Sector3! Make a normal AI!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTDnipro, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Dan84

Dan84 Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    I admit the AI isnt perfect. But it's by far the best AI out there.

In my opinion nothing comes close. The AI in AC and Gran Turismo games are atrocious. And off no challenge. Whereas the AI in raceroom really does push you hard. Yes it can be a little too aggressive at times. I prefer it this way.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Yatzeck

Yatzeck Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Aggressiveness and copetitiveness there are different terms. AI in R3E have great and well tuned competitiveness but aggressiveness here are to destructive. And it is nonadjustable. It ruins fun and pleasure of driving of many offline e-racing fans. If I want to feel the thrill of survival roulette I'm goin' online, otherwise I want to mental balanced, and non extraterrestial artificial copetitors in offline modes.

3. Yatzeck

Yatzeck Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    The conlusion is... IMHO... step back to the IA state before last major update. Old people says: sometimes the better is the enemy of the good... Maybe the ability to tune the aggressivenes of the AI will be a step forward?

4. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Can't say I've experienced this. Or at least it hasn't been blatant enough to notice it.
    Usually when I find my place in the grid, I have to worry just as much about who's behind me as who's in front of me.
    But granted, it may vary from class to class. Like most others I tend to stick with a handful of classes that suits me.

Fair point, but you're assuming that the aggressiveness is a separate factor from the AI itself.
    I'll be the first to admit that I know sod-all about programming an AI, but I doubt it's as simple as tuning one variable.
    My fear is that having a slider that adjusts one thing could seriously un-balance three or four other things in the AI, thus making the experience worse.
    As a comparison, running high aggressiveness in AMS is fine, as long as the track has enough AIW lines to deal with it.
    If those aren't present (usually in modded tracks) you'll simply get run over.

5. jimortality

jimortality Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    It's fine thank you

6. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    I've been racing with the Touring Classics series and I have to say the AI has been fantastic for the most part. Lots of butt puckering moments where I'd shoot up the inside only for the AI to pass me on the cross over because I went a little too deep, moments where they have out braked me or blocked the inside line and lots of door to door rubbing around corners, they just don't give up LOL but they still respect my space on the tack.

There are a few tracks where the AI are probably too slow in 1st or 2nd gear corners and there are some tracks where the AI seem to have this extra level of grip coming out of a sweeping corner onto the straight and they just leave me for dead (like the last corner of Zandvoort), I'm not sure if it's my approach or my set up or just the AI.

But in the end the AI in this sim is the best that I've driven against which is why R3E gets most of my racing sim driving time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    I agree with Marc - but it seems very reliant on car/track/my skill. (Or possibly the AI level I have chosen/trained with AAI)

Spielberg and Salzburgring are the tracks I notice it at the most. Perhaps not coincidentally, two of my favourites.
    But there are normally still cars in front of me, so as Crew Chief advises, "Eyes forward."

Sometimes the AI are great, sometimes they are knuckleheads - pretty much like online racing, but without the swearing, crying, and rash, jump-to-conclusion accusations.

I think CheerfullyInsane nails it when he says he mostly sticks to a small selection of cars.
    Perhaps we should all drive a mile or 500 in somebody else's car before entrenching ourselves too firmly on one side of the discussion or the other. Fast, open-wheelers, here I come. Get ready to repair the Armco.
    Then race silhouettes online at the RaceRoom circuit.

8. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    I tried that.
    They didn't take kindly to it....... :oops:

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    I think rf2 ai would give this a run for its money, plus you can adjust ai aggressiveness

10. Timmy L

Timmy L Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Define, 'normal'...

11. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    i wish that end users started adapting to the Ai , as you would in real life ; you adapt to the people you are racing ... you learn to give room/respect ; not cut of the nose , look in your mirrors when you stamp on the stop pedal , dont take a stupid line etc
    start at the back of the grid , work your way through the field , learn there nuances ...
    but then again its easier to see someone elses ; something elses issues than our own

the Ai is brilliant , if you treat them as a real competition and give room , lift when youve lost the corner , dont drift out wide when your trying to sneak down the inside , if you jump in the mosh pit of turn one then realise its that; a mosh pit

anyway last post in this section of the forum as it makes me more grumpy than my chocolate starfish snapping shut can handle ....

race them like you were having to pay for the repairs and all is good

fluff and stuff

Andi

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Pekro

Pekro Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Did you try the "brilliant" AI with DTM 2016?
    I did, and i have to say it's far away from "brilliant"... I know i will be hated for saying this but it's the truth.

Nonetheless i enjoy Raceroom very much in multiplayer mode.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. maxx2504

maxx2504 Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Hi !

I would do it this way:

- If its possible for Sector 3 to make sliders for aggressivnes, speed etc. whatever, make it
    - If its not possible just leave like it it but turn off that damn slow when pushed plz..

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Firstly, I've seen this a lot in the GT and Audi TT class, just last night I was taking 0.2secs off an Audi at Brands Indy and eventually passed him after a few laps then he dropped away 1sec per lap thereafter, which is too much considering there was no tire wear (short race) to worry him. That's just an example for the many times I've seen them drop away too quickly.

Secondly yes there could be issues by introducing more variables (there always are!) but it's the restrictiveness of the current system that is a flaw, the AI become "stale" to a degree as you can't adjust them to suit. Even by adding a couple more options it will open up the AI to the user to fine tune and tweak them some more to their individual liking, but I'm sounding like a broken record on this so I'll stop now :p

Edit: also on the "AI on rails" comment I made you can see this at Druids with the Audi, they get insane grip when going around the outside of my car to the point they're passing me on corner exit! (105 Strength)

15. jimortality

jimortality Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    There are a few of us that understand and agree with you but unfortunately there are people that won't listen. They won't adapt because it's their track and they will drive their lines the way they always have done. I race the ai like I do against humans and it's great, mix In the adaptive and it's all good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. William Wester

William Wester Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    I can't agree, to me rF2 has the AI to beat. But, that doesn't mean I think R3E is bad, R3E is my favorite racer as a whole and that includes racing the AI.
    If you are only comparing to Gran Turismo and AC then of course I agree!

17. Yatzeck

Yatzeck Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    That's right! Everybody have the right for its own opinion. And everybody have the right to disagree with that opinion. But is very interesting so AI behaviour rises so many emotions and so deeply divides people. There is no similar situation in other sims. So is it not puzzling? And I'm out of that kind of discussion. AI? This is not my bussines. Owners of R3E well know what they want. If by them it is allright so be it.
    At the end, please don't missunderstand the meaning of adaptation. Don't mix it with the submissiveness.

18. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    :):):) You don't stalk many other racing forums do you?

The iRacing Forum this past fortnight has exploded with the VERY heated argument (NOT discussion) over whether the Advanced Mazdas should go back to a 24 car split after it was changed to 32 for this season! We are talking 30+pages spread across three or four threads, 2 polls, and more name calling than a pre-fight press conference between Heavy-weight Boxers. It is really nasty stuff.

Fortunately we are more civilised over here.

For the most part, I think we respect others viewpoints, even when they are so deluded;).

The one thing I know without a doubt - playing R3E makes me happy.
    Every thing else is secondary.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. TheFlash

TheFlash Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Some background info's about me to better classify my feedback:
    • playtime more than 160 hours, around 11000 km in-game, all in singleplayer
    • PS4 Controller (emulated as a 360 pad, which btw works absolutely perfect with top notch rumble feedback)
    • GTR 3 class only
    • adaptive AI in custom championships, set AI in single races (AI strength on most tracks 110, on a few tracks up to +/- 4)
    • I'm always trying to race as realistic as possible (-> gamepad limitations)
    What's good:
    + overall the AI is more realistic than in any other sim that I know
    + side-by-side-behavior works really good and feels authentic (depending on their position and the players position they stick to their line or give you a little bit space - to me, the balance looks like in real races)
    What's bad:
    - the AI is constantly hitting me in the back, causing me to spin (almost every race) [Side note: This is my biggest complain about R3E altogether]
    - the AI is far too rarely overtaking/trying to overtake (e.g. if I have some bad laps, forming a queue of multiple cars behind me which persists till the end of the race)

Additionally aspects that many people in this thread forget to consider in this discussion (and when they criticize someone else's opinion):
    1. everybody has different skills (-> different speed, racing line, turn-in points, break points) = personal aspect
    2. everybody uses different input devices, different wheels/different gamepads ( -> different possible precision and different smoothness of steering, braking and accelerating) = technical aspect
    3. this is a sim but it is also a game
    => the different personal and technical conditions combined result in very different racing behavior, depending on how good it suits to the AI you have more or less problems and accidents with it - and as a game R3E should provide an enjoyable AI for as many people as possible, pro players with a precise high class wheel as well as average players with a gamepad.

Thanks for reading and have a nive day! :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  20. neil

neil Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I was still struggle with the ai & put it away as was sick of being shunted in every race. I've started to play it a bit more now & managed to get a good race, problem is i was much quicker than them. I don't think the ai is well suited if you are a bit slower & want to challenge your self by pushing difficulty up maybe 1 or 2 percent. So imo i think that's a huge flaw in the ai as although you can get good races it is restricted.