@Sector3: So what is coming next? How's the plan?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ernie, Jun 3, 2016.

1. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    One point I'd like to add is regarding Singleplayer Mode. I indeed would race more singleraces if the AI would behave like skilled drivers do. Gaining a lot of experience through league racing lately with my fav cars I'm already up to 115-120 diff level and yes: The AI is still fast but their driving style often doesn't match my experience (e.g. behaves even strange at times) with other skillfull drivers I encounter - let alone my own driving style which makes it it a bit odd to race against. The more if you want them to use to practise for Online Events. I have no idea how the AI is programmed but wouldn't it the best way to have reference laps and races by skilled drivers (like @Georg Ortner) or even professional drivers ?
    There you would have the correct brakepoints, how to dive into and accelerate out of the apex a.s.o. For beginners or casual drivers it just would been tamed in relation to the difficult level you choose.
    AI was better a while back but I understand that R3E has become more complex which might have had a certain impact on the AI behaviour.
    Another fine addition would be a flag system for sure and also implementing mixed and multiclass racing for SP. All that in regard to keep the sp factions interest up.
    To do the same for MP, beneath all other suggestions made so far a skill ranking system becomes more and more inevitable to me (token from both SP and MP experience) , specially for those who do not have the time /possibillity or even the motivation to run endless laps to refine their skills but also for total sim nerds who do not much else than simracing.
    According to your general time you've spent with R3E (driven kilometers/miles), lap times, your crashrate, clean laps, abillity to endure longer races, general consistency a.s.o. it actually should be possible to create a filter system for servers, so that simply speaking rookies can drive with rookies, intermediates with intermediates, pros with pros, aliens with aliens, and last not least wreckers with wreckers/crashkids :D so that you can't join a Pro race if you don't have the corresponding amount of skillpoints (of course with some "inbetween sections", not talking bout simracing boot camps ;) )- similar to IRacing as far as I heared about. This would create more reliabillity, safety, and would bring much more motivation for all drivers, especially for those who just want to hop in for some easy but nevertheless serious races on the base of the so-called gentleman's agreement , while crashers and racetrolls, well they can fiddle among themselves as long as they like to (but probably lose interest quickly or start to "get real" )
    But as main result we would see much more frequented public servers and you still can chose to drive in a league anyway.
    Best promotion for clean online driving and for R3E (or not :rolleyes: = crashkids) I can imagine....

• Like Like x 5
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  2. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    I fully support your ideas, but in regards of the multiplayer scoring system I see a potential problem.
    New and occasional MP drivers like me would be forced to start in "crash kids" groups, as they don't have the points/score to join a gentlemen race yet. I think that could spoil the online experience and scare people off quickly. That is a something that needs to be solved somehow.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    In this case you still have the option to join a (pw protected) dedicated server (or opening one of your own) and if your Singleplay "Skillpoints" would be taken into account you could quickly climb up the ladder by driving smooth, consistent and careful (It's what I do with new titles - you just have to overcome the compulsion/greed to want it all and at once which btw."seperates the man from the boy" to quote a common advertisement from the 90s :) )

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    We tried the dedicated server thing, but my internet connection is too weak to host the race and have me race on the same machine. After a lap or two it resulted in other people warping around the track or being invisible. Not a pleasant experience *g*

5. Collin0021

Collin0021 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Your'e right :)

6. Thomas Bienert

Thomas Bienert Esports / Events Beta tester

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    @nate had some bussy days so I couldnt answer. I can understand that it is hard to answer all these post and I can see why you saw my post as a threat. The question I asked myself lately is. Is it possible to outsource the chat? So we can just write a 3rd-party-app which brings some kind of own chat-overlay?

And the 2nd thing I thought about is: Is there any chance to combine the information about the username with the steamnick? So we could just use an app to track the people down and then be possible to write them on steam because we do know their nicks?

As I mentioned some post before. It's incredibly hard to grow a bigger community without any chance to get in contact with people. And tbh the single-line-chat is no help at all.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. switchface

switchface Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    To some extent, I feel bad for Sector3. They try to engage and communicate, they try to fix old issues, and bring out more content and all they get are cries for this feature or that add on.

FWIW, I only race off-line and I find the AI to be excellent. My guests race 87-95 range and I race 95-103 range and find it challenging and enjoyable. Just last night I was hounding an AI for 3rd place and I pressured him into making a mistake on the final lap. That felt very real to me.

As suggested above, I do think atmosphere conditions would be neat - a foggy mist on the Nordschleife, or a track like Yas Marina that would only be playable at night. As for full day/night or full rain, would it be a cool feature to have? Sure, but in actuality, how often do you think it would be used if added? My thought is everyone would try it a few times for novelty sake and then go back to ideal conditions. I usually keep time of day on random, but there are some tracks where I have to set the time of day to something specific because its hard to see some corners with the shadows.

I'm enjoying things quite a bit as they are. Proper triple screen support is the top of my list, other than that, I'm quite happy with the release of any new tracks.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    I'm with you on the first two. Physics, I'm in the "don't mess with a good thing" camp. I love the current feel of the cars and don't want to jeopardize that. Additional features in physics perhaps.

But at this point I want features mainly. Anything to add to the realism of a race, I'm all for. Flags, no more ai pits or post race, manual race starts, and better communication with other drivers after and between races. Dynamic effects like dirt on windshield would be nice.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    I'd mostly agree with the above, though think the AI could still do with some improvements - it doesn't always seem as "aware" of you as it should from my (relatively limited) experience. I'm not too bothered by full rain or even night, though a bit more variation of atmospheric effects (e.g. fog, overcast vs clear etc.) would be very welcome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    I noticed poor FFB on GTR2 class compared to DTM/WTCC/GTR3 - was GTR2 class ever updated?

11. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  12. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Yepp - that was an update in physics, but that wasn't the latest Physics-Model. So GTR2 is not on the same level as GTR3 at the moment.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    I think the dynamic weather model, (or even real time weather conditions) in project cars is really nice for instance. If I do free practice or leaderboard challenge I would always choose the perfect weather conditions. But just imagine to do a race and set the weather to random, just real life. In the Eifel the weather can change quite quick. You start a race on Nordschleife in full sunshine and suddenly it starts to rain, normal. I don't understand why this should be a problem, and why this shouldn't be a part of raceroom as well. I probably already paid more for raceroom than for project cars. Even a PS4 can manage this dynamic weather model in pCars. Racing games like raceroom just have to do be developed further. They cannot stop where they are at the moment for the next five or 10 years

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  14. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    Exactly and also R3E gets a new competitor called: Forza Motorsport 6 Apex soon. It’s time for massive feature changes … Otherwise we may be in danger that R3E will run over by other sims … finally! Go for it Sector 3!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  15. DriftMachine

DriftMachine Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    AI:
    I have an idea for AI that might work. We have been collecting lap data through leaderboard challenge. I think it would be wise to make the ai follow those recorded paths. There is gonna be some work done to make it work properly like accident avoidance. If you want human like behavior, then I don't see a better place than to use the data that has already been collected for each track. Most tracks have several thousand entries.

Weather:
    I think most of us can agree we would like to see Rain and fog as well as night added to the game.

Tracks:
    Most will probably disagree here, but I would really like to see more USA tracks. Especially Daytona's RC. Its part of the series already in the game. I am not really a sports fan I just like to drive fast and play games that help me driver faster safer. So I really don't know what's in the series. Only reason I know about Daytona, because I live near it and the events that happen surrounding it. Project cars 2 has Daytona, but My PC can't run that game very well. Also I think no one cares as much about perfection as Sector 3, and that is why I keep pushing this track.

Offline mode:
    Considering how much many of us have invested, I think it's very important to have an offline mode. This game is not as expensive as iRacing, but more expensive than most sims. I am ok with the price of things as I know it promotes continued development. I have had some times i would really like to have played and could not due to servers being offline or my internet was down. Considering play single player mostly I don't see why I have to be online.

I probably should post this in the beta section, but it seems relevant to most of the post here in one way or another.

Multiplayer:
    I have said this many times across the forums here. We need to create a safety system. Every starts with a clean slate. The online servers can chose to enable it or not. I have detailed it where it would not hurt new players like it does in iRacing, but I am not gonna write that here as my post is longer than most will want to read.

16. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 0 / -0
    Well, I don't get it!
    It's been 6 and a half weeks, since the last patch was rolled out. Look at the ratings.
    S3 went to their well earned summerholidays.
    And now everything is outworn and dated? After 50 days?
    What moved at the other sims besides VR (at the moment I don't give a ... on it)?
    RaceRoom has it's strengths and weaknesses.
    Let's wait for the next weeks and see what comes!

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    What goes for the AI, I also wants improvements, mostly on the personality side, but also strongly connected to the damage model and penalties, with AI suffering from mechanical damage, flat tires etc along with that they as well being handed drive throughs.
    All this would improve the diversity and make the races even more exiting! (something that weather also would add a lot to)

But otherwise I think this is much down to a class by class thing, I am in the middle of a Group 5 championship and I think the AI is behaving really well, have had many nice battles with some AI cars back and forth over positions, would have liked them to be a bit more agressive and keen to overtake though. (the implementation of a aggression slider would be even better)

Was racing on Brands Hatch and the AI in first and I was about to lap another car, the AI being lapped clearly knew this and kept wide to the side, which was great, but the leader hesitated a bit long before passing him, so maybe the blue flag needs to be better implemented for the chasing car?.

And the accidents and their avoidance was also working, might need to learn how to steer out of the way sometimes, but they braked and behaved good, was also right behind an AI that spun out on Laguna, right after he stopped he started to reverse of track, both I and other AI's would definitely have crashed into him if he wouldn't have done that.
    :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And we can never have enough tracks, :D would also love more American tracks, but I would be equally glad to get some iconic British ones, along with some nice ones from Sweden as well. ;)

Offline has never bothered me, but can understand that some with bad connection would want this, but also see the problems that it might bring..

The MP races in R3E is the best I've ever experienced.
    Far better, and even more respectful drivers here than in iRacing, despite the lack of a rating system.
    The problem of getting a rating system right and to work well, is that it easily turns into a penalty system, which will hurt the community in the long run..

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. DriftMachine

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    You are correct, it would turn into a penalty system. The presence of such a system seems to do a decent job of preventing crashers from crashing intentionally. I rarely see a clean race. Maybe it's the class I run. I usually go with the slower cars

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. DriftMachine

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    I can't say much but a big patch was dropped on the beta side recently(about a gig) which means more things to come.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Viggdred

Viggdred Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    It would be great to have a WTCC Experience 2016, with 2 races, points for qualifying, inverted grid, the tracks from the season ( Morocco, Portugal, Argentina... )...
    Generaly speaking, pit crew, flags, weather change (climatic condition), would also be great addition...as fingers passing gears on the wheel.
    Watever, keep on the good work...!!!

• Agree Agree x 1