Telemetry SecondMonitor (Timing & status App)

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by Winzarten, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +376 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone
    This app started as a little home project of mine, but as it is (slowly :D ) growing in functionality, I plan on release it to the community. I call it Second Monitor as the purpose of it was/is to make maximal use of my/yours second monitor :)
    Basically, it's a live timing / car status app
    [​IMG]

Information provided
    • Session Information
    • Live timing, for each driver:
    • Timing Circle (ellipse :D ) / Full Map after one valid lap
    • Wheel status:
    • Water/oil temp
    • Fuel Overview
    • Fuel calculator
    • Pedal position
    - Double click on a driver will open the drivers lap/sector times.
    - The app is able to save xlsx file after each session, containing a brief session summary and a detailed log of each players laps + sectors. Settings are in the options:
    reports.png

The package also includes a
    Telemetry Viewer:
    [​IMG]

Which can be used to analyse the data captured during individual sessions.

See the wiki for more information -
    https://gitlab.com/winzarten/SecondMonitor/wikis/home

Now with the ability to use on remote computer -
    https://gitlab.com/winzarten/SecondMonitor/wikis/Setting-up-Second-Monitor-on-separate-computer

The app is available at -
    https://gitlab.com/winzarten/SecondMonitor/-/releases

Source code available at: https://gitlab.com/winzarten/SecondMonitor

Just download and run the installer exe file. .Net 4.6 required.
    This is still an early version, so it still needs some ironing, bugs to squish, and usability improvement.
    Supported sims:

• R3E - Works out of the box
    • Automobilista - Requires the rFactorSharedMemoryMapPlugin (https://github.com/dallongo/rFactorSharedMemoryMap). Can be autoinstalled by the app. This is the same plugin that is used (and automatically installed) by CrewChief, so if you're using that, you're good to go.
    • RFactor 1 - Same as Automobilista. Wasn't tested, but it is the same engine as AMS, and the same plugin is used for data, so it should work.
    • RFactor 2 - Requires the rF2SharedMemoryMapPlugin (https://github.com/TheIronWolfModding/rF2SharedMemoryMapPlugin). Can be autoinstalled by the app. This is the same plugin that is used (and automatically installed) by CrewChief, so if you're using that, you're good to go.
    • Assetto Corsa - Requires custom plugin, than should be automatically installed when the app detect Assetto Corsa running. The plugin needs to be enabled in the options settings manualy.
    • Assetto Corsa Competizione - Requires that the broadcast server of ACC is enabled. Follow the PRELIMINARY STEPS in the following link https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/accdirector-v1-0-0-broadcast-client.57202/
    • Project Cars 2- Project Cars 2 - Works out of the box. Just be sure to enable both, the shared memory and UDP packages, inside Project Cars 2 options - (http://www.eksimracing.com/f-a-q/configure-project-cars-to-use-shared-memory/)
    • Project Cars - Limited functionality as split times and lap times are not provided by the sim api. Splits don't work at all, and lap timing is done by the app, so the will be slight difference between what is in the app and what is in sim. Big thanks to mr_belowski for allowing me to use his project cars pit coordinates from CrewChief :)
    • F1 2019 - Requires the telemetry UDP output to be enabled in the game (open options menu from the main menu, then enter the settings menu - the UDP option will be at the bottom of the list. ). The application works only on the default port 20777.

Donate
    Supporting this application helps me fund the coffee supply required for continous development :)
    [​IMG]

Know Issues:
    All:

• Final lap completion for AI might not be timed properly. This is a precaution, because some sims (i.e. r3e, report lap completed for AI the moment the player crosses the finish line)
    • Gap: while it is there, the implementation is very simple, just distance / speed, so it deviates a lot at higher distances. Thats why 30s +/- is the maximum it will show.
    Assetto Corsa
    • AC doesn't provide temperature information for water and oil temps, so these will be frozen.
    • Not all cars in AC have brake temp simulated
    • Because AC splits are little bit weird (i.e. track have 15 splits), the app is using custom splits. Each split is 1/3 of track distance.
    • If you restart session soon after start, then the app might not re-initialize property and reset the timing after the first lap is completed.
    • Tyre wear might not work correctly.
    Project Cars 1
    • Timing is done by app, so there might be slight differences between in-sim and in-app times
    • Pit Detection - pit detection works on comparing driver position with the entry/exit points, so if you teleport back to pits it will not detect you as in pits. There is no easy way to fix this, as the sim doesn't provide any clear indication if a driver is in pits
    • Timing will sometime reset when editing pit presets during race (will be fixed)
    • Top speed is wonky :), that's because speed isn't provided by sim and has to be computed, which is prone to some error. I will try to make it less wonky ;)
    • Car Class instead of Car Model - Pcars doesn't provide car names for other than the player driver, so I used the class for all drivers.
    Planned Feature:
    • Rework of the timing circle, so the app can learn track layout so proper map can be displayed.
    • Increase amount of information for tyres (indicate bottoming up, dirt, slip)
    Any questions, comments, feedback is welcomed ;)
    When reporting bugs please attach the latest log which can be found in \%appdata%\SecondMonitor

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 21
    • Love it! Love it! x 7
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  2. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +376 / 0 / -0
    First version of application made public. :)
    I change the color scheme a little, but, sadly, I'm your typical developer lacking aesthetic feel, so it clearly can be improved. :D
    In future all colors will be a setting option. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  3. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]
    Hopefully you can read that; I tried to download the program and this is the error that I get. I've got net 4.6 or greater installed.
    Thanks

4. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +376 / 0 / -0
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  5. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    OS is win 8.1...ok ill try the workaround later today .

6. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +376 / 0 / -0
    I've uploaded v0.0.2, please, try it out if it fixes the problem.

7. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Awesome , I downloaded it and it fixed the problem, I didn't run it in a race but all looks good.:D

8. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +376 / 0 / -0
    Glad that fixed it :)

9. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Hi I really find this app useful , though one issue I have is that it works fine in single player but when using in multi it works in practice and qual (although it resets laptimes alot)but when a race starts the app closes.

Is there anything in settings to allow for sector times ?
    Hope this helps. Cheers

10. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +376 / 0 / -0
    Sadly, I haven't had time to test the app in MP (as I'm a SP player), but I will look at those issues and will try to solve them, hopefully soon.
    Sector times are planned ,as are many other things, but development is kinda slow right now, as I'm settling in a new job. So not much time left for personal projects :-/

• Like Like x 1
  11. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +376 / 0 / -0
    Added v 0.1.0
    Added initial project cars support - big thanks mr_belowski for allowing me to use his pit coordinates for pit entry/exit detection. Project cars 2 should work with Pcars1 shared data model, but as Pcars 2 doesn't work on my pc (I'm affected by this bug - http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...e-GTX770-Crashes-every-time-amp-or-reboots-pc) I won't be able to support pcars 2 atm.

Fixed lots of issues in MP (timing resseting, no driver list, no player detection...). I completed several races in MP without any issues, so I hope all those major MP gremlins are fixed.

• Like Like x 1
  12. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Ok.. thanks for the update. I'll give her a go..just a side note. I did a short race at Macau last night and the app closes during a single player race.. hopefully the gremlins are gone. Lol

13. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Hi. I had the app crash again after a multi race at birds. I downloaded the update however I'm not sure if it's the correct version installed.. I didn't delete/uninstall original (didn't find it under the list of programs in control panel) ..will the new version overwrite ?

Just a suggestion to add the program version number to the panel...thanks

14. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +376 / 0 / -0
    Damn...
    Thant's a good suggestion, it will be in next version. I'm also working on logging and a normal installer, which should also be in the next version.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  15. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +376 / 0 / -0
    Addev v0.2
    -R3E 64 bit support
    -Added login in case of errors (log can be found in \%appdata%\SecondMonitor )
    -App now uses a normal installer

• Like Like x 1
  16. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Hi. Great news. Not knowing much about these apps but is it possible to have the app run by the cpu rather than the gpu. I suspect when I have alot of apps running for the game I lose framerates.
    Thanks

17. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +376 / 0 / -0
    I cannot affect where the app is rendered, but I'm working on making it a little more optimized (well, I hope it will be a little bit more optimized :D), as some of the things right now as not done in the nicest way.

Generaly, the fps hit can be somewhat lessened by increasing the refresh rate. This will change how often the main grid is refreshed (this one thing I want to improve) and doesn't affect the quality of data. Which is sadly another thing that is hard to optimize - if the timing is to be atleast somewhat correct, then it must pool the sims data quite often (right now its every 10ms)

18. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Hi . I can't get this to download. I get an error message saying it can't load and to try signing on as administrator... I'm already the admin. Lol.
    Hope ya have time to look at.

19. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +376 / 0 / -0
    Damn, that's an oversight on side, sadly the installer is currently not smart enough to actualy ask for the elevated privileges to access the program files folder. So the easiest workaround is just to install to another folder outside program files. Or to run it with admin privileges.
    Sorry for the inconvenience I will try to fix it tomorrow.

Edit: Ok, I lied, it should be fixed now :D

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  20. Winzarten

Ratings:
    +376 / 0 / -0
    I've uploaded v0.5.
    The biggest change is total rework of user settings, which got their dedicated settings windows. Settings are now also stored between sessions.
    timingappsettings.png
    In addition to selecting the drivers order / times mode for each session, it is now also possible to enable/disable individual rows in the datagrid for each session type + size changes to these rows are now also stored.

So, with the ability to hide/show individual row I can now add more information (i.e. split times) withour overcluttering the grid. :)