Share your Vr settings for best performance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hell-Fiend™, Jan 26, 2017.

1. St1tch

St1tch New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    FRANK25 kannst du mir ne Kurze Einleitung geben da ich gefühlt nur die hälfte auf Englisch verstehe. ^^
    Ich hänge bei max. Settings mit 45fps in VR fest (laut MSI Afterburner auf dem Monitor sowie OculusDebugTool).
    (3770k + GTX1080 + 16gb Ram)
    Nur auf niedrigen Settings schaffe ich konstant 90fps.
    ABER bei 45fps liegt die GPU Auslastung jedoch bei nur 30-50%.
    Hast du da einen Rat wie ich konstant 90fps schaffe? Leistung ist ja genug da denke ich. Natürlich nicht wenn die GPU mit nur 30-50% Auslastung läuft. :(
    Bei Assetto Corsa habe ich das gleiche Problem. Jedoch wenn ich HIER auf die außen Perspektive gehe, steige ich sofort auf 90fps. Nur die Innenperspektive ist das Problem. (auch hier Cut auf 45fps)
    Bei R3E wiederum komme ich garnicht über 45fps. (diese jedoch konstant) Gruß.

2. ChristianKA

ChristianKA New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

Try to disable all shadow options and disable afterburner.

Alle Schatteneffekte und den Afterburner abschalten.

3. Chris Sabian

Chris Sabian New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have an i7-2600 with RTX2080. all settings on low except textures on high with ss 170 and msaa x2. Imola >=70 fps but Nordschleife 50fps. at start it's very low anyway. 23 ai's. what cpu do I need to get best performance? is it even possible to run all at high in VR? what fps do you have with an i7-8700k at race-start?

4. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    -vr 1.5
    All options quite high except those that usually get reocmmended to not use in VR (motion Blur and the like)
    Detailed specs in my profile, in principle i7 8700K, 32 GB DDR4, 1080Ti-OC, not the latest driver.
    Smooth frames, ASW to my best awareness off. I thus assume it is 90. If my eyes perceive it as smooth, then that is as good as it gets, and I stop experimenting.

I can run 99 cars at Spa without stutterings of any visible degradation of frame rates. It looks like driving with just three cars.

The AI in pit entry however is something completely different... LOL

MP still has micro stutterings, but that most likely is an online code thing, not VR- and graphics-related.

5. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Why not get the 2600k or 2700k and overclock the shit out of it (motherboard permitting)? Im sure they are easy to oc and will go close to 5ghz, just a thought, if it works its a quick cheap option.
    Mine 8700k 1080ti 16gb Asrock Extreme4 mobo. Samsung Oddysey Vr.
    Same as Skybird can run with virtually everything maxed out, i know i am at a constant 45fps more than usable amount, any number of cars any track with 34 viewable, maybe 24, not sure, but it just works.

6. Chris Sabian

Chris Sabian New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yes thx, that's an option (P67-motherboard). I just doubt a bit if this will be enough. major problem are the fps-drops at some places on the track. average fps is already ok. good to know that your system does what I like to have.

7. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    With the gpu you have i would be looking for the best cpu\mobo\ram combo i could afford, it does seem like a bit of a mismatch. RR is a single core game apparently so your cpu at turbo is 3.8 if you could get a 27k to 4.7\8 then you would be looking at a 25%ish increase in performance, but the older chipset ram and cpu is still probably 20-30% slower even after the oc than a newer cpu (8700k@5-5.2ghz).

8. y2kfred

y2kfred Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Hello,
    i am also locked at 45 FPS and I used the "fpsvr" tool on Steam to find out the main reason.

I maxed out all Settings and used SS 200%.

Nordschleife with 100 Cars vrfps statistic:
    Single Core CPU util: 85%
    All Core CPU util: about 25%
    GPU util: about 50% (Frametime 0,5 - 1ms)
    CPU limits (Frametime about 13ms) 78 FPS frametime
    -> Total 45 FPS

Lowering to 20 cars only reduces the Single Core CPU util to about 70%.

Maybe someone has a good combination of:
    - Nvidia drivers
    - SteamVR version
    - Microsoft Mixed Reality driver
    to get a litte better FPS.

So my conculsion:
    - Limit came from DX9 which is very Single Core CPU demanding
    - I saw the same problem earlier with "DCS World" and "rFactor2", converting to DX11 helped the two sims to balance the performance needs.
    - You can lower some settings to reach 90 FPS, in VR you won't see every detail so this doesn't matter.
    Buy fpsvr to see the effect of a different setting during VR racing.

My Rig:
    9900k @ 5 Ghz all core
    32 GB DDR-4 4000
    RTX 2080 TI
    Samsung Odysse HMD

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  9. Lole

Lole New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello, same problem here, I'm stuck with 45fps and high CPU frametime. RTX 2080, i7 8700k, 16GB of ram. Now I have a Pimax 5K+ but the performance were the same with my Oculus Rift.

10. y2kfred

y2kfred Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Hello,
    I've also received the Pimax 5k+ now. It seems that the performance is a litte bit better than on Microsoft Mixed Reality HMDs.
    Most times I am able to reach the 90 FPS now with the 2080TI.
    (PiTool: Async Replication OFF, FOV: Large, Supersampling: according to fpsVR 100%)

11. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I have to look at my settings. Have found one with 98 Percent 90 FPS in Rift while driving online Racing and 90 Percent 90 FPS in offline Racing.

Please note: I have to update my signature. It's now an I7 9700 with my 1070 (non TI!) I know that I have low reflections and NO Shadows (except under the cars) because it drains power like hell in VR and looks ugly, even in highest settings. So everytime good weather here :)

But hell: 90 FPS are much better to drive than the 45 before with ASW enabled. And flicker free...

12. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Im on an odyssey plus, believe my SS setting is around 1.6, then add some MSAA and mostly run high settings except maybe shadows and such and it looks great. 1080 (non ti), 8700k

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. luca.guatteri

luca.guatteri New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi @FormelLMS! Hi everybody !

I read your post while I'm in a disperate search how to solve very frequent SteamVR crash maybe due to massive frame drop.. Already trashed and re-installed RaceRoom and Steam VR... my rig's configuration is similar to your except i7 8700.. same RAM , same GPU (1070 no Ti)... I read everything i could find about StemVR version without ability to get reprojection off... so.. in OculusDebugTool : ASW enabled and 45fps; in SteamVR lowered SS to 100% (154% was the recommended) and RaceRoom starting option: -vr1.3; ingame option: all shadows off - max 18 cars visible - 2xMSSA - FXAA off.
    Do you think that monitor resolution can be a problem ? somewhere a read about the necessity to get down monitor resolution (so worsening Rift resolution) to improve performance... Do yo think I should consider other parameters to improve performance ? never had motion sickness and when i drive, i don'look to trees or other details...
    Thank you very much in advance !!

Luca

14. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    I use VR 2.0
    Track LoD - medium
    LoD Distance - High
    Particle Detail - Medium
    Tiremarks - On
    Specular - On
    Car Reflection Quality - High
    Track Animations - Off
    Shadows - Medium
    Car Shadows - On, 10x contact shadows
    8x AA
    FXAA - On
    Track Texture - Medium
    Car Texture - Medium
    Rear view Mirror - High
    Shader - Medium
    Visible Cars - 24
    Opponent Cockpits - Off

Specs of PC are in my bio under the post.

15. luca.guatteri

luca.guatteri New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks @.OG Isaac,

and what about fps control...? 45 ASW, 45 No ASW, Automatic ?

16. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hello dear community,
    I am tempted to embark on upgrading my CPU and I want to understand if it is worth doing this.
    I play Raceroom in VR and I own a gtx1070 , CPU i7 8700 plus Oculus Rift S.

The game runs fine, I have to say ( except some FPS drops occasionally).

If I upgrade to RTX 2070 S or RTX 2080 S , am I going to see a big difference in VR?

My worry is spending time and money and getting a result which improves slighly my VR experience.

17. y2kfred

y2kfred Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Hello,
    in my experience you wouldn't see so much difference with better GPU in RR3E.
    In other sims like ACC a better GPU is really a key point.
    I have owned GTX1070 with HTC VIVE / Samsung Odyssey (V1) and now I am using a PIMAX 5k+ and an RTX2080TI.
    For sure I can use 90Hz nearly anytime, but 45Hz are also ok for most of the racing situations.
    End of last year my RTX was on RMA for a long time and I used a RX580 with the 5k - this was really the low limit/workaround.

In your situation I would wait for the next Gen GPUs (RTX 3000 or Big NAVI - available in mid/late 2020) they should really be able to handle true 4k displays@90Hz with the high end models (PIMAX 8kx / other future HMDs) or const. 90Hz with mid models at a moderate price point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

I don't really want to upgrade my oculus rift s , is there anypoint upgrading to a more powerful GPU then?

I actually see your point. It is a combination of software and hardware.
    Maybe a goos strategy is to wait RTX 30XX and we will see prices dropping for 20XX

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  19. y2kfred

y2kfred Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Ok,
    I would wait for dropping 2070/2080 prices (or AMD for sure) or a used one - just for Raceroom.
    It's DX9 so more CPU affected than other sims with DX11.

• Like Like x 1