Recommended Nvidia 970 GPU settings?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Metalogic, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Hi - I have an Nvidia 970M GPU with 3GB VRAM (see: http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-970M.126694.0.html ). It's a mobile GPU, so I'm guessing most people on here won't have it, but it's not that far off the desktop 970 GTX GPU in performance.

What would be good settings for this GPU with R3E, both in-game and on the Nvidia control panel? I'll be running on a single screen at 1080p resolution. Would like to be able to run the sim at 60fps or more, but with as much detail as possible.

I have space issues where I'm living, hence the laptop/no wheel setup.

2. AzkarateAsi

AzkarateAsi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    In the Nvidia controler I'll recommend you to put everithing in performance in order to gain FPS then in game look for a settings conbiantion where your FPS doesen't go under 60

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    If the 970m is like the regular 970, you should be able to have most everything maxed. Are you outputting to an external monitor or or using the built in monitor?

4. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Is there any setting that can really slow things down, though, e.g. shadows?

Currently just the internal 15.6" FHD monitor, though I'm considering getting an external 23"/24" monitor (is 16:9 best or 16:10 for R3E?) or maybe even a 27" screen, though I have very limited space, so not sure if I have room for a 27" screen. Could maybe use the laptop screen with the R3E Web Dashboard then, although I guess I could also use my 7" Kindle Fire HDX tablet for that, which has a built-in stand in the case.

The laptop has two Mini Display Port outputs, and one HDMI, if that makes any difference.

5. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Does R3E have a built-in FPS monitor, or do you just use the Steam FPS monitor?

6. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Shadows can slow things down a bit as can reflections. Try running em at each level and see what kind of framerate you get. I've run 16x9 with HDMI in the past and it worked well. You can use the steam Built in FPS monitor as well.

7. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    BTW what about anti-aliasing settings? Is it best to set those in the game or in the Nvidia control panel and how far can you push these?

8. Sascha Reynders

Sascha Reynders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
  9. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I've played around with some mild GPU overclocking with MSI Afterburner (despite the name, works with most Nvidia cards/GPUs, not just MSI ones), but I'll give Nvidia Inspector a look too.