S3E - thanks for last G5 update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sergeich, May 21, 2020.

1. sergeich

sergeich Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Now I feel 900 hp under the ass with Corvette :) And other cars now better.

Awaiting more "getreal" updates :) Thank you!

• Like Like x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    The Greenwood was tractionless before so nothing has changed there, perhaps cornering is more fun now as it can be drifted but I am lucky to even get to a corner as the car has usually spun off under acceleration in a straight line. I feel like one of those people on idiots driving supercars youtube compilations.

The Capri was fairly decent before and manageable but has now all succumbed to the ice racing virus.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0

remember the throttle is a variator not an on /off switch
    complaining becayuse you refuse to adapt your driving style is a tad sad really ;
    im crap in these cars and it takes me at least an hour before i start to get any consistancy because my brain hasnt learnt what and when i can do , after the hour it gets better and better ; and im sure that if i put the time in the reward is there
    but if your looking for instant gratification then this car isnt for you

Andi

• Like Like x 3
  4. Jukka Karppinen

Jukka Karppinen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    Only had time to very short test for now, but what an update! Those barn door-wide tyres offers lots of grip after warm up, but you still had to be very careful with the throttle in corners - even in 4th gear. That feel when old school turbo kicks in! Still, slides are very manageable, pretty much exactly i was expecting. Wonderful beasts to drive. Great job, looking forward to test more!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    I agree with you, but any adaptation I try is limited as I can only input 1s and 0s - blipping the throttle on and off is the only possibility but what use is that when any positive blip causes the car to lose traction and spin out with no way back?
    I also tried reducing the level of sensitivity of the acclerator in game controls menu, but to no avail as it just delays the input rather than modulates it. Steering is not an issue as I can play about with sensitivity and lock settings to get most cars turning how I want. Even braking is fine as it is easy to reduce pressure and cadence brake if the car has no ABS.

PC racing games have been going since the mid 80´s and have been compatible with digital controllers all that time. Most of these cars also were till they got updated, so my conclusion is that the people who are working on them are not taking into account players who choose or have to use these control devices. Maybe we are in the minority, I have no idea, but perhaps something can be done in terms of working on controller setting options to allow us to have some fun too?

6. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    No disrespect @Vale but no amount of Sensitivity Aids or Coding will help the fact that this game (and all other current Sims for that matter) are *designed* to be used with Wheels & Pedals. Some Sims include Gamepad support as their inputs can "mimic" Wheels & Pedals, but generally speaking these are the preferred devices.

The line "PC racing games have been going since the mid 80´s and have been compatible with digital controllers all that time." is largely redundant, in the 1980s & 1990s Wheels & Pedals were not common at all, it wasn't until the mid/late 90s that they started to pop up more and then in the 00s they became much more common.
    Since then Racing Sims/Games have evolved so much and with that so have the devices we use, I would say you're better off getting a cheap non-ffb Wheel or Gamepad/Controller than using a Keyboard and personally I wouldn't want the Devs to waste time on improving Keyboard support as essentially - IMO - it would be a complete waste of time, I'll finish with what I said already - This & Other Sims are designed to be played primarily with Wheels & Pedals, not Keyboards. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 21, 2020
  7. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Forum post incoming soon in the same style of this detailing the Group 5 changes.

I do also work with an xbox one game controller and have a few tweaks I'm working on to the controller profiles.

• Love it! Love it! x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    It really depends who the publishers are targetting as consumer base. Obviously for Zwift cycling you need to have a bike and rollers to even be able to race and pro racing and flight sims used by Airbus and F1 teams are fully bespoke units that not many of us have in our back garden or shed!

My personal case is that I like racing against other humans a few hours at the weekend to disconnect from life, covid and all that and don´t have the desire to set up a whole rig or even put a wheel up on a table. I am happy to put a few hours into car setup, learning tracks and race strategies but it´s not an obsession. I spent about 30 euros on content and am class A get real and on the first page of the ranked server list, so I am not too bad considering these limitations I have.

I have no idea if this profile accounts for 1% or 99% of registered players but what I would say is that there could and should be room for everyone to race in raceroom, as the name suggests. If you have a good device then great, you will enjoy yourself as you probably did before the updates but it was not an entry barrier up until now so why should it be all of a sudden?

9. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I advise you get a controller then, you can get them for less than £20 on Amazon (UK) and I've no doubt that will improve your driving experience, especially vs a Keyboard.

As for the rest I think you need to realise we are already in a niche market with Racing Simulators (there's a clue in that word), the Devs are a small team whose sole focus is to make the best Simulation Experience they can offer us, hence wasting time on Keyboard Inputs should be an extremely low priority. As per the other thread (I've just seen) where you're posting about the same subject(!), I think it's time you swallowed your pride and just accepted that you need a better Input Device to better enjoy any of todays Racing Simulators, have a nice day :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MattYKee

MattYKee Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
  11. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for that link but my issue is only with traction under acceleration, steering is just fine. I see those controllers only work up to W8 so I think my keyboard is still a better bet!

12. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    regular xbone pad works fine on win10 ;)