Setup power and coast settings?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nico Kunze, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0
    Gave the r18 a go again today and started wondering what the "power" and "coast" settings mean and of course especially how a higher or lower value changes the cars behaviour. Any advice? :)

2. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +483 / 0
    Basically power is balance of understeer & propulsion and coast is balance of understeer & stable braking.
    eg lack of propulsion exiting corners, solution, increase power.
    unstable braking/lift-off oversteer, solution, increase coast. etc.

3. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0
    With the GT4's I use less power (set at 3-4) on tracks that have lots of sharper turns
    \

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. tex_548

tex_548 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +91 / 0
  5. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. GooseCreature

Ratings:
    +483 / 0
  7. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +72 / 0
    Thank you all :)
    Then ill start playing around with those settings now :D

8. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +72 / 0
    Hm the r18 remains a weird car to set up and drive for me :D
    Do any of you happen to have a setup or some reference times for the r18 on spa? :D

9. GooseCreature

Ratings:
    +483 / 0
    Take a peek at the Leaderboard! ;)

10. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +72 / 0
    Well the 3 or 4 entries there wont tell me much ;D

11. GooseCreature

Ratings:
    +483 / 0
    Whoops, not been popular then, can't help you then as have not been in any of the prototypes for a while. Always thought it was an unusual beast to tame. Someone on here will be able to shed some light no doubt. Good luck.

12. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +72 / 0
    Hope so and thanks :D

13. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0
    So as much as I agree in real life this is correct - I think Raceroom is literally backwards for preload though.. at least for the GT3 cars

reduce the number and you have LESS stability and MORE wheel spin (added agility)

increase number and MORE stability and LESS wheel spin.

Reducing the preload to 1 and coming out of the corner gives great mid and late turn out but adds a lot of risk of wheel spin and thus over-steer. Now move the pre load to 8 or 10 and try the same turn.. you'll note over-steer does not come nearly as easy and you may find yourself further out of the desired exit point..

The porsche is the one car that might be set the other way (I can't figure it out).

I know there are a lot of quick people here, but with the gt3 vette c7 (which I find to be a good all around car) I can hit 1:56's for nurburgring gran prix, high1:28's for redbull, 1:43's on Imola, Laguna Seca 1:23's on my racing setups. So not blazing fast but reasonably quick and very consistent. Depending on the car I usually find myself in the 3-7 setting for preload.

14. Lucas dos Santos

Lucas dos Santos Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
  15. fufsgfen

fufsgfen Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    It kinda has limits.

You are supposed to set preload to what tires can deliver, so that when you turn tires don't scrub too much, if you set too high, then faster tire will loose grip, slower tires loses partner and finds he alone can't grip either, which leads to instability.

Tighter the turns less preload you can have as you need to allow wheel speed difference to keep both tires at optimal slip.

So for some setups, corners and driving style you have quite small amount that is the limit, keep lowering though and you can't get out of the corners very fast, so there is perfect settings somewhere, which depends from many variables.

I don't like too much of generalizations like more adds stability etc. need to understand what it does to be able to tell what way one needs to adjust.

Softer setup with beefier front ARB allows use of more preload than tight setup with less roll dealt with front arb vs rear arb.

Of course you get then to more understeer with stiffer front arb and more preload, but it is always compromise of multiple settings, one has to deal with whole picture and not just one setting.

I don't really care what number setting has, it can have cows and chickens in UI as long as I know what it really does, then I can adjust it, not huge fan of generalizations, might help beginners, but it is better to learn what thing does as everything works in combination.

For example thinking this way helps to get to root of functionality, ARB lifts opposite side tire off from the ground, higher spring rate limits how much wheels can move up and down, dampers affect how fast wheels can move, yes it is chassis that moves, but it is crucial to understand we play with wheel movement range, because wheel that gets light is wheel that loses grip real fast and you want to maximum grip while having best possible control to go fast.

Usually changing spring stiffness changes ride height, but I'm not sure if in Raceroom ride height setting automatically adjusts ride height despite changing spring stiffness, so there are then things like such that are bit harder to find out. Preload though seems to work just like IRL at least what I have played with GTR3 car setups.

16. XXVI Sol

XXVI Sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0
    I think rre is right,the smaller the preload value(=smaller delay) the faster the transition from power to coast(and vice versa) happens,so lower number of preload means more responsive but also less stable.As for the modern prototypes,I increase the coast to get more stability but that also makes me slower in turn in
    both pics are from Race Department

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  17. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +72 / 0
    Around silverstone i actually find the r18 pretty enjoyable. But not a single r18 on the leaderboard so if anyone happens to have a time id love to hear it :D
    Edit: turns out spa is a lot more fun with my silverstone setup as well :D

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019