Setup Breakthrough

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SwaggerJacker, Apr 27, 2015.

1. SwaggerJacker

SwaggerJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Finally had a breakthrough with setups. Was at Zolder in a Group 5 Dekon. I was fighting that monster Like Nessie after my Haggis! I took a look at the XSR setup guide for the umteenth time, however, this time I really took my time, and realized why I was fighting the car. I'm stupefied that it took me so long to "get it". I'm still very much a work in progress, but boy does it feel good to finally understand the beast beneath me. Ouch! I sound like Lewis Hamilton now.:eek:

Swagg

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  2. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Nice - one day i'll get there. Seems like just one setup item at a time really clicks with me to where i really understand its use and effect on the car from a practical standpoint (vs just reading about it ). I need to experiment more, been sticking only with what i know (not much) lately.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    Good for you @SwaggerJacker! I consistently find myself blindly clicking buttons when I'm in the garage..

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. GearGrinder

GearGrinder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    I use the spinal tap method. Turn them all up to 11!

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. SwaggerJacker

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Nah, you're insanely skilled. I want to be like you when I grow up. Um, "if" I grow up.

6. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. ::SKRO::

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    Or (most likely) he's just joking!! :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Mally B

Mally B Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    sometimes doing that works for me!

9. Richard Powell

Richard Powell Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    There should be a section of the forum where cars and set ups could be discussed. Ideally each car, grouped by class should have it's own thread, and there all sorts of information could be shared, set up issues, behaviour at certain tracks and generally just people looking for advice could go there to help ease the learning process. Most of the time I try a set up I just make myself slower cause I don't know how to balance the different adjustments. For instance, there are certain parts of certain tracks that really cause me handling problems in some cars, and it would be handy to be able to throw a question into a relevant section and get some feedback without it clogging up the main page. Perhaps a thread per car is over the top, but at least one permanent thread per class.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  10. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    I do that with the rear wing. Keeps me from driving like a jack ass out of control in the corners...need to ween myself off that a bit!

11. GearGrinder

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    I've been trying to beat my fabcar time at Bathurst all day. I got the rear wing on 7 and the differential at 80/20/1. Gearbox: 1-down3, 2-down2, 3-down1, 4-default. Turn3 hates me.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ::SKRO::

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    I love that sudden spinal break as well :eek:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. GearGrinder

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    Yeah but I short shift too much

14. SwaggerJacker

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    That's what she said!:p

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. Bailey Lagstrum

Bailey Lagstrum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    One feature I truly love in RF2 is the fact you can save multiple setups and, even more helpful... you can compare your default with what you have loaded up.
    I admit I have to scribble notes when making changes so I can remember what I changed. After I feel some improvement I take a screenie of the setup and save it as Car- Track-Time.

Some settings are easier for me as I can clearly feel the effects, others are more of a mystery and I will sometimes set them to one extreme to see if I can feel the change.

The leaderboard challenge has been a great help to me as well because when I use a car/track combo for the first time I have no way of knowing if I'm way off pace or getting close to "my typical time zone". I can also use the fast guys ghost to see where I'm loosing the majority of time... not that I can fix it, but at least I gain understanding of my weaknesses. Lol

Everytime I jump in a different class I feel I'm starting the learning process all over. Like the new G5s, I've got to determine whether I just don't have the setup right, need to drive the car differently or am feeling/struggling with the same things all non-aliens do.

Bailey

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. GearGrinder

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    Finally did it yesterday! 2:04:something. (see leaderboard)
    Setup:
    wing 11
    diff 50/50/3
    gearbox 1 down on final drive
    suspension default
    roll bars default
    wheel default
    brakes default

• Like Like x 1
  17. GearGrinder

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    If you're having trouble handling that GTO:mad:, try 30/30/3 on the differential.

18. Öberg

Öberg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    After seeing your post I googled for the XSR setup guide and found this: http://xploresimracing.com/Series/XSR_SetupGuide.pdf
    I assume it is the one you were talking of?
    Anyway I found this setup guide tremendously helpful for getting a better understanding of what and how the changes works.
    Now I just testdrive a car and try to feel what its doing, then go to this guide and look at what my problems with the car is and how to resolve/mitigate them.
    Thought id share this since it helped me alot! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Thomas Cameron

Thomas Cameron Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    I had wondered what the xsr guide was thanks.:)

20. SwaggerJacker

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    That's the one. Helped me tremendously. The more I watch video of sim racing, the more I understand that setup really is key.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1