rFactor 2

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mihai, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    Gentlemen, start your engines!!! ... very nice, very nice :hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:... Back in the days, when NASCAR was still NASCAR! Would be a great car for R3E too!!! I really hate the f**king modern racing world! Money, money, money ... $$$ that's all that counts :mad:.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  2. mmaruda

mmaruda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    For anyone interested, the mod is called Stock Car Resurrection, comes with a bunch of cars (Dodge, Chevy, Mercury and Ford I think) and can be easily found on the workshop.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    Thx very much for the info buddy! I don’t own the full version of rFactor2 until now, but this mod looks amazing :cool:! I was a great NASCAR fan until the late 2000s. Unfortunately, NASCAR sucks nowadays :mad: but a virtual reanimated version of the old true stock car area would be a good pastime :cool:. I still hope that we see some old Trans-Am Series cars at first and then some old NASCAR Cup Series cars like this 1971 Dodge Charger :cool: in R3E one day. Fingers crossed!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=866993174&searchtext= … hot! Ouch!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  4. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Me neither, but that is because I ditched a few mods that were really bad on the graphics side, which points out that for some people (me included) graphics are important too...
    It is not all about physics and sounds. I can understand that for others graphics are not important, but I'm in for the whole package for complete immersion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    I agree with you here as well @Fanapryde. Even though I abandoned pCars due to lack of any real series/flag rules/safety car and poor (by my taste) collision physics, I often miss visual atmosphere. Weather was done really nicely in that game. So graphics is immersion contributor.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Which is why I often end my daily session in pCars, whatever other sim I have been racing in before. It's a "feelgood" thing to me, though the word 'feel' is not really correct, I should maybe just say it's a "lookgood" thing :D

7. Mihai

Mihai Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    Roadmap update for april is here and for sure I'll try the beta.

8. mmaruda

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    I wish they did something with the oval AI - at it's current state it's bad. They are either insanely fast on high setting or slow on something I can manage, to the point where I end up in wrecks all the time, because they keep braking in corners.

9. Travis P

Travis P Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    I'm really hopeful the studio-397 can manage to turn rF2 around to what we all hope it will be. I can recall R3E being far from what it is today when I first signed on a beta tester - our sim has come a long way from where it began and I forsee rF2 doing the same.

The DX 11 upgrade looks fantastic in the screenshots with new shaders to come and the new Radical licence has me even more excited! I'd like a lot more tracks to the ISI level of polish; a URD of track making would be nice - shame Feels3 was snapped up by Sector 3!

Perhaps in time with the DX 11 dialed in and better documentation, modders will come back in droves to make new tracks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. William Wester

William Wester Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    I actually had a couple of very good oval races last night, the AI seemed much better than I remember from some months ago. On the short oval Joesville was able to run bumper to bumper, door to door for some laps over a couple short 20 lap races. On a couple of super speedways (Talladega, Mountain Peak) drafting worked pretty good and able to run in a pack all around the track. I was running the new pickup truck racing series mod. I'll need to run some more but from my small sampling I now seem to have a decent oval sim option (currently don't have any other oval options)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Even I had to dial the Oval AI up on RF2, so yes, it is pretty slow!
    The alternatives that I have tried are iRacing (Expensive, and the "AI" tend to be a bit aggressive/optimistic, and yes, quicker than me!) and a demo of NR2003 (Wow the AI were quick! Not fun (for me) at all!)
    So RF2 for my roundy-round fun, and R3E for when you absolutely, positively, have to turn right.

(Looking forward to May and DX11, because nice graphics are nice.)

12. mmaruda

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    I am not that optimistic for the DX11 patch. So far they have only shown screenshots and May is almost here. Maybe I'm just sceptical, but if they have working build, why not show a video? And then there is the sometimes ugly content that will probably look even more ugly when the rest of the graphics shines.

As far as just racing goes, R3E is probably still my go to sim, although the AI aggressiveness along with the pinball collision physics make for a sometimes frustrating experience.

13. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Feeling a bit the same way. Some ugly mods (and vanilla content) will not look nicer on DX11 I fear...

14. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Putting Directx11 in rFactor 2 =
    Improving reflections on very undetailed textures =
    Polishing a turd.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mihai

Mihai Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    Most of the time I try not to get involved in discussions like these but let's make an exception now :) I don't get this with RF2 looking ugly? I'm running all settings maxed and looks pretty good, ofc not PCars or, to some extent, AC. What RF2 got it wrong is the ambient light and contrast-brightness but these are not game breakers for me. In worst case, with DX11 coming the mods will look the same almost. DX11 is not a revolution but just another iteration.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    I don't really think the graphics are a turd. ;/ I ended up buying it this week after all the advice given me here, and after some tweaking and installing sweetfx to improve contrast and vividness I actually think it's not a bad looking sim.

The basics are all there, the lighting on cars and surfaces is good. BUT the tracks lack details and textures are poor (even the ISI ones) so that's why I feel updating DirectX would be a it like polishing a turd. It will be mostly pointless if other graphic features are not improved.

17. mmaruda

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    I also don't think the graphics are bad, it's just that some of the cars and tracks look poor. They are just ports from rF1 or simply look poor. Same goes for tracks - certain elements just look ugly, then there is the 2d people which remind me of that weird scene from Land of the Living in Grim Fandango and sometimes texturing is bad. But it's not the engine's fault, actually the lighting and colours provide a very natural experience even without SweetFx and such. I hope that with this DX11 upgrade, the content will also get an overhaul or at least we get some new shiny stuff to match the game's potential (big hopes for that 1960s F2 package that's in the works).

Now for the fun stuff! Guess what I finally learned today thanks to rFactor 2? Drifting!

I found this mod over at 397 forum with drift tuned Supra and after like 5 minutes I was sliding around Loch Drummond like a natural. I could never do it properly in Assetto and other games with a wheel, but rFactor 2 has this amazing FFB that really works when you are sliding and the car is perfectly tuned for a noob like me. I can finally start to learn this stuff without the feeling of being completely lost - I can feel when and what I screwed up unlike Assetto.

Here's the mod, if anyone is interested. It's rally a shame the game is not visually up to snuff compared to the competition, since the driving is top of the line. I guess I need stuff like this in the game to remind myself how good the physics are.

18. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Because bullshots always do better to showcase fancy graphics than actual gameplay video.

Just take a look at Pcars promotional pics compared to the actual gameplay footage for proof of this :p

Promo pics for the sole purpose of showcasing how fancy and shiny something is, can be edited to specifically show that stuff off. Actual gameplay is much more difficult and time consuming to manipulate.

Edit: As for the switch to DX11... this isnt going to do a single thing for all the low poly models, the poor texture resolutions, the bad shadows, the bad pop in, the general lack of detail on tracks, etc.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Agree with the post in general, but this ?
    I believe you have chosen a wrong example here, since IMO pCars beats any other sim (at least the ones I use: R3E, RF2, AMS and AC) in regards of looks and graphics. And that is pCars1, as pCars2 is not available yet. And despite manufacturers 'restrictions' the visual damage is far from bad either. But I guess this not the topic to elaborate...:p

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    BTW: great new track on Steam Workshop:
    Val de Vienne (F) :)