Ryzen 1500x or i5 7500?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alesi27, Apr 11, 2017.

1. alesi27

alesi27 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    So, my trusty FX6300 is on its last legs.Who do you think will be better choice for a new CPU out of those two?Has anyone got a Ryzen?How it performs in single thread dependable games, like R3E?Thanks in advance for your feedback.

2. Patrick van der Meulen

Patrick van der Meulen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    My 2 cents about it: buy what you feel good about. And look to price-performance. And for what it's worth... If I would build a system for sim racing/gaming on this moment, I personally would go for AMD for three reasons: TDP, price-performance and expected optimizations in (future) software which will add noticable performance benefits to the Ryzen platform. But yet on the other hand, an i5 is a solid and proven CPU where you can't go wrong with. Choices, choices, choices... ;):p

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. alesi27

Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    Yep. I think the OC potential of the 1500x makes it a better choice than the locked i5.Unfortunately an 7600k and a good Z270mb is out of my bugdet, so AMD it is.

4. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    my old i7 920 is still fast enough for the current version of Raceroom :) as soon as the switch to the Unreal engine I need a new one as well

5. Patrick.B

Patrick.B Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    i7 4790 should handle it easy. but u also need a faster Card i think?

6. William Wester

William Wester Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    I've found that saving a few bucks, more times than not, isn't worth it. I will buy what the masses are purchasing (largest customer group gets attention) and what is known to perform well (not just "on paper" potential).
    I use to be AMD, now Intel and NVidia, it wasn't worth the money I saved. My $.01, not $.02 since I paid more for my Intel and NVidia hardware :D

7. alesi27

Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    Got the R5 1500x today.With the RX480 it was a massive improvement on max fps.Spa with full WTCC 16 grid I saw 180 fps max on High Settings 1080p 4xMSAA.For comparison the FX6300 @4,2 gave me 120 fps max.The medium were about 90 fps with the R5 vs 75 with the FX.Lows 53 fps for the R5 vs 46 with the FX.The R5 is on stock for now with 8gb of DDR4 2400. The old setup had 16 gb DDR3 1600.Just for reference.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Patrick van der Meulen

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    That's depending on everybodies own definition of saving a few bucks. ;)

About 2 years ago I build a new system mainly for Lightroom and Photoshop. The choice was an i5 or i7. The i5-4690 was € 245,00 and the i7-4790 was € 345,00. Main difference is hypertreading and gain in performance is marginal. Price difference however was 40%. 100 euros which I can spend on better things.

While if you are searching for the best ever performance, you will not ever consider saving the 100 euros. So, there you have it again. All depends on your own definition. Which alway is dependable of your budget and your intentions of using your computer for. And for me personally price/performance ratio is always key.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    I've been debating this very question.
    I have an i5-6500 at the moment, initially I was impressed but, I was upgrading from a AMD Phenom II x6 1090T so, most CPUs were going to be an improvement.
    Now, I'm massively disappointed

This is comparable to the performance I'm seeing, the major difference, which leads me to believe the R5 1500X is the better CPU, is I run my i5 with a Palit Gamerock Premium edition GTX 1070 GPU which at the time of purchase, was the fastest air cooled 1070 you could buy, you'd expect more performance compared to an RX480.

I'll be building a new PC in the next year or so, so the missus can have this one, I'll almost certainly be going with a Ryzen CPU.
    According to the media, Ryzen is struggling for gaming performance at the moment, but, it's still early days, on a brand new architecture, as developers get to grips with it, performance will improve and even as it is, gaming performance isn't as bad as most tech media would have you believe.

AdoredTV on Youtube has a pretty good review.

He is a little bias, thorough though.

10. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Got my old 920 running a Server at the moment, now that was a cpu worth it's weight, so of course Intel dropped it under developed. o_O Up until a year ago I was still using the 920 paired with a GTX780, ran RR no problem, runs my dedi server when I can be arsed to run one. Sole reason I stuck with Intel when I upgraded and have to say I have no gripes about the i7 4770k I replaced it with, absolutely no issues, whatever I throw at it.
    All comes down to how adventurous one is, Intel, expensive but reliable or AMD keen pricing but unknown reliability. I'm fortunate that I have several systems to play with but when it comes to my driving rig, reliability wins hands down and with the 1080 I've just thrown in, performance is sweet, bring on the Unreal4 power, I'm ready and waiting!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Patrick van der Meulen

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Reliability is fully based on perception. Both Intel and AMD have their share in bugs, manufacturing faults and failures. And marketingwise they both equally evil. :p

So in the end it's always down to what you would like to have and to which brands you are biased to from your and others experiences and opinions. :)