Sector3! Make a normal AI!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTDnipro, Mar 10, 2017.

1. GTDnipro

GTDnipro New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    AI - blind blockheads who ride on railway! This game is a simulator? Why does AI do not see me and hit from behind and to the side when I find myself on their way? It is like you're not there. It is really unplayable! Why in rFactor 2 and Project CARS there is no this problem and you still can not fix it? Why offer real racing series if you can not play in them because you will be pushed out of the track?!

• Disagree Disagree x 26
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    The AI is not completely fine, but its fine, for me one of the best AI's I saw in a Racesimulator.
    Two possibilities:
    1. find the strength of the AI that fits to your personal driving skill
    2. set the AI to adaptive and "train" them, through offline races

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  3. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0

And that's after 5 minutes of searching on YT.......

But I do want to thank you for this line:
    That one had me laughing for a good five minutes. :D

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    At least you had a laugh during your Youtube searches @CheerfullyInsane ;).

Now as for the OP, @keanos advice is the correct one, it all comes down to where you've set your AI. If you're getting shunted off track you're probably braking way to early for that track/car combination. As an anecdote I've both shunted and been shunted when racing real people as well for the same reason. Now I prefer a set AI value using trial and error to find what works best for me with the car/track setup, arguably the adaptive is better because it can take into account different strengths for different tracks, so if you're racing an offline championship it might be an idea to train the AI at those before you go.

My advice is to play around with the AI strength in +5 -5 brackets until you find them raceable and then really finetune it if you want to get the absolute most out it. It'll take a few tries, but it's good practice to survive turn 1 lap 1, a skill that can make or break an online career. :)

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    I'm relatively new to R3E and i did only a couple of races so far, but i must admit R3E has one of the best ai i've ever seen.
    Yesterday i did a 10 lap race with the NSU @ Karlskoga and i had a pretty decent and fair fight with the ai.
    [​IMG]

And i will give you this advice : use the Crew chief app.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 5
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  6. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Btw, starting on a forum with a thread like this might not be the best way to introduce yourself to a community.;)
    Here are a lot of experienced members, willingly helping everyone facing problems with RaceRoom. Also devs have an eye on the forum and support, where necessary.
    So asking for assistance normally should be more expedient to enjoy the race.

Maybe I'm just getting old.:oops:

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    AI is kinda inconsistent. Sometimes you can have great, fair battles with them and sometimes they will constantly push you out of track or hit from behind

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. Der Kiebitz

Der Kiebitz Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    OK, this guy is new here and perhaps in raceroom.
    But the things he wrote are not completely wrong imo.

In comparison with rF2, AMS, AC and yes, also with PCars (I have them all) the AI is a little bit "blind" when coming closer.
    Maybe a part of the reason is, that you were a little bit to slow in that moment on yourself.
    But the AI just does not try as much as it does in the other games to find its a way "around" you.
    For me, it seems that the AI has this problem after we got the possibility for the bigger grids.
    Since then the AI seems to have only a very narrow field of view, maybe 10 or 20 meters.
    And so, if there is someone slower than the AI on track, the AI has just not enough time to react.
    So the AI is not aware of problems more than 10m in front of it.
    That's why so many people find them to be a kind of "blind" or wish a possibility to low the aggressivity of the AI.
    Not a big problem for the slower or FWD-series like WTTC2013 or NSU.
    But it is unbelievable, how often I have to restart a SP-race because the AI try to push me out of the race right in the first corner.
    For example: Try the first corner in Spa with the DTM2016.
    Part of the problem could also be, that crashphysics for little hits from the AI often results in 180° turn arounds and not just a little "FFB-effect" in my steering wheel.
    The good thing is, that the AI tries to use the track for overtaking in Raceroom.
    And of course the simple fact that the AI really tries to overtake you is good as well.
    In "sims" like PCars the AI just take every area besides the track to overtake you, but applause, without any big contact.
    --> But that is not sim-like! ;):p

Nevertheless I like Raceroom very much. :)
    As long as you drive CONSTANT lap times on "your" AI-Level, you can avoid contacts and have still have much fun with it.
    So I played this game already over 525 hours.
    But because of this problems more and more only the MP of Raceroom.
    But still hoping for a "good LOOKING" AI (and triple screen support!) ;)

So, now gentlemen: hate me too, if you want. :(

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  9. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Setting the tone may be the keyword.
    I've got no problem with critics the way you make. This will leed to something better.
    But coming here, everything is messed up, make better!
    Nah!

10. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    +1
    I have no problem with people giving constructive criticism, or throwing out ideas.
    But if you choose to stamp your feet and throw a tantrum.......
    I can't speak for anyone else, but in my world; If you act like a git, there's a pretty good chance you'll get treated as one too.

• Agree Agree x 11
  11. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    @Der Kiebitz and @GTDnipro as well I guess I do want to stress that a disagree rating is not a karma downvote or the alike, at least not to most. :)

Good AI can be quite subjective so by all means critique it but not all of us will agree. But we won't hate ya for it either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Der Kiebitz

Der Kiebitz Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    That's for sure.
    And just his Headline of this topic here is NOT ok also.
    I just wanted to say that there is a problem imo with the AI.
    Because I was just frustrated a little bit this morning too, trying several SP-Races.

It was just a try to discuss this topic with more arguments.
    Not just bad AI on the one hand and perfect AI because of these yt-videos on the other hand.
    Sorry for that try (in my bad English)!:(

Have a nice day all!

13. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Just a reminder that the AI delivers different performances with different car classes on different tracks. I forgot that myself sometimes in the past, and have to call myself to order occasionally. :) With some cars the AI does better, with others a bit worse. But generally, calcualting all pros and cons, it is of the best standard out there on the market.

And another reminder: own driving has much to do with how the AI bangs into you or not, too. ;) Many players drive super-aggressively like no sane man woudl ever dare in real ife, and they do so since it is just a simulator. I learned a simple truth about simulators on the past 25 years, may they be flight sims or driving sims: you get out of them what you put into them. Treat them like aracde games, and you get an arcade experience. Treat them as a realistic scenario, and you get a more realistic experience.

• Agree Agree x 6
  14. GTDnipro

GTDnipro New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you all for your advice. For a few years I tried all car computer simulators. R3E is the most interesting simulator for today for me. In R3E I have now laps completed - 2246, distance - 12175 km.

I know how to change the strength of AI and I know what is adaptive AI. The problem is not how to choose the strength of AI. The problem is that AI does not "have eyes". They are going only on rails like a locomotive without driver. If I drop the speed a little (just a little!!!), the AI will hit me from behind and throw me off the track. If I overtake the AI at the corner, the AI will hit me in the side and throw me off the track.

It is a pity when I go to the first position and decide not to risk it and drop the speed a little before the corner at the end of the race, but I'm immediately thrown out of the track at 10 - 12 position. :mad:

For example, in the rFactor 2, the AI behind me will also lose speed or drive around me and avoid a collision. And at the corners I do not get hit by a locomotive without a driver if I rode on its rails.

Sorry for my english. Translated Google. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. juan Fafian

juan Fafian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Troll detected

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  16. GTDnipro

GTDnipro New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    More thoughts in your head no?

17. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    how many AI what level/car and track please

Andi

18. Henri Puustinen

Henri Puustinen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    @GTDnipro:
    What classes have you tried the AI with?
    What tracks?
    What AI difficulty level?
    How many AI?

I can say that there's constant hard work going on in both finding faulty/broken/bad AI and making them better so if you can supply some more info I will be happy to test the same settings you've used and I can maybe help you to understand what is happening more clearly or if I see that the combos you use with your settings is creating genuine problems then I will report these in the bugtracker.

You can PM me if you don't want to write in this thread.

Personally I think that some classes have very good AI and some others have way too aggressive AI which is due to a number of reasons and need to be used with a lower AI setting. This can also vary a bit from track to track.

19. Pekro

Pekro Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    I also have noticed bad ai behavior after the patch, wich added "stress factor" to it. That doesen't bother me too much, because i do most of my racing online in multiplayer or in time attack.

Before that patch it was much better imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. simrace2

simrace2 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The AI with the IMSA GTO cars is terrible. I've tried running races with adaptive AI as well as the numerically set AI and the results were awful racing with both. As the OP stated, the AI run through you like you're not even there. What makes it even worse is that the ai cars always come out the winner when it comes to contact. If they hit me I spin and they go on their way, if I hit them, I spin and they go on their way. I've tried races at Oschersleben and Red Bull Ring and have given up after numerous tried because the ai are frustrating, not fun. Prior to the update a few weeks ago the ai were fun to race with, but something has changed.

I own quite a bit of raceroom content and I want to buy more, but I'm primarily an offline racer and this ai problem is off putting to say the least.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1