Setup steering angle vs. profile steering angle...

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base' started by racinjoe013, Jan 4, 2020.

1. racinjoe013

racinjoe013 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I noticed in the garage setup section that most of the GT3 cars have a steering angle of 540 degrees. My Thrustmaster profile and the in game wheel rotation setting are 900 degrees. So I changed the Thrustmaster and in game wheel rotation to 540 to match the cars steering angle and I picked up a second to a second and a half off my best lap times. Maybe it was a placebo effect, but the car was so much easier to turn.

So I have to ask, should I be matching all three of these numbers all of the time depending on the car's steering angle or was it just easier to turn the car because I changed the profile and in game rotation to 540 which required less turn of the wheel on my part?

• Like Like x 1
  2. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Set to maximum in the TM control panel and tick the box that allows game to change settings. The game will automatically change the rotation based on the per car setting (found in top right of setup menu).

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. William Richardson

William Richardson Active Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    540 degrees for GT3 cars is pretty popular, I set the tm control panel and the game to 540 for every GT3 car. Guys like Jardier use 540 for everything, and he is no slouch behind the wheel of any car.

4. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    You don't need to change both. The game does it for you automatically....

5. William Richardson

William Richardson Active Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    I don't want the game changing anything, and that feature has never worked a 100% as long as I have owned the game.

As an example the new Porsche 911 GT3 R (2019) by default is 486 degrees. But I find it to twitchy so I use 540, and I am noticeably faster doing so. That is what works for me, others should do what ever they like.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. racinjoe013

racinjoe013 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I saw that button in the setup menu, but the wheel angle was already 540 degrees so clicking it didn't change anything. Plus, my TM profile and game options angle are still set to 900 so how does that account for those settings. I would have thought those needed to be changed to match the car setup. I guess I will just stick to changing my TM profile and game option to 540 just to be safe. That way they all match.

7. racinjoe013

racinjoe013 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I watch a lot of his videos on Youtube. There can't be anyone out there that who gets more joy out of sim racing then him. He just seems to be having the time of his life in every video I watch of his.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. SwaggerJacker

SwaggerJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    He's my favorite YouTube Sim personality. Plus he can multitask like a mofo!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    At some point a year or two ago there was a post on this forum from an S3 dev recommending 450! I`ll leave it at that!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jorgen Wahlby

Jorgen Wahlby Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Steering lock/angle and multiplier are 2 things you can use to make the steering more precise or to your liking for a certain track it's like changing the gearing in the rack and pinion... but with the click of a button :D

GT3 cars "in general" have a steering lock of about 600-680° LMP cars about 400-450°.
    Some 12 years ago I spoke to former Simbin CEO and Race driver Henrik Roos and he gave me the max steering input for the car he drove in the FIA GT series his Viper GTS-R and Martin Short from Rollcenter Racing helped me with the steering for the LMP2 they used in the Le mans 2007, the Pescarola Judd LMP2. With this said... NONE had any data on the gearing ratio for the rack & pinion they used.
    (and I guess they used more than one o_O )

Here are some "older" YT clips with max steering lock for the Porsche Carrera Cup, GT3 and LMP2 cars. (Under the videos are the time for max input of the steering)

Gallardo GT3 (2.00 min in the clip)
    Porsche GT3 (2.00 min in the clip)
    Mclaren GT3 (1.45 min in the clip)
    Porsche Cup (2.05 min in the clip)
    LMP (1.50 min in the clip)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  11. RWB 3vil

RWB 3vil Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    It may have been that the game hadn't set to rotation to match your control panel (which happens when you leave the garage) by the time you altered your control panel , maybe you changed it after it had done its syncing by doing it whilst on track/left garage.

Always check the actual rotation by turning the wheel to its lock stop whilst on track. If then the cars 540 and the control panel 540, once synced properly feels cleaner/crisper than 540 car- 900 control panel synced could we assume there is some syncing issues with certain cars, i suppose.

• Agree Agree x 1