Recording real FOV videos

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ravey1981, Jan 13, 2019.

1. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Most of you will have seen Georg Ortner's real FOV videos but have any of you done your own? I have tried filming with a phone but the camera angle is too wide... What sort of camera would be best?

I assume it would be best to feed the game sound straight into the camera if possible too rather than trying to pick up sound from speakers....

2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I have not seen his videos, but if you want to use real camera and get game sounds, then for example you can use OBS studio to record video from camera and audio from computer.

Not sure which camera you would need, for POV usually wide angle action cameras are used, but if phones lens is too wide, then maybe something else like webcam is better.

I used cheap action cam for this and recorded sounds from computer using stereo mix in OBS Studio:

Essentially if you replace camera with something narrower angle lens equipped model, then that should work somewhat ok I guess.

Not sure how one would tape webcam to his forehead though, but avoid gorilla tape, if you have hair that is :)