RR makes me racing it less and lesser

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skybird, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Half a year ago, I went VR. For racing, there is no going back to screen for me anymore. Two sims I use, RR, and AC. Both look great in VR. Both sims are fine games to play. But one is falling out of my timetable more and more. Today was the first time since weeks that I played RR again, while I play AC frequently - maybe not daily, but several times per week. And I immediately realised once again today why now that is so.

Lock to horizon. AC has it. RR has not. As I said, VR is a must for me now, once I got it. And thats why RR alienates me more and more.

I am not vulnerable to easily getting nausea in VR. I play Skyrim or AC or Subnautica or a few other games for an hour, or two, and no negative effect, I "travel" a lot in Google Earth VR, I play table tennis and a board game in VR. But RR has me balancing on the sharp edge of a knife, even with dynamic head movement in cockpit reduced to 0%, and it has me there from leaving the box on. The shaking and rattling of the landscape around me when I go over bumps or uneven surface or changing camber, really is affecting me negatively, I always balance close to nausea. Its the only game for VR where this is so. Sometimes I must catch my inner physiology by focussing my view for severla seconds on the non-moving car frame/cockpit. In racing, that is a dangerous thing to do. :) But when I look at the landscape again, its a question of time only until I get into danger again once the track is not smooth as silk anymore. Its not the frame rate, its the shaking. Compared to AC, in this one regard VR in RR is a total loss. I am close to say: unplayable, since I cannot stand it for longer than 10, 15 minutes.

I am no technician and do not know to what degree the current engine may have prevented to implement lock-to-horizion, but for heaven's sake: this feature is a must in VR, so if it can be added, please, add it, and soon. Its a must. I am not the only one suffering from this problem, and it is a shame to be driven away form such a nice sim more and more due to this one technical issue. Reducing head movement in cockpit to zero does nothing to help it. The Earth still shakes around you/me. And the driving experience in VR suffers from it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I vaguely remembered that this ^ workaround was there, but I feel no motivation to edit all cars, and have to do it again after every update. Its easier to pass on RR and launch AC instead and be fine. Cruel, but true.

Its a thing that that must be fundamentally solved by S3.

4. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Hey Skybird, I've made a batch file for this, So it's only one double click.
    And: Not after every update, "only" if there is a new car released.

I know, that this is only a workaround and we have to fiddle many things that are really complicated in Raceroom, but it works.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    https://forum.sector3studios.com/in...movement-for-vr-users.7484/page-2#post-142759

^ That one worked like a charm. Much, much better now, I'm back in business, somehow I overlooked this all the time. S3 should turn this into a single switch in the gfx options, and there you are!

FormelLMS, you complained in that thread at the very end that while the world is stable now the cockpit is dancing around you. But that is normal, its like that in AC as well if you lock to horizon, and the range of movement in RR cockpits now is not different than what it is like in AC. Either the world is stable and the cockpit is loose, of the world is loose and the cockpit is stable. No way to have both, I assume. And why would I want that - the gently swaying cockpit is a dynamic feedback indicator and tells me about the attitud eof the car.

Thanks, Muca. You saved me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I did this my first week using RR and never thought about it again. Spend the literally 10 minutes to do this and your set.

I went a step further and for my open wheel cars I am more locked to car than horizon and other cars more lock to horizon.

Nathan

7. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I think I've had to drive a few laps with it to feel comfortable. Everything is good now, but I've forgotten to update the thread.

8. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    That tip by Macu was worth gold. Playing it much more again, and enjoying it, not risking any nausea. Even online the last couple of days, against my usual habits.

I only wonder what happened that today I had to run the procedure again - it all had resetted itself over night, but there was no Raceroom update or download...?!

Thats why I would still much prefer to have this thing triggered by an officially supported button/option in the menus. Just the thing by Macu, included in the program, triggered by a button. Problem solved.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018