. All the reviews I've seen of it have been very positive.

http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/microphones/usb-microphones/gomicconnect/

[​IMG]

17. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Same Teufel here. Also like that it's open and therefore doesnt get you hot ears

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Looks like they're about £80 in the UK: http://www.teufelaudio.co.uk/headphones/headphones-aureol-real-p12277.html

They look very nice, though I already have a good pair of headphones (the Pioneer's in my sig that I mentioned earlier).

BTW being pedantic, "headset" usually means something with a mic, otherwise they're just "headphones"

Anyway, once I've received and tried out the Samson Go Mic Connect, I'll post here how that works out for me. With my current setup I'm pretty near the screen, so having a screen/desk mic shouldn't be a problem for me, though I know with some of the sim setups I've seen posted on the forum, a headset mic is really the only practical choice.

19. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    As an owner of a Turtle Beach 7.1 headset I'm inclined to agree with this. The sound quality isn't 'shit' but a few notches above shit. They feel a bit cheap too.

I'm thinking of getting a good, not too expensive set of wireless stereo headphones from a reputable brand like Sennheiser. I'm prepared to sacrifice the surround capability (which wasn't that impressive anyway) for better sound and build quality.

20. Rivanov

Rivanov New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I use the Plantronic Gamecom 788 for my PC. Works perfect and the 7.1 Surround in RaceRoom is fantastic and very immersive!

For my PS4 and Xbox One I use the Turtlebeach PX4.