ReShade - Post Processing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Georg Ortner, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Georg Ortner

Georg Ortner KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +3,508 / 0 / -0
    Another try using http://reshade.me/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Preset is attached.

I only use it for screenshots. I do not recommend using it during normal gameplay.

If you want to give it a try, do the following:

1. Download and unpack http://reshade.me/ to any location
    2. Download the attached file and unpack it into the ReShade\Presets folder
    3. Launch the ReShade assistent
    4. Add a Profile for R3E
    5. Select the provided preset
    6. Launch R3E
    7. IMPORTANT: For the DOF to work you need to set Depth Linearization to 0 in the Assistant
    8. IMPORTANT: Disable AA in the game´s visual settings (otherwise DOF won't work)
    9. IMPORTANT: Enable complex motion blur in the game´s visual settings (or there will be artifacts)
    10. Get familiar with the free cam options in R3E. Move the camera around and zoom in to get the car in focus.
    11. Press F10 to enable/disable DOF

To uninstall remove the R3E Profile in the ReShade Assistant.

This is in no way related to Sector3 Studios, and no official support will be provided.
    These are my own private settings. Use at your own risk.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 14
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  2. FuzzyFassbender

FuzzyFassbender Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I prefer the higher contrast of the original.

I myself try not to use add-ons such as this (ReShade, SweetFX, ...) as it adds addition variables to the mix, and if I have problems (FPS hit, crashing, ...) with a game who's to blame. If there was a night-day difference I may take a dip but the difference is too subtle.
    Take a look at the pCARS forums, some users are posting various hangs/crashing issues using "Reshade". The only game I would attempt to improve the look would be rFactor 2, but I already have frame rate issues with that one :mad:

My $.02

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for sharing that Georg. I prefer second image. I'd really like to have some brightness/contrast/gamma settings in game itself (and simple calibration screen like in Forza 5). Game is currently too dark on my monitor, and monitor is calibrated.

4. wedge

wedge New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey Georg! I've been playing with ReShader + ME too, but for SCE. Check this gallery - http://imgur.com/a/Ydrab
    It's available to download on RaceDepartment in case you wanna take a look.

I'll port it for R3E =)

From my experience, don't even bother with DOF. It can make the driving experience a little dizzy and doesn't make much difference.

5. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    Mmmh don't like that much... glow/bloom makes everything a bit dull (cheesy sometimes) in my opinion. If I had to modify something it would just be contrasts (a bit more harsh) and saturation.
    But overall I really like the current look of the game (with realistic mood file running)

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Georg Ortner

Ratings:
    +3,508 / 0 / -0
    Wouldnt use it for driving either, but maybe in replays.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Robert Gerke

Robert Gerke Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Hi Georg,

have you a new one? like more realistic/natural colors and style?

Gruss, Rob

8. Georg Ortner

Ratings:
    +3,508 / 0 / -0
    Nope, i actually stopped using it. Costs too much performance, and the effects dont really look all that great.
    But you can use it to adjust saturation for example. Just disable/enable the post processing filters in the ini file.

9. Glen Kabis

Glen Kabis Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +199 / 0 / -0
    I've always had problems getting this to run with RaceRoom for some reason but @::SKRO:: brought it back up to me the other day and I messed around with it for awhile and was finally able to get it working (maybe I should check the readme's out more.) Like the original post from Georg says I'm also using ReShade: http://reshade.me/. @Tarik Userli @marciovs28

This is how I got it working, your results may vary:
    • Unzip it somewhere convenient
    • Copy the ReShade32.dll to your \Steam\steamapps\common\raceroom racing experience\game\ directory
    • Rename ReShade32.dll to d3d9.dll
    • Run the Mediator.exe in the directory you originally unzipped it to
    • In the Mediator, click Add
    • Browse to your \Steam\steamapps\common\raceroom racing experience\game\ directory, select RRRE.exe
    • Make sure Direct3D 9 is selected, hit Confirm
    • Hit Add
    • Hit Update
    • Hit Permanent Push to Application at bottom with orange background
    • Goto Steam -> Library, right click RaceRoom Racing Experience -> Properties, uncheck the Steam Overlay option
    • Disable any other overlays that may be running, I think that was my problem in the past with my TeamSpeak overlay always running
    • Run RaceRoom
    • If the program is working properly, you'll see some text in the top left
    • Turn full screen off / run it in windowed mode to make it easier to mess around with settings
    • There are a bunch of different tabs at the top giving you access to various effects, I mostly used the Pipeline tab
    • After selecting an effect, hit Apply in the top right, go back to Setup tab, Hit Permanent Push to Application at bottom with orange background
    • The selected effect(s) should be pushed to the game
    • Also under the Setup tab you can manage different presets, you'll want to hit Update to save them I think and you can set up various ones for different things

I attached my presets I'm using, you can unzip it into the default directory here \ReShade Framework 1.1.0\ReShade\PersonalFiles\Presets\. I haven't spent much time tweaking the effects, I've mostly just used what's available in the Pipeline tab, you can left click to adjust the settings further.

Some effects that I've found useful are:
    • Pipeline -> TILTSHIFT - Adds a tiltshift / depth of field effect
    • Pipeline -> MOTION_FOCUS - Use this one when viewing TV-style replay cameras, it adds some movement to the scene and makes it come alive
    • Pipeline -> AMBIENT_LIGHT - This is one that really changes the lighting around, it has some dirt texture overlay enabled by default that seems to affect the brightness of the scene, you can modify the image it uses here: \ReShade Framework 1.1.0\ReShade\GemFX\Textures\dirtOVR.png or just disable it I guess
    • Pipeline -> HEATHAZE - Not a great effect but can maybe be tweaked to look cool in some scenes

Other tips:
    • Scroll Lock is the default key to enable/disable the effects (hotkey can be changed in the Mediator program)
    • Print Screen is the default key to take screenshots, they will be saved in the /game/ directory, using the in-game or steam hotkeys won't show the effects you're using (hotkey can be changed in the Mediator program)
    • Move the d3d9.dll out of the /game/ directory to disable everything. I would suggest not actually using this program while racing, especially online. In my testing it degrades performance and can make loading times longer and/or affect other users in some circumstances (race session will be green before you're done loading.) You do not need to the Mediator program running for the effects to still work
    • Don't forget you disabled the Steam Overlay earlier, so you'll need to re-enable it if you purchase items from the store while in-game
    • If you get random errors (red text on screen) just hit apply / permanent push to application again and it will sometimes fix itself
    The program seems pretty complicated and sometimes buggy. If I'm doing something wrong, or if you find any tricks or cool settings share them here. Good luck.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  10. Cheeseman

Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    Hi Greg! I find the Reshade made the game looked odd while I admit that I really like the default color saturation of R3E. The colors and atmosphere of the game always looked better than other games for me as I find R3E to look quite lively, vibrant and colorful to me. Adding thicker DoF or lens flare does take a little from that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Glen Kabis

Glen Kabis Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +199 / 0 / -0
    Who's Greg? =P. I agree I love the way the game looks stock. The settings I used are way too over the top. It was more a project to get this program working as I never could in the past. But I do think it offers some unique things that could be used for more highlight-related videos or screenshots without being too flashy.

12. ::SKRO::

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    I'm definitely not a fan of highly processed food or anything that is not organic so my dislike extends also to what my eyes see.
    I already applied the realistic.mood file we have in the moods folder eons ago and that's way better than the default mood version the game ships with (less saturation and slightly increased contrast)
    That said I've been fiddling with ReShade too after Glen Greg :D helped me re-install it and what I did were just minimal adjustments (the way one should treat anything that's visual) to get more contrast, remove the blue tint, color correcting just a tad and eventually add a bit of depth of field.
    Sure it's not an easy thing to do as it's all sliders and numerical values with no direct effect (cause you need to save and apply constantly) but in the end the result was more than acceptable. Then I screwed it up cause I started to move stuff around sure I would have had the chance to go back where I was.. boy was wrong! :)
    I had to scrap everything and I'll have to restart from zero again, but this time, once achieved what I want, I promise I'll stop :)

13. Georg Ortner

Ratings:
    +3,508 / 0 / -0
    I have been playing around with this again too. See updated first post.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Is that as simple as renaming realistic as default?

Edit nevermind, tried it, yes it is!

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  15. ::SKRO::

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    Done my version too today! Pretty happy with results. :D

Note: I had already the Realistic.mood filter applied (renamed to default.mood) in the mood folder (..\SteamApps\common\raceroom racing experience\Game\Shaders\dx9\fx\moods)

BEFORE
    [​IMG]
    AFTER
    [​IMG]

BEFORE
    [​IMG]
    AFTER
    [​IMG]

BEFORE
    [​IMG]
    AFTER
    [​IMG]

BEFORE
    [​IMG]
    AFTER
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  16. Georg Ortner

Ratings:
    +3,508 / 0 / -0
    Updated the first post with my new settings.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. tcb77

tcb77 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Very good Georg, I will try here. It would be great if we could use it during normal gameplay. If you achieve a good result, please let me know ok!

18. Georg Ortner

Ratings:
    +3,508 / 0 / -0
    Well its not like you cant use it during gameplay, but especially the DOF wont look very good, as it works with manual focus only.

• Like Like x 1
  19. tcb77

tcb77 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Something went wrong here Georg. I tried in every way to make it work but without success. I downloaded the last version, maybe could be this or video resolution, I'm using 1920x1080 60hz... Tried rename ReShade32.dll to d3d9.dll but nothing seems to make Works...RaceRoom does not start. If you have any other tips let me know ok.

20. Georg Ortner

Ratings:
    +3,508 / 0 / -0
    There is no need to rename anything.
    Run the Assistant and create a profile for RaceRoom, as described in the first post.
    More information how to use reshade can be found on their website.