Problem Short Burst (10-20 seconds) of Stuttering During Race.

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Mr_Yogi, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Mr_Yogi

Mr_Yogi New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello there, hope someone can help me. I found a thread on here about stuttering and there was one poster which seemed to have a similar problem to me, but they were not the OP and did not come back to the thread.

When I'm racing online the framerate is fine then after about 5 or so minutes of racing the game will stutter for 10-20 seconds, then return to normal frame rates. I have also tried this offline in practice mode and the results were the same. It happens accross multiple tracks and car series.

Frame rates are normally 59/60fps with vsync enabled and 60-85 fps without. When the stuttering happens frame rates are indicated as 45-55fps, however if feels much worse, with ocasional pauses of more then 1 second.

Framerates were obtained from MSI Afterburner OSD/ graph log.
    Afterburner also shows no increased GPU usage or GPU temp while stuttering. Both stay constant before during and after the stuttering.
    There is also no increase in CPU usage, which remains around 30-40% usage. This is monitored by task manager on 2nd screen.

PC Specs:
    CPU: i7 3770K
    RAM: 32GB DDR 1600
    GPU: AMD HD7970 3GB with driver: 14.12 AMD Catalyst Omega Software
    SSD: Crucial MX100
    SSD: Crucial M4
    Controller: Logitech Driving Force Pro

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  2. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Have had the same issue before, but right now it seems dissapeared...don't ask, no idea, havent changed any settings, nor hardware specs... it is just gone...

3. Mr_Yogi

Mr_Yogi New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the reply. Oh well I can hope it fixes itself then.

Anyone else had this issue?

4. 247

247 Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Notebook or desktop?

5. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    I had it a few days ago, couldn't understand it either, only thing I noted was it was in the time frame my windows updates are due to be checked for and installed, like you though, it was only for about 20 seconds or so then returned to normal.

I have since installed a free piece of software called "Razer Cortex" which can be found HERE, it claims to increase frame rate performance by shutting down system processes that aren't needed, it has mixed results with the frame rate but does seem to do the job and it definitely shuts down all the none essential system processes.

I haven't had any issues since, maybe worth a look?

6. Michael Me

Michael Me New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    yes, I've had it @Sachsenring and Zandvoort a few weeks ago.
    After I had changed the graphics settings back to an in game Standard Setting (with no pers. changes) , it was gone.
    But I don't know it that was the reason.... game was very lagy from time to time before ...always in the same corners on a track, I don't know why

7. Mr_Yogi

Mr_Yogi New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Desktop.

8. 247

247 Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Well i have a notebook and I had stuttering problems too but in a more consistent way...solved everything disassembling my notebook and then cleaning everything...my problem was caused by the fan being too dirty and then my pc was overheating...but since you have a desktop I don't know if it's the same problem...anyway cleaning the fan is always worth a shot :)

9. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Never had issues due to dirty fans (they still to move air :) ).

Better clean that heatsink and/or change the thermal paste while you're at it if you never done it.

10. 247

247 Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    never done it but luckily the complete cleaning of my notebook completely solved all of my problems :) (except of course of ping and slow loading times xD )

11. Mr_Yogi

Mr_Yogi New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I believe your's was the thread I was originally reading. However I have no problems with thermals and I can't see any obvious reason for the stuttering.

The stuttering can happen at any place on the track. If it was 1 particular spot I would assume the track was just more complex at that point. In which case, dropping the graphics options would probably fix it. For example; the start/ finish line of the Nurburgring with a full grid can feel a little sluggish at high graphical levels and 4x MSAA (as it did for me on rFactor years ago).

My Issue however, is that I can do a number of complete laps trouble free, and then the game will stutter. But the stuttering is much worse that you would expect due to a particularly taxing part of the track. It can be very difficult not to crash when it happens during tight sections of track. If you are battling with someone at the time they will gain a couple of seconds or pass you, due to the fact you must drive gentley while it's stuttering.

If anything the game should be less taxing the further into the race you go, as there will be less cars on screen due to the field spreading out.

One thing I've read, mentions the auto saving of the races (replays)? Could this be an issue? I wouldn't expect it to with 2 SATA3 SSD's and no mechanical HDDs. But is it possible to disable this feature to test?

12. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I've had that idea when i had the same problem, but noone ever replys me from Devs so no clue about it. One more thing, is you VSync on? if yes try to turn it off, not sure it has anything to do with the issue, but worth a try.

13. Mr_Yogi

Mr_Yogi New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I will try it without v-sync tonight.

14. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    Happened to me but I have not experienced it again. Did not change anything ( I beleive ) .

However I have not done very many online race since so I can't say it's gone for sure.

By the way your description is the right one, I would be racing for a while then suddenly the issue would start and always in the same sections on the track. Then it would fine until I hit those section again.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  15. Mr_Yogi

Mr_Yogi New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well I tried it without v-sync and didn't suffer any stuttering in either of the two races I entered :)

Don't like the constant tearing though, through the turns :(