RUF GTR2 setup problems at SPA-FRANCORCHAMPS

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base' started by roller.inside, Apr 30, 2020.

1. roller.inside

roller.inside New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi

I'm using the RUF GTR2 for a race at SPA, but I'm not able to make the car stable at Eau Rouge.

With the wing at 17º (standard setup), I'm able to do it full gas.
    I lowered it to 11º and touched a click here and there, and I was able to do a 2:19.000 in the leaderboard. But coming to "real world", with tyre wear, I'm not able to do it full gas and I loose a lot of time there.

I normally loose the rear after the right turn when I try to turn to the left on Raidillon... (so I do left - right then attack raidillon but the car don't go to the left but spins to the left)

Looked for videos on how to setup the car at SPA but I don't get it to work... any tips on how to improve the RUF at Eau Rouge?

Thanks

2. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    full gas 5th gear ?

Andi

3. roller.inside

roller.inside New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The hotlap was done in 6th. (Attached video)

In race I tried 6th and 5th with both sending me flying to the wall :D I have seen videos of people doing it in 5th reaching rev limit and people doing it in 6th...

Attached also pictures of my current setup.

I don't remember if I used TC3, TC4 or TC5... normally I do the whole lap with TC6 then activate some TC for Eau Rouge. But in race mode, I spin even in TC2... sometimes I survive... but I end up releasing the throttle. I have lost a lot of confidence and I loose almost one second just there...

Attached Files:

4. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    OK, finding a setup is always a compromise between what's fast and what you can still handle. So if you can't handle a car with lowered rearwing you have to add rearwing until it is stable again. Of course you will lose a bit on the straights, but this is the compromise I mentioned.

Eau Rouge/Raidillon is a technically very demanding combination of curves, bumps and elevation changes. If you wanna be 100% safe here you will have to make tradeoffs for the rest of Spa. Additionally if you're driving some kind of Porsche with a rear engine, good setups are for the most part more difficult to find. The weight distribution in these cars leads to an inconsistent behaviour between brake/coast and throttle that is near impossible to completely overcome.

One more thing I saw on your screens is that you lowered the front ARB. This is another setting that shifts grip balance to the front, thus making the rear more unstable.

You also lowered the ride height. And depending on the ranges of the front and rear ride height (would need to look them up) you might also have changed the rake together with this. A lowered ride height is always problematic for Eau Rouge as you will bottom out even harder than you will do anyways. Heavy ground contact also destabalises the car to a very significant amount and even slows the car down a lot due to friction. Since the compression in the low parts of Eau Rouge is really huge, you actually need a good ground clearance to pass this one safely. A bit of scrubbing is not too bad, but make sure it's not too much. I for one would never go to minimum ride height in Eau Rouge.

One thing you might want to try out is the rake. There is a thing to RaceRoom-physics that you should keep in mind here. The bigger the rake, the more the balance of the aerodynamic downforce shifts to the front with speed. So a car with a very high rake can get extremely unstable at high speeds because the aerodynamic balance gets out of proportion. So try increasing the front ride height even more than the rear to reduce rake a bit.

Ultimately setups are always a very personal thing and you might hate my suggestions. But this is what I did in your place. ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  5. roller.inside

roller.inside New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Arthur

On one side, I wonder if the Porsche can handle the chicane with low wing and proper setup. Then, if the car is able, I need to learn how to setup the rest of the car and specially, learn how to drive it. (but, if it's a impossible thing... I might not)
    I have seen a video of a guy doing it full throttle with 3clicks on the rear wing. (old phisics video)

On the other side, many of your tips on the setup sound good to me. I found many contradictory setups which may depend on the car, the driver, the game version... but your arguments sound solid and might work... I'll try and send you the invoice of the garage if I destroy my car again hahahaha (no, seriously, THANK YOU)

6. roller.inside

roller.inside New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I've been playing with setup tweaks following your guidelines Arthur, they were very useful, confidence came back but still spining sometimes.

Then I made a correction in the way I do Eau Rouge, and that gave me the final touch. (blaming the car was the easy excuse hahaha)