Rookie on multiplayer (Yes or No)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rik Fast, Feb 14, 2015.

?

Inexperienced drivers should stay away from Multiplayer?

1. Agree

18.5%
  2. Doesn't Agree

81.5%
  1. Rik Fast

Rik Fast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    What should an inexperienced driver do? Stay off multiplayer until you're familiar with the cars and tracks and can control a lap over and over again, or go online and battle fair but there will be mistakes because of the inexperience .

I'm very hesitant to go multiplayer because of this. I don't want to ruin the others changes to win the race by my stupid n00b mistake.I have seen on youtube very angry drivers like in iRacing who are furious on n00b drivers.

On the other hand the community in Raceroom is better off if there are more drivers to battle with, rookie or not. The void in drivers online is not compelling to participate. My sons went from PC to PS4 in Call of Duty only because the online community is a factor 10 bigger!

I have come to Raceroom to battle online in the future because i can't stand the missile attack in the first corner in many other race games. Respect for breaking is a must to make multiplayer a fun experience, but just that fact makes me reluctant to enter. It's like i'm between two worlds now :)

What is your view on this?

2. Tobias Schröder

Tobias Schröder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +273 / 0 / -0
    Well, it depends on your behaviour. If you stay fair and don't block other drivers which might be lapping you I see no problem. Yesterday there was a guy who was 1 lap behind the leaders and blocked them for a few laps until they crashed... Try to avoid that, then everything should be fine.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Moritz Löhner

Moritz Löhner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +621 / 0 / -0
    I think the best way to get more experience is to drive Multiplayer.
    But you shouldn't drive with "full attack". Stay carefull at the track and learn the Car, Track and particularly the driving line from the other drivers.

Give it a try!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0

All my experience online have been great ( Knock on wood )
    I did witness some crappy stuff, but that is to be expected on public servers.
    We have group on steam for gentleman and non crasher/rammer only. Its currently quiet in February since our all mighty leader is not here to organize but he is coming back soon.
    We have a schedule setup and we jump in a chat together and race a schedule event at a certain given time on a public server. Then the next race is sort of voted in the chat. We do 4 or 5 race in a row and its a lot of fun.

If you are interested send me a private message we will get you an invite.

Oh and i voted that Inexperience driver should be allowed online. Otherwise how are they going to get any good? We were all noobs at some point :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  5. Jo Ré Ta Po

Jo Ré Ta Po Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Totally agree with Tobias here. You seem like a fair driver so I absolutely wouldn't mind having you racing on the same server as me (and I'm veeeeery far from the fastest guys :D), unlike some ramming assholes who can't stand being lapped.

I know I too was hesitant at first, but as long as you do as Moritz says, I can't see anyone getting angry with you. Don't be shy !

• Like Like x 1
  6. nickfox2003

nickfox2003 Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Maybe it would be a good idea to get a race licence system and let people get the hang of racing with real people.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. cjbifidus

cjbifidus Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    It looks that I am the only one who voted "agree" :confused:; for me "experienced" doesnt mean "fastest", i think anyone should drive a decent amount of laps before entering in MP, its not necessary to be the fastest on track (sure I am not), but its imperative to know the turns, braking points and where you can allow the faster drivers overtake you.

As an example, yesterday I had a full grid race MP race at Zandvoort with DTM 92 cars and there were no inccidents on the first corner, you know how hard it is on that circuit, I finished around 10th but it was amazing.

I wish I could explain better in english :(

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    Practising SP is a good training school as long you treat AI with respect and you don't ram them on purpose or do hazardous maneuvers just to gain positions. I'd suggest to get a grip "offline" first, learn some racing etiquette and then, when comfortable, go online. pubs could be dangerous so maybe one should try some dedicated servers hosted by racing communities and jump in racing clubs events as they're not super serious and they are normally used for practising and populated with good drivers, then race as clean as possible. We all have made mistakes and after all is a game and should be fun, not the opposite. Important thing is to have respect and if something happens by mistake, some apologies are always welcomed!

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. Rik Fast

Rik Fast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    What is the "rule" here: Should the slower driver stay on the racing line and let the faster driver overtake on the secondary race line. OR should the slower driver go off the racing line with the hazard of unpredictable behavior?

10. jilt

jilt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    To get online experience you have to be online!

There have to be ground rules though. A drivers briefing should be part of the plan.
    Drive clean and fair, take in account slipstream effects, cold tires and brakes in the first lap, and the first couple of turn that are close. If you make contact and get advantgae, give back that spot.

Actually, this counts for everybody online! I have seen a lot of idiots out there, who just hit you of the road, because your faster. And trust me, I am not that fast....

11. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    I started new a few months ago. I did a lot of single races to practice. That helped.

Luckily I had a group of guys on the Steam -Eat sleep Race group to start off racing with. They were great and very helpful to get me up to speed sort of speak. I made a few mistakes of course, which were stupid when I look back. From watching them and how they did things I learned.

Overall just don't be worried about position. Just take it slow and easy to get up to speed. Let faster people by, don't be aggressive at first.

• Like Like x 4
  12. nickh158

nickh158 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    My opinion, for what it`s worth, is don`t worry about it. I am the world`s worst driver, and I get on OK, despite coming very last in just about every race. I think that as long as you follow the golden rules of never blocking faster drivers, and making sure you apologise and let drivers through who you`ve accidentally run off the track.
    For some reason, the DTM 92 servers seem to be populated by gentlemen drivers who don`t suffer from road rage.

• Like Like x 3
  13. cjbifidus

cjbifidus Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I think the blue flag rule is the best option, the slower one should allow an easy overtaking, but I got your point, most of the times it would be dangerous due to umpredictable movements, an automatic "pass left/right" chat option like iracing has would help a lot.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    Racing is and should remain unpredictable, see what happened when you try to "sanitize" racing just look at how much of a bore fest f1 has been in the past 10 years. I expect a rookie to behave like a rookie and I expect a veteran to act like one.

This is the fun of passing someone if I knew everytime exactly what they are going to do, might as well be robot/ai ... That would be boring.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. CirKan

CirKan Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    As I always say, a system that brings together pilots for its safety rating is essential to ensure a good online experience.

16. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    IMO:

1st learn the basics of the tracks offline, you should know the track before jump in MP, otherwise you will cause trouble even if you trying to be carefull. also you should avare of the critical sections of the track, like typical overtaking points

2nd learn to drive the cars offline. pick a car of every series you want to participate in MP, and do couple of laps to learn how it is behave during breaking, turning, accelerating. Many massive accidents happens because ppl loosing their cars on breaking or accelerating.

3rd learn to use the mirror

4th accept, that other ppl probably faster than you, in some situations there is no meaning to fight, if someone is 2-3 seconds faster than you on a clear lap, better to let them go, instead of forcing them to do a fatal incident wich can ruin the race for both of you (or even more ppl)

5th shit happens sometimes, don't go mad, and i suggest to stay in race, you always can learn something. If you go off track try to join back to the race carefully without crossing the ideal racing line (if you don't have a visual of the track you can check the position bar to see if it is safe to rejoin the race)

6th watch the replays, R3E records each and every race, you can watch them in Media Hub, so you can learn from your and others mistakes

So the wrap it up, i would say spend 1-2 days offline racing to get familiar with the game, and when you learned the basics, you can join MP.

Hope to see you on track soon :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Pr3t3nd3r

Pr3t3nd3r Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Even to experienced players bad things happen :D When you think you have a car in your control better think twice before taking any Rambo Jumbo actions xD

Anyways, all players are welcomed to the MP :) If they are not experienced they will be after some practice and watching others how they play ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. jilt

jilt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    Hahaha, true.
    I just was online in GTR3 class on Red Bull Ring, first corner of the race my computer did a hickcough, and next thing I saw was a car tumbling through the air, going three times over....
    I have at least 6 years of online experience, so yeah, it happens to everybody!
    Sorry for messing up someones race!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  19. Jo Ré Ta Po

Jo Ré Ta Po Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    I've just had an incident with a (new ?) player in the first corner of the Redbull Ring : I rammed him out of the line, making him spin (and triggering a flow of insults :D). But as I suspected, the replay shows he's super slow in that corner, braking early and for too long, so he surprised me. Of course I'm sorry, I ruined his race (and probably his fun :().

So my conclusion is yes, you can still be a rookie and play multiplayer (look at me, I know many people are faster in that same corner) but as some people suggested, try to know your car and the track OR don't get mad if you're getting pushed, obviously people try to avoid contact but there's a reason why brake-testing right in front of someone is dangerous :D

• Like Like x 2
  20. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    I find by reflecting about to participate or not you already have shown that you`re thinking about what you`re doin`in opposite to those (and these are the ones who really get me upset) who are absolutely careless & selfish. So welcome, feel free to check it out. Also as an experienced driver (your opponents) with some healthy instincts one quickly finds out who are the usual suspects, by their driving style , the way they "communicate" (with bad language most they deem as something "cool" a.s.o)
    And even from some actually skilled drivers (mostly young guns/kids it seems) you have to expect some Kindergarten-Actions, like I did just two days ago where two guys start to crash each other during the whole race , because one obviously lost his pole and felt pissed not being "King of the Hill" (Lord!) :rolleyes:
    So don`t worry, watch your mirrors, every more skilled driver will see you trying to keep it fair and sober the best you can....shit happens anyway ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2015