Replay storage location

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by FuzzyFassbender, Feb 28, 2015.

1. FuzzyFassbender

FuzzyFassbender Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Hope I didn't miss the answer to this...I did attempt a search.

I use an SSD for my system drive and install most everything else to an SATA drive because of limited space on the SSD (steam root on the SATA drive) but R3E saves its replays to the user profile folder - on the SSD. I like how R3E automatically saves replays but I don't want all of them on my SSD.

Can the location for replays be changed?

2. Hannes Wallstedt

Hannes Wallstedt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

There is currently no way to change the location of where replays are saved. A part of this, I believe, is that the user folder is one of the few places where Windows allows us to save files without requiring higher permissions (Admin rights for example).

3. janni

janni Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Haven't tried it myself, but "symlinks" (mklink command) should do it.

4. Winpoks

Winpoks Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    You can change windows "my document" directory to an other drive if you want.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. FuzzyFassbender

FuzzyFassbender Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, but then some other things break - installations, updates, etc.. I redirect for my mobile user base at work then work around the few idiosyncrasies that arise but at home I reverted back to the default - I don't remember the exact software/game that gave me headaches.

6. FuzzyFassbender

FuzzyFassbender Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, this may be the ticket... I would like the granular control. Thanks

7. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    A blast from the past... (above)

I'm just wondering in the 3 and a half years since this post if there is any change to the 'best answer' given?

I love replays but would rather they didn't write to my SSD (c: drive). Is there a way of changing where they are saved?

8. Lucas dos Santos

Lucas dos Santos Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I think that using mklink /j command, in order to create a hard link to a new folder still is the best solution: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

• Like Like x 1
  9. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  10. F1Indyracer

F1Indyracer New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I’d really like to see an option to pick another location for just the replay data.

My documents directory and all of my game preference files stored there are synced from MS onedrive and it is just the additional replay files that keep taking me close enough to the 5GB limit of free storage.

I tried moving the directory elsewhere and using mklink /J but onedrive just backs up the linked directory anyway….

I know I could either pay for more storage or give up on my user documents directory being in the cloud and just have everything local but without the replays everything would be less than 2.5GB and it is nice to have the configuration files backed up.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, that would be a nice option. For now, if you don't use replays often, you can manually move them out of that default folder to where you want to store them.

Can you exclude some folders from syncing in OneDrive? Something like that maybe?

12. F1Indyracer

F1Indyracer New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    From what I can see it is more complex sadly as you can only stop syncing all the documents folder not specific directories within. Probably because when installing windows 11 it creates a cloud based user account by default so the files on the computer are not the master copy just synced copies.
    That’s why it would nice to be able to choose elsewhere from within the game.

13. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    If you click on this arrow ">", does it not unfold the list of folders to choose among them?
    upload_2023-7-9_16-10-38.png

14. F1Indyracer

F1Indyracer New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I can get to that screen and untick the replays directory but it says “if you hide these folders on your PC, the files will stay on onedrive but won’t be available on this PC. Any items in this folder will be deleted from this PC.”

i.e. on a default Win11 install the cloud is effectively the main drive and the local version is just a copy.