rFactor 2

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mihai, Sep 16, 2016.

1. memoNo1

memoNo1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Today we are again racing in our GT3 488 Evo over this legendary Spa circuit in the usual S397 top quality.

2. memoNo1

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0

Thrilling racing action guaranteed in Portland [official content from S397] !
    This Corvette has it all!
    From the looks to the sound to the handling!
    Typical 1a quality of S397!
    Enjoy it!
    This was not my last race with the C7 !

3. memoNo1

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0

Today we're thundering down the Atlanta track in the Radical GT3 over one of the most impressive tracks beyond the Nordschleife in the rain!
    Buckle up, if this isn't Nxt Lvl SimVRacing, I don't know what is!

Enjoy!!!

4. memoNo1

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0

Hello everybody!
    Today I want to introduce you to another treasure from the modding world of rF2.
    The Toyota Celica GTO!
    This car has amazing physics. You can feel the impact of the chassis, the weight transfer and the limit of the tyres!
    If you haven't tested it yet, you should do it now at the latest.
    This is a real man's car that is 100% nanny free, no TC & no ABS!

5. memoNo1

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0

Hello my friends. Today once again a race with what I think is the best simulated FWD mod in simracing.
    The Argentine STC2000 from VRC!

6. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Bought it in the current steam sale and spent the most frustrating evening trying to get it to even launch without crashing. Once it did, with the old UI forced on, the tracks took an eternity to load and when they finally did the car handling was anything but enjoyable and the FPS diabolical, and that was in single player.

I would rank this well below Raceroom, AC or Automobilista of the older gen games and it is a total mystery to me why some people still rate it so highly!

Uninstalled and refund requested. Lesson learnt and I´ll put the money towards trusted Raceroom content in the next sale instead.

• Like Like x 4
  7. ajopp1

ajopp1 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Did you take your time to dial in FFB, graphica etc? Just curious, because the general consensus is that rfactor does FFB and handling best out of all sims but no sim suits everyone out of the box... I haven't played rfactor yet but I can already imagine the fiddling :confused:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Gazza

Gazza Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    The first time you load a track or car it does take a while to load, of all the sims I personally enjoy the ffb and physics of RF2 the most, you may have needed a little more time to adjust or appreciate it. I have never dialled in the ffb just adjusted the strength per car:)
    I also really enjoy Raceroom ffb and physics:)

9. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    I find the FFB rather hyperactive and over the top and handling is pretty slidey, even with high aero cars, in my subjective opinion. Actually one of my least favourite driving experiences right now (except some non-S397 cars). Everything dialed in, almost 300h in rF2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    I agree. The handling is a bit like watching a silent movie where the actors exaggerate their facial expressions to get effect. Obviously handling is very subective, I hated RRE tyre model 4.0 for instance as it was like driving a car with 4 punctures.

Didn´t try FFB as the trusty keyboard won´t make use of it, but the main issue for me is when a game needs to be worked on for around for 2h to even load to the menu properly and you spend ages waiting for everything to download and validate then wait again for every track to load, it feels more like some high school kid´s summer computer project than a commercial game. For 30 euros full price, the standard content is sparse too. I also expected it too run a lot faster seeing as it is the oldest game on the market still being supported. The sounds are also the worst of all the games. My PC is an I5 7th gen with 950GTX card and runs the other 3 older gams just fine. I´d say the two best elements are the track quality and the weather settings.

Assetto Corsa does everything RF2 does better with less fuss and that´s the reason why it still has such a strong player and modder base. RF2 seems more like a kit car for people who enjoy more the endless tinkering with settings and modding rather than actual in seat driving time. That some people prefer 3rd party content to the official stuff is a case in point.

RF2 has also made me appreciate RRE more as although the graphics are maybe not the best and the pay model neither, you get a more stable game which you can just hop in and play for a couple of hours and they do normally get round to fixing things when they go wrong.

I

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  11. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    rF2 isn't a keyboard game at all though. Not in 100 years. It has some options to add some driveability, but this is never working out!
    Not all. Back then, rF2 was amazing for endurance racing, even with AI. Also you can attack kerbs really well in rF2.
    When rF2 runs, it really fires on all cylinders, but 80% of the time, it unfortunately doesn't.

Yes, R3E has the best "out of the box" experience and some cars are actually top tier of all sims out there IMO.
    Some S397 cars are just obviously broken (even some cars, that some users describe as the bestest evaaar) and they don't bother to fix it, so i don't bother to buy content for it anymore, for now.

BUT:
    When it works, rF2 is an amazing experience and has some of the best sim racing tracks to race on...but like mentioned. It's pretty frustrating as an user experience most of the time.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Yeah but after wasting 5 hours just to get started, there is no way I was going to start setting up a wheel and go into FFB hell after all those shenaningans.

All competently designed games can be played on keys or indeed a pad - RRE is fine now they fixed the problems with tyre model 4.0 it is possible to ride kerbs and catch slides whereas before I was a passenger with keys or a wheel when the car started to get out of shape. I remember complaining a lot about that at the time and people telling me I was the problem, but does anyone really think 4.0 was better, more realistic or fun than 4.1?

I totally agree that RF2 could be good within the very narrow operating window it has but it is so off putting on first try that they will lose a lot of players who are not willing or able to put time into working around its defects.

13. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Yes, i know that stuff, believe me, like mentioned, i have spent quite some time with it. It's like Stockholm Syndrome, some fantastic Mods are drawing me back to it from time to time, but that's about it right now. :D

rF2 can be played on keys. It can be even driven pretty fast with a gamepad, but the settings are quite difficult to get right, it's basically still on a base, that F1 Challenge used back then, in this regard. So you will not drive quite good on keys.:)

14. fireballr18

fireballr18 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    Thats a rough number :D
    I estmate 99.99% ;)
    No serious ai-race possible anymore, cars broken or BOP for the bin. A real mess...

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    The weird thing is that the older demo version runs fine and I had an offline pirate copy from a year or so ago that also ran ok. I downloaded the WEC 2011 pack and the cars were driveable. Loading times were still an issue but it seems the new UI and physics updates have been for the worse in my case.

Automobilista, its cousin, works fine on a keyboard once you adjust the sensitivity settings (it takes about 5 minutes to find a good balance and you don´t need to reload the track) but the feeling is it has been polished to the maximum point you can polish a turd, maybe that´s why they changed game engine for v2.0.

16. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    I wonder if the development budget is spent on paying Youtubers to push the product. It makes no sense to me how this game gets positive reviews when stuff like Project Cars (whatever the version) is universally trashed. I know PC are using the EA business model of annual re releases of the same game and content and don´t listen to their customets, but at least those games are well presented and run!

17. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Not at all.
    AMS1 is based on the rF1 engine and with Pacejka tyres. It's a way older foundation, than rF2. :D (which is even more shocking :D)

18. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    So let´s say stepfather then! Proves the point that a game engine is only as good as the people who are programming with it, both for graphics and physics.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Jacob Marshall

Jacob Marshall Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Pretty much how I feel about RF2 at the moment, and how I felt about R3E after the Dec 19 update; that update moved me to RF2.

The thing with R3R Dec19 and RF2 now is that Dec 19 had one issue - it ruined FFB for me, and that took the better part of a year to find settings that worked for me.
    RF2 now is, imo, just a disjointed mess:
    too many settings hidden in jsons;
    too many issues getting the game running smoothly*;
    the AI is an utter pig lacking any awareness and over-the-top Stability Compensation which runs any chance of an enjoyable offline experience**;
    online is limited to organised/league races***;

The new UI, cba to go into that one.

It's a shame, because I think the FFB and driving experience is the best out there by a country mile (when the game loads), but given the state of the AI and the restrictive online experience...basically, when you can get it running it's a cool hot-lap game.

Right now, R3R offers me:
    good FFB (thanks to Rasmus);
    good AI, though it needs LESS Stability Compensation and options to race a range of AI skill/be able to induce an extra % chance to make mistakes;
    easy online options, from Leaderboards to (un)Ranked Servers,
    and fun.

There's just no fun in RF2 atm; maybe in a year or two, but right now I prefer to just load R3R, shout at the understeer of the 235i at Laguna and enjoy myself; I'm done with jsons, I just want to drive.

*God help you if Steam crashes mid-game as it'll bollox up Steam's manifest file and force you to 're-install'
    ** The Stability Control means being hit by AI is like being hit by a moving brick wall.
    *** Jury's out on that one until I see it...to be fair, I thought VLM-24 was a massive success, so some hope there.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Nikolas

Nikolas New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    How Rasmus helped you? Can you explain please?

• Like Like x 1