Question Recorded footage stutters badly

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Balrog, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    As you can see in my signature, my graphics card isn't exactly a power plant, but earlier I was able to record my races in FullHD/60FPS without problems. But lately my recorded videos - especially from trackside cameras - contain annoying stuttering, while the game itself runs smoothly, even during recording. I tried everyting I could think about, I always shut down every other application and background service before I start gaming, I set my Antivirus to gaming mode, so I'm pretty sure it isn't another program which causes the trouble. And I always update my GeForce driver to the latest version via GeForce Experience.

I tried the following:
    - shut down my antivirus completely
    - turn off Vsync
    - turn on Vsync
    - recording with Shadowplay
    - recording with OBS
    - turn off my custom Anti-Aliasing settings
    - recording to my system SSD
    - recording to my backup HDD

But it seems nothing solves the issue. The strange thing is that according to the benchmarks, neither the CPU or the GPU runs at 100% while recording and temperatures are also look fine, so I ran out of things to try. Any ideas?

2. w.velgersdijk

w.velgersdijk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    I have the same since the hot fix from 02-06-2017,and also showing the rev lights from the G27 in replay!

3. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Disk activity/problems?

4. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I thought about that also, but if I lower the bitrate to the 15-20 Mbps range, the stutters are still there, I think even a dying SSD would manage writing with 1.8-2.5 MB/s.:D But I haven't noticed strange disk usage or problems during other activities.

5. TheReaper GT

TheReaper GT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    Is the GeForce experience share option enabled? It takes priority to access nvenc buffer, causing trouble to other recording apps. I don't even install GeForce experience anymore. I use only mirillis action to record and never had any problems except with ams but deleting the d3d file in the ams folder solved that too.

6. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Hm. Thanks I will try that too. Usually, I record with GFE Share (it used to be called Shadowplay), but I think it was also enabled when I recorded with OBS.

• Like Like x 1
  7. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    I always see some light stuttering, even in the live broadcast from sector3, wtcc for instance. It seems to be a part of raceroom :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    With ShadowPlay loop recording I always have stutters. If loop is set to 10 minutes, stutters starts around 6 minutes. So I do normal recording with ALT+F9.
    You can have stutters too if you record at 60FPS but the game can't handle this FPS.

9. V10_Dog

V10_Dog Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Same problem:(

10. fl0wf1r3

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    do you think it is better to record with only 30fps? I realized no difference if motion blur is on or not for instance, I can set everything to low and i still get some micro stuttering. In the Nvidia control panel I set Vsync to fast. It helps a bit. There is already a discussion about that issue. I think it is Directx 9 related? As soon as Sector3 switches to the UE it will be solved :) hopefully

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  11. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    I had perfect result with VSync activated in R3E @60FPS (with GFE direct recording alt+F9), when computer was able to maintain a stable FPS. But when most of the replay is under 60FPS, I think I have better results without VSync.

12. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    No issues on my side... I use Win10 GameDVR to record with highest settings in 60fps...

13. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys, I will experiment more with the suggestions, It only bugs me because my recordings were fine a few months ago and I don't know what's changed. Maybe the conspiracies about NVIDIA deliberately degrading the older GPU's performance with the newer drivers might be true afterall.:D

14. k.C goran

k.C goran Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
  15. TheReaper GT

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    Depends on what card do you have and the amount of recording you do. For my ocasional hot lap or race replay, the Action! app from steam is enough and do not cause any noticeable performance loss in my system. The big advantage of those dedicated cards is for streaming, some of them can unload you system quite a bit while streaming.

16. k.C goran

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    @TheReaper GT Thaught that a external Capture Card could save System Resources.

17. TheReaper GT

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    It depends, here I have a gtx 1070. I don't stream. I run most sims in 4k, recording on mirillis action to 1080/60p files with the maximum quality available, no performance loss at all.

• Like Like x 1
  18. k.C goran

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    Yeah,it depends..for live capturing and transmitting on a Service + Recording on a SSD/HDD there are a lot of Configuration's.Since Nvidia released updates,i got the best results with their Shadowplay.Before it wasn't possible to drive and Capture/Record.(Heavy input lag on screen and wheel)

19. fl0wf1r3

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0

45,99€ for a capture software? is it worth it?

20. TheReaper GT

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    I have no idea if it's worth 45,99. I paid 19,99 U$ and for me it's worth every penny.... As here in Brazil capture cards are hard to find and very expensive, it is a good compromise.