S3 Devs: Which wheel do you favour and why?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nickh158, Feb 13, 2015.

1. nickh158

nickh158 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    You obviously test using the most common wheels, but which does each dev/tester favour for individual use and why?
    Maybe the high-end super expensive ones that would cost me a year`s wages, or perhaps the more down-to-earth Logitech Driving Force or G27?
    Are you even allowed to answer a question like this?

2. Jay Ekkel

Jay Ekkel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    I have used an enjoyed a G25 and then a G27 for many years, switched over to a Fanatec CSW V1 and absolutely loving that for little less then a 1 year now

3. Karsten Borchers

Karsten Borchers KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    Cant see why not, since that is a private matter and has nothing to do with our profession - and Jay opend, so here goes :).

Have been using steeringwheels on the computer since 1996 (Thrustmaster T2), and have tried many different brands over the years. Went with what was considered high-end around 2003 with the BRD v2 and Speed7 pedals, and was using that until around 2010'ish, where it finally died - something broke inside, and despite BRD sending me a sparepart free of charge, I couldnt fix it. So I went G25 and mounted a Sparco 270SN wheel on there, and have been using it ever since. Few years back I added the Perfect Pedal (hydraulic load cell brake pedal) to it too. On the side I have the Frex HShift and Shift+. Have had both since 2004, and have been using the HShift the most. Still ticking - replaced a spring twice, which can be orderd from Frex.

Now it was time to go a little higher again, and after long considerations, I orderd a CSW v2 a couple of days back. Should arrive some point in May - ouf the wait. Will keep the G25 pedals. Might replace them with the ProtoSimTech PT1 pedals, once they become available.

4. nickh158

nickh158 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your replies.
    Given that you both used Logitech G series wheels for so long, do you feel that switching to a Thrustmaster is worth the cost? The one thing I don`t like about the G27 is that pronounced deadzone, but I`ve become used to it. I also have the CSR Elite pedals, which are great :D
    However, I`m still considering `upgrading` to a T300RS wheel, if it`s significantly better.
    What do you think?
    I couldn`t afford a CSW; the T300 is as much as I could go for.

5. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Not a bad move. :)
    I also started with the Thrustmaster T2, then moved to the red Momo, then G25, then Fanatec GT3RS and now i'm on a CSW v2.
    And i don't regret buying it. Yes, it's not a DirectDrive servo wheel, but referring to G25 or GT3RS, the CSV v2 plays in another league.:cool: