Sector3! Make a normal AI!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTDnipro, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Luc Ant

Luc Ant New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I would like to take part at the discussion, with my experience in particular loading a short clip which present a recurring issue with AI. I own every single track and all cars except the one of the Audi TT so I am a fan of R3E.

Suggestions and tips are welcome ;)

Tatuus F4 @ Karlskoga level 105
    i5-6600k - GTX 1070 - RAM 8 GB - Fanatec CSW - HTC VIVE

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Did you have a qualifying session?

3. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    @Luc Ant All I see in that video is a Racing Incident, no fault of the AI, again seen this a thousand times in Real Life. The only issue I can see is a bit of unrealistic contact/collision between the 3rd & 4th placed cars.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. STI_FTW

STI_FTW New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

are you a car guy?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  5. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    To me, it looked like the car on pole had no business being there! :)

It would be nice if the AI could be smarter* at the first corner.
    The advantage Luc Ant has, is being an AI race, he can press restart, and no real harm done - except it is very frustrating and takes away from the suspension of disbelief that we are in a real race.

*smarter than knucklehead real life people! They will never learn. First corner with online opponents is always a butt-clencher. Even I, a paragon of racing, have been guilty of first corner red mist from time to time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Luc Ant

Luc Ant New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I did, and I was the yellow car #3 in position 3 on the grid.

7. Luc Ant

Luc Ant New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    To me there are several issues: the car in pole position is out of position and break too hard, however, it doesn't even spin. The car in position #4 on the grid should not turn in to the apex because there is a car there ;) and again AI cars are perfectly controlled, don't spin and keep decent amount of speed.
    If I just could avoid spinning out I would happy, even with the AI not being smart at least I could still keep playing. It is like hitting a wall when hit an AI car :D

8. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Yeah the Pole AI is too slow or conservative but again he does nothing wrong that's an immediate Bug, one of the hardest things about AI Coding is the race start and RF2 suffers from this as well. Simply put all those AI trying to react to the Human player around them can cause them a headache. Once the first corner is out the way then the AI become more "aware" (so to speak) and can race better, it's getting those race starts organised that is a pain and not an easy thing to do.

Sure the #4 car should not turn in, but again that's a racing incident, the whole thing is really. Chalk it off as Race Sarts AI needs Tweaking :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    It was a good video.
    I can tell you where I think the cars placed 1st, 3rd and 4th on the grid went wrong - but I sure as heck wouldn't like to be involved in sorting out the code! (mmmm, well, maybe I would.:))
    If this was a one off incident, then I would say "that's racing" and move on. But I suspect that if it was, you wouldn't have bothered posting the video.

10. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    In this example for instance you were not in the same line as the AI behind you, because you were coming out of the grid. Had you gone from the outside like him you would have blocked him and the situation would had been prevented.

Not that its your "fault" in any way. The AI's side awareness is limited. Its a very complex programming work to do perfect AI, and they constantly try to get the balance between collision avoidance versus aggression and initiative. In the latest AI update it seems to me they increased the AI's tendency to overtake, and that's the price to pay. But I think its worth it.

So maybe try to stay on the same lines as the AI going into corners. In my experience that prevents a lot of problems. That's also why first corners coming out of the grid are especially tricky.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  11. Luc Ant

Luc Ant New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I couln't move on the left because car #2 was there and car #4 was coming fast. I had no much room so I decided to defend the inside line and stay behind #1. I accept it is a difficult task to improve AI.
    I just wish I had more weight then the AI not to be pushed out of track and also to be able to decide how aggressive AI is

12. STI_FTW

STI_FTW New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    @mr tits taboo I see you don't want to answer my question I guess I'll live you to your life then if all you can do is insult and try to shit on people who didn't attack you personally but I guess that's where we are today... enjoy your life please excuse me for having the non sense to try and write on this forum but I guess since you are such a pro at level 90 ai you are entitled to have at least something in your life to cheer you up and if that is your attitude then go be it have a nice evening...

• Dislike Dislike x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. morpwr

morpwr Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Ran some more races last night with different cars and tracks. All the races were very good with the exception of a few starts and a few tight turns. If they could just get the starts to not be a crash fest I and make the ai a touch less aggressive or more aware so they don't take you out on tight slow turns they would be just about perfect.The starts seem to be worse on tracks with tight first turns so maybe that has more to do with it? Once you are through the first lap they will race you hard and clean for the most part. At least as clean as I would expect a human to race you. Actually the last race I had was back and forth for first place for the last two laps. The ai won but he cheats.lol Actaually I blew the 3rd last corner.So at this point I think something just got corrupted with an update. Back to having the best ai in any sim.:):D I'm going to keep playing with the adaptive setting for now because it seems to work pretty well. Thanks again.

14. Luc Ant

Luc Ant New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I tried a new race and staying in the same line with AI going into that corner, and it worked and I had an excellent start... :) Lots of bumping wheels but no spin... Good suggestion.

15. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    LOL.
    I am sorry if I offended you, STI_FTW, that was never my intent.
    In my second response I said of your post :"A rational, educated viewpoint, aimed at giving the reader information on which to evaluate their own position in the debate." I thought that was a compliment. (And an olive branch of peace)

I'll answer your question. No, I am not a 'car guy'. I drive them. I pretend to race them. I even work in a garage (bookkeeper though, no oily hands for moi.) I don't understand all the fuss about the formula US and the BMW GT6. I think the Z4 looks nice!

Have a read through some of my other posts - riddled with light sarcasm and a little self-mockery, but hopefully not pooping on anybody.
    Don't get upset by anything I post; I'm just not worth it.

Yours,
    Mart.

• Like Like x 1
  16. neil

neil Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I'm new to r3e & didn't want to start a new thread but i'm not having a good time with the Ai. I find it often tries to dive into the inside of a corner whether i'm there or not. Its almost like the Ai cars have x2 as much weight in collisions because they stick to the track & knock me flying out of the way. They can't seem to judge when to back off & when they commit to a line to over take they stick to it & are unable to adapt. They will sometimes under-steer in a long corner & if you are in front around the outside they do not ease off to avoid collision like a normal driver would. Even on a straight i've had them muscle me off track. Some cars are worse than others i had a good race in the tt cup wtcc & nsu, but the group 5 with 35 cars was impossible for me, same with lmp. I hope maybe they can add a slider for aggression, at the moment i have ai difficulty at 105. I really like most of the other things in this game & i still rather have this Ai than AC which is boring as hell, but i preferred Ai in project cars for non-open wheel.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I had a bunch of races last night against the AI, the BMW at Bathurst then the FRJ Cup and Tatuus at Brands. Not once did I feel the AI being over aggressive even in the single seaters, first time I've properly driven them too.

I did however see a little "warping pass" going on in the Tatuus and some "on rails" moments where the AI suddenly get an immense amount of grip and go round the outside of a corner just as fast as they would on the racing line.

I ended the days play with a smile on my face, the AI is good but certainly needs improvement.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Yatzeck

Yatzeck Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Take look at this kind of behaviour of the AI. It looks like he overpriced possibility to overtake me. In other track like Paul Ricard clean fight in first four corners is impossible. In eight restarts I can finish one succesful clean firs lap.

19. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Two points:

1 - It's a bit strange the AI came off the gas like that and then sped up, that's a potential issue *unless* he thought you were running wide and took a gamble perhaps.
    2 - I've seen that in Real Life...thousands of times!

I have to ask this here (to everyone not just the quoted guy!) as I've asked before in the past elsewhere - Are people expecting 100% Clean AI? Do people want 100% Clean AI? Or do people want Real Life Like Incidents like the above example?

This is car racing, sure the AI needs a tweak here there and everywhere, but please Sector3 don't bow to the needs of the few and make them perfectly clean as that just simply wouldn't be racing.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    i sometimes wonder if we as sim racers , wear blinkers , never watch real racing , have no concept of an error ... no sense of realism ... its motor racing , i think it reflects real life quite well ,
    accidents happen , racing incidents happen , mistakes happen ... its called life , the human condition ... and if the Ai were real , were human the same shit would happen ,
    nothing is perfect
    but the Ai is good enough
    it races you , yes it makes mistakes , but so do people on MP servers and in real life

Andi

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1