rFactor 2

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mihai, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
  2. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Rfactor2 seems to be doing fine against Ignition but they are small fish in a big pond ruled by ETS2. Never imagined dropping loads was so popular.

3. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    I also read a while ago that CM forwarded DR to another team which might result in a more hardcore DR Franchise, while they might go full commercial/mainstream with the WRC Series, like they do with their F1 franchise: I once tried F1 (20xx) for a free weekend trial but have immediately thrown it from my HD, even before I came to actually run one of these cars just because of that registration process alone and the whole super commercial Star Cult/ F1 Circus thing around it...I'm not 16 and I'm not a consumers dummy anymore - hate shit like that :D
    I also gave up on rF2 "the eternal construction side" while I enjoyed AMS2 for a while now. Compared to RRE with AMS2 you can see what RRE might look and feel like in terms of GFX and atmosphere cause both games share similar basic concepts, but RRE is still more polished & refined in terms of handling and physics (due to almost ten years of development).
    And despite the lack of more advanced grafics RRE remains a good choice for kinda classic simracing purists who still don't care much about finesse in terms of "sugar coating" but pure racing itself:)...On the other hand, racing AMS 2 made me feel a bit sad about RRE, cause having those time-of-day and weather options e.g. night racing, rain, fog or even authentic behaviour of daylight & fine differences in track conditions resulting, adds so much to the immersion to the experience...while still accessable without the need to become a race engineer too (like with ACC and its limitation due to "GT3/4 only")..

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  4. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Well, I certainly hope that won't be the case, unless the next DR will also get the WRC cars and locations.:D Could you maybe provide the source of that information?

5. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    No, been a while and I forgot where to find that statement, just remember that it was a short notice by CM themselves... :(...but as things often change during those development processes...who knows what it will become eventually ?
    Tho in terms of their conventional business strategies it would be a plausible scenario. CM surely won't "sacrifice" that WRC license to a "handful" of (former or actual RBR) hardcore freaks like us.
    So much money to make :D...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  6. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    What about that exploit of tyre physics when you drop pressures to the minimum? Did they fix it?

7. azaris

azaris Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    It's a real-life thing that teams run the lowest tyre pressures they can get away with when they want maximum grip out of the tyres. It's just that the sims with physical tyre models (iRacing also has something similar) don't properly model the negative aspects of it, like excessive sidewall flex resulting in risk of damage and increased rolling resistance, so it just becomes a set-and-forget type of thing instead of something you need to actively optimise.

It's still better than the "all cars must run at 27.5 psi at all times or be completely undriveable" model of AC/ACC...

8. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    So it's still a big exploit and they aren't fixing it for years. Got it. :)

Do you have a link where I can read more about that? It kinda contradicts with what Alex says: low pressure -> middle part of the tread isn't pressed into tarmac hard enough -> lower grip.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
  9. azaris

azaris Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    The diagram you may have seen where an underinflated tyre is "sagging" in the middle is misleading - if the tyre pressure is still above atmospheric pressure it's not going to sag inwards. It's going to look more like a flat tyre with a large contact patch. And while a larger contact patch doesn't translate to a higher friction coefficient, it gives a lower average load per unit area, which translates into somewhat higher grip because rubber is load sensitive. The price to pay is that rolling resistance goes up.

A severely underinflated tyre has insufficient sidewall stiffness and excessive sidewall flex, which causes the sidewalls to overheat and results in the usual concave temperature distribution where the sidewalls run hot but the middle point of the contact patch is cool. So the average temperature across the tread is slightly lower (because of Alex's Law), but it overheats at the sidewalls and potentially causes a blowout over time.

Therefore: Deflated tyres = slightly more grip, lower average temperature, potential damage to the sidewalls, and excessive rolling resistance.

10. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
    rF2 has tons of issues, unfinished sim features since the ISI days but hey some new bling bling to distract from them :tearsofjoy:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    If you are stuck in sand or mud you deflate tyres to have a wider contact patch but also much more rolling resistance as anyone who has ridden a bike with a flat will know. Under inflated tyres will also heat up more so wear increases but I guess for a hot lap on a track with lots of corners they are a good option.

12. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, that's obviously not going to happen, that's why I said "isn't pressed into tarmac hard enough". What you say sounds reasonable, but so do Alex's explanations. That's why I asked for a link.

If what you say is true, that would mean that in series that allow quali tyres, the cars run in quali on a lower pressure. Does it happen? How much lower the quali pressure is?

Alex calls it a misconception and says it's the other way around. For series without tyre blankets he recommends to increase pressure for quali so that your tyres heat up a bit faster.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
  13. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I think both cases are true in the real world. Too high pressure and the tyres will be like stones so have no impact absorbency and will slide more (similar to a hard anti roll bar), causing them to heat up and even blow out. Too low and you will have better initial traction but also a lot of rolling resistance and that will also heat the tyre up and cause wear.

Whether the game engine deals with these in a different way, I don´t know, certainly the objective is to have balanced inner middle and outer temperatures.

14. nolive721

nolive721 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    That’s fair but I guess they are banking on consolish more friendly UI to bring new people to the Game then focus on long lasting issues fix with the added revenue

at least that’s what I hope because some cars physics there are really bad for example and my MP experience from here in Japan has been terrible so if they could improve on that it would be great

• Like Like x 1
  15. azaris

azaris Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure which series even allows qualifying tyres any more. But as you point out below, in qualifying you might actually run higher pressures because that way the tyres get up to working temperature faster, which matters a lot in short qualifying stints.

16. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  17. memoNo1

memoNo1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    My first mind too after i heard this is just cosmetic!

My confidence is gone!
    Too many promises since 2019 and hardly any action!
    I've had enough!
    I don't think much will happen here either..
    That's it!

18. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    80% off

19. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Are official DLCs worth buying? Some of them are on sale too.

20. memoNo1

memoNo1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I tested the UI extensively yesterday.
    And it is very beautiful and atmospheric.
    Of course the bugs are still there.
    And various new ones, such as controller settings cannot be overwritten.
    Great is definitely, there is now PTP!
    Hopefully it will be used soon.
    As for the rest, I'm cautious.
    I've been comforted too often.
    I only believe in change when I see it.
    I have created a small video where I mention various problems at the end.
    Will it do anything?
    No idea..
    At least the Monza AIW should finally be fixed.
    Luckily there is RRRE. Soon with Ferrari..