rFactor 2

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mihai, Sep 16, 2016.

1. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    I just love it. Had many great races under several weather conditions during night and day, have to choose my line carefully and TBH I can do just about the same lap times as in others with the exception physics and ffb are just way better.

Similar experience only in another sim really.

In rF2 I just adjust the ffb multiplier per car and the ffb smoothing. That's it.

The big let down is the graphics... nowadays it just won't cut it even with everything maxxed out! The sounds err.. well, I can live with those but you guys know :D and the lack of decent modding. There are a few good but I'm always missing something especially track related!

But with regard to physics and FFB... still ahead of a few, way ahead.

• Like Like x 1
  2. mmaruda

mmaruda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    I came to certain realization today. Here is my main problem with rFactor 2 and rFactor 1 as well. It's designed as a platform. You get a universal racing sim engine and can (in theory) any content there and to show it of you get some content, but everything seems like a slice of the experience. I think that this approach opened some doors and if you look at current-gen games, they all follow the same routine. They try to be jack of all trades. Insert mandatory F1 car here, some GT3, a street car (or like 50, if you are Assetto Corsa), probably a classic racer, some tracks from various parts of the world and that is it. Career mode is neglected, nothing seems to simulate a full series (maybe except R3E) or even all the aspects of a particular series.

Here is what I played yesterday: Nascar Racing 2003. It looks ancient, but works flawlessly on modern hardware, with all possible resolution support. The game is amazing, everything is there, setups, pit stops, animated pit crews, a spotter, good AI. Basically by focusing on one series, they could simulate every aspect of that series fully. And older sims used to do that. GPL was all about classic F1, GTL was classic touring, GTR was about modern GT and Goeff''s Grand Prix series provided F1 fans with all they could expect from a game about it.

Fast forward to nowadays and we have each sim developer trying to please fans of all types of racing and none can deliver an experience that feels complete. It's either lack of weather, or day-night cycle, or lack of pit-stops or crappy AI, or bad graphics or poor performance. So while back in the day, an enthusiast of a specific series could just buy one game and be happy, now we end up buying them all, since they all have at least one car and a few tracks that cover our needs, but none delivers the complete package (ok maybe Dirt Rally does). So you buy one, then wait till gets patched, then wait for mods, they buy the DLC, then buy another one, rinse and repeat. I mean seriously, most people I know or even discuss simracing online have bought at least CARS, Assetto, something for Raceroom and AMS recently, a good chunk has rFactor 2 and plays iRacing. And a significant amount of those people drive 1 or 2 cars on regular in all these games.

Eddit: Late addition - what irritates me most about the situation, is that I can't help but get the impression that we are in this situation because ISI wasn't ever interested in selling us a game, they wanted to sell us a platform (that they didn't bother to finish) and when it turned out that they actually need to develop that platform to at least resemble a game they work on it for some time and eventually gave up and sold everything to another dev.

The weird thing is, nobody's even slightly angry about this. Look at games like No Man's Sky, devs hyped them did not deliver on the promises and eventually went silent after the whole thing exploded. It wasn't that different with rFactor 2 from my point of view of an early backer, yet now that they are basically showing it onto someone else, people say it's good news.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  3. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Right, but things like that are easier said than done. Let's hope for the best, but see what happens.

What I mean is certain settings require modifying .json file. If you want to change/fix a track/car, you need to learn packing/unpacking/updates. If you want to have real time weather, you need to get Developer key from some website. People around me just want to hit "play" and enjoy, that's why I am not sure about accessibility.
    Yet again - accessibility vs flexibility and power, those are conflicting things in general. I am grateful there's platform like rF2.

....add to that safety car and not perfect, but best flag system available and better than average damage model, and not even GTR2 comes close (funny enough I sometimes think rain looks better in GTR2)

4. mmaruda

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    If someone could mod GTR2 so that is would have adjustable wheel lock (the virtual one I mean), I'd probably play that more than any other racing game, for the reasons from my previous post.

5. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Can you clarify a bit? What wheel do you have? I didn't have problem with lock in GTR2 with either G27 nor CSW V2. It is a matter of adjusting degrees in Logitech app or CSW wheel internal settings - that will determine stop point. Steering lock will help adjusting ratio (sensitivity). On G27, I liked running all cars at 900 (so 900 physical lock, as motor lock was to weak for my taste), but adjust steering lock to desired ratio. Which is not very realistic though.
    Now look at us, we're talking about GTR2, haha!!! Seriously, due to lack of interesting (to me) H-shifted content in rF2, I am playing GTR2/PnG nowadays (currently 24hr at Spa ETCC 1972). But, DTM, BTCC, GT3, Karts and F1 I play only in rF2.

6. mmaruda

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    What I meant is the wheel that is visible in the cockpit (not my DFGT) - the drivers hands are always on and the wheel only turns 90 degrees to each side. I guess other racing sims have spoiled me with this and now going back to cockpit in which the wheel does not match my controllers movements is problematic to get used to again.

7. Matej Lakota

Matej Lakota Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    So, let s stay with rFactor2 rather than GTR2. Someone has mentioned Virtual Endurance Championship we drive at SimRacingClub http://simracing.club/index.php .

Thanks to ETJ, director of documentary film about rFactor 2 Closing the gap, even Mark Webber knows about VEC :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. juan Fafian

juan Fafian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    stolen steam keys for rfactor2

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Mihai

Mihai Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    The moment many of Rfactor 2 fans waited for has arrived! Enduracers released the 1st build of Endurance Series mod.

• Like Like x 1
  10. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Mihai

Mihai Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    Nice addition, mate! Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mihai

Mihai Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Mihai

Mihai Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Mihai

Mihai Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
  15. juan Fafian

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    wooow rfactor2 winter sale $15.99

16. juan Fafian

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
  17. Mihai

Mihai Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    RFactor 2 early christmas with this Nissan from studio 397.

18. Stefan Mizzi

Stefan Mizzi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    So I finally moved my offline rFactor 2 to Steam, it was for FREE, I downloaded a few stuff from the WorkShop and did some offline racing with the UFS2000 on Road America...OH BOY!....I don't know what happened or if they changed something, but I was totally blown away how good it felt, the feedback/feeling I got from the car was amazing!

I've very glad with how things are going, have to say I missed rF2, and it seems I can enjoy it again like I do with Raceroom and Assetto Corsa :)

• Like Like x 2
  19. goldtop

goldtop Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Same here. Lost patience with rF2 when it first came out but decided to give it another try and glad I did. The old cars around Spa '66 are worth the admission price imo.

20. Mihai

Mihai Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    Roadmap Update March

And because an image speaks a thousand words :)
    [​IMG]

I'm eagerly waiting for Radical to come and not only!

• Like Like x 3