Share your Vr settings for best performance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hell-Fiend™, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Hell-Fiend™

Hell-Fiend™ Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys
    Share your VR settings and specs for best performance. Ill start
    It 4670k 4.4
    16 gigs Ram
    980ti
    -VR 2.5
    Everything on medium except textures on high
    It runs ok for the most part few drops here and there

Feel free to share your settings and suggestions

• Like Like x 1
  2. nipzon

nipzon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    6700K 4.6 OC
    16G DDR4 OC
    Hybrd 980Ti OC
    Simcommander 4
    Oculus CV1
    -vr 2.5
    Didn't change anything from before VR so medium to high settings, little laggy when looking around but looking straight ahead and racing all good and nice and clear

• Like Like x 2
  3. Thomaso

Thomaso Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I would just like to stress that the consensus on most VR oversampling results is (from reddit /vive /oculus channels anyway) that anything above 1.5 is likely to cause performance issues even when using a gtx 1080.

So i recommend those with anything less and having performance issues use the -vr command to reduce the default super sampling (which is 1.5 if only using "-vr" command) to -vr 1.4, -vr 1.3, -vr 1.2 and so on.

Super sampling is fantastic for clarity but very heavy performance wise. The render target using -vr 1.0 is already bigger than the resolution of the screens in the vive or the rift.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    -vr 2.0
    Medium on track detail and car textures, everything else is off, low / lowest.
    Car shadows on, shadows at lowest.
    10 visible cars.
    Specs in description.

5. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Lots of testing today and ended up -vr 2.2 8xMSAA fxaa off bloom on, all high except shadows low as they are not so good anyway. Frame rate appears smooth & consistent even on demanding tracks like 24hr Nirds & Macau. 19 AI and tried all Formula cars plus few tintops. Assetto had me hooked especially as it is so good with motion but I'm swayed back to R3E now as the motion & FFB has improved and VR is higher res and cleaner than AC.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Hell-Fiend™

Hell-Fiend™ Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    whats your specs? your settings sound like it needs a beast of a pc ! :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Nothing too special... 6700K@4.5ghz 16gb DDR4 Ram Gigabyte1080 o'clocked. I tried to measure frames with the oculus tool but it doesn't work correctly. I was surprised I could turn everything up high and have looked carefully for signs of ATW/ASW kicking in - I am sure they do at some point but I am not seeing the juddery effects of it like I do in pCars for example. I think the key is limiting ai which I have set at 19. What is the most taxing track/car combo to try ? Also turned of all the irrelevant guff in SteamVR like reprojection etc.

8. Erwan960

Erwan960 Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Asus Rampage V Extreme
    Intel Core I7 5930k @ 4 GHz
    G.Skill DDR4 Ripjaws 16 Go
    GTX 1080 Zotac AMP Edition
    Sim Commander 4
    Oculus CV1
    -vr 3.0
    8xMSAA
    FXAA off

9. Frank25

Frank25 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    After a lot of testing I've found the best graphics settings for my PC with Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4 GHz, Nvidia GTX 1070 and Oculus Rift CV1. With my settings I get constant 45 fps with ASW at all tracks (except Nordschleife) even at race starts.
    There's no need to overclock the graphics card, as the game performance is limited by the CPU load. My maximum GPU load is about 60%.

For the best performance with the Rift you should permanently activate 45 fps with ASW (CTRL+Numpad3)

Options for ASW:
    CTRL+Numpad1: deactivate ASW
    (causes juddering if constant 90 fps is not possiple, not recommended for Raceroom)
    CTRL+Numpad2: 45 fps with ASW deactivated
    (not recommended for Raceroom)
    CTRL+Numpad3: 45 fps with ASW activated
    (constant 45 fps in menus (except race loading screen) and races, recommended for Raceroom)
    CTRL+Numpad4: activate automatic ASW control
    (constant 90 fps in menus (except race loading screen), constant 45 fps in races, not recommended for Raceroom)

To check the framerate ingame, you can use the "OculusDebugTool", that is part of the "Oculus SDK for Windows" you can download at
    https://developer3.oculus.com/downloads/

Steam start option for Raceroom: -vr 2.0
    Steam VR: deactivated "Asynchronous reprojection" as the Rift has it's own ASW option
    Maximum AI opponents: 13 (VERY IMPORTANT!!! as it has a massive effect on the CPU load)
    graphics settings: look at uploaded pictures

RRRE 2017-01-31 23-02-17-45.jpg
    RRRE 2017-01-31 23-02-27-99.jpg
    RRRE 2017-01-31 23-02-33-39.jpg
    R3E_01.JPG
    R3E_02.JPG

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  10. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I don't think the oculus tool indicating 45fps is correct, the fact it reports exactly half of max frames constantly is key sign it is not registering correctly. The blur & judder would be massive and I only see minor amount of that looking to the side on few tracks. Sector3 will optimise for sure over coming months. I am running 18 ai no probs.

11. Frank25

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    The settings are for my CPU (Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4 GHz). I think you've a more powerful CPU and so 18 AI cars may work for you, but not for me. And I still don't think, that you're right with the OculusDebugTool. Raceroom never reaches 90 fps with medium settings, even with your powerful CPU, and so the automatic ASW option of the rift with 45 fps is ALWAYS active. With deactivated ASW and medium settings, the maximum framerate I get is about 60 fps. The ASW option of the Rift works very well and there's absolutely no massive blur and judder with permanent active ASW. That you see a minor amount of blur & judder when looking to the side is a clear sign, that the game is running only with 45 fps with ASW. I've no such effects with other games (e.g. AC), that are running at constant 90 fps. I've such effects only at race starts at AC when the rift jumps to 45 fps with ASW for a while. I can only see significant ghost pictures in Raceroom at active game overlays during a race. There's a need for further optimization by the devs.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    No worries thanks for the info Frank, I did not know that was how ASW worked like that so will have to do some reading ! Is it always automatically on and is there some way to manually turn it totally off so I can check again ? I really don't like the Oculus Tool as a FPS counter due to the way it hogs the screen but have not heard of any other fps app that works in vr yet. cheers :)

oops ! sorry I see you already put the key commands ...
    ...what is the source for that info please ?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Frank25

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
  14. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I had the old Debug Tool so I just downloaded the new one and it seems that ASW has been by default off all the time for me, or at leas that is what the debug tool shows. So should I turn it on for RRRE ?

15. HoiHman

HoiHman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    It's best to enable ASW and disable asynchronous reprojection in steam VR since ASW does a better job. ASW constantly locks the frame rate at 45fps and for me personally it does a really good job.

Here a topic on reddit how to enable / disable ASW. Works great for me
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/56af3t/detailed_stepbystep_guide_to_enabling_asw_through/

If you're keep on focusing on the artifacts created by ASW it will bother you, but the same goes for the low resolution of the current HMDs.

It is what it is..... ;)

I have medium to low settings (tracks and textures high), -vr 2.5 and 4AA.

In general i prefer lowering graphical settings in game and turning oversampling and AA up to achieve maximum image quality.

I'm currently in a 31 track singleplayer championship (DTM 2016) with 23 opponents and i'm really enjoying it.

16. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Hoi but I am bit unsure of how this is working. I read that ASW is supposed to be automatically enabled in current Oculus SDK but when I run the Oculus Debug Tool it always says it is Disabled until I go in there and turn it On, is that normal ? If so is there a way to turn it on and have it remain on without hacking the registry ?

Other thing is in SteamVR if I tick the box under Settings "Allow Asynchronous Reprojection" the tick stays but on the left side it always says Asynchronous Reprojection Off so I do not understand the point of having it either ticked or not ticked. I have been leaving it ticked because for the time I unticked it everything seemed to go blurry and jittery. Any advice appreciated thanks.

17. Terje

Terje New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Frank25:
    How do you know you have putted the right settings ASW? Any confirmation?

Ref:
    Options for ASW:
    CTRL+Numpad1: deactivate ASW
    (causes juddering if constant 90 fps is not possiple, not recommended for Raceroom)
    CTRL+Numpad2: 45 fps with ASW deactivated
    (not recommended for Raceroom)
    CTRL+Numpad3: 45 fps with ASW activated
    (constant 45 fps in menus (except race loading screen) and races, recommended for Raceroom)
    CTRL+Numpad4: activate automatic ASW control
    (constant 90 fps in menus (except race loading screen), constant 45 fps in races, not recommended for Raceroom)

Can you explain the VR settings in steam.? My system lags ALOT with 3.0 settings, but very smooth in 2.0.. hmm

18. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    It's a factor by how much you increase the resolution being rendered.

Effectively you are doing super sampling anti-aliasing this way.

A factor of 3 likely means each eye is rendered at around 3x1080, 3x1200
    Which is a lot of pixels :) more than 4k resolution if you sum both eyes

• Like Like x 1
  19. Terje

Terje New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thank you!

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. Virtual Apex

Virtual Apex Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I run the same 2.2 with an IT 8700k, 16gigs Ram, and a 1080ti.