Silhouette Tires heating up after Feb update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gansa75, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Well you can thank me later for curing massive understeer issues then!

TBH I think that suspension setup is more placebo effect than real as it seems we can make extreme changes but they don´t really affect the car that much, at least on RRE. I remember Microprose F1GP series where small changes would total modify car handling.

I get more results from changing the steering lock angle and steering sensitivity than actual car setup changes but maybe that´s down to using a digital input device.

2. Gansa75

Gansa75 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    @Vale .. thx for point my nose to the steering lock issue , i will look how it is setup for that particular car ..
    , it just baffles me how that can have an impact .. ive been googling the subject a bit
    So by setting a higher steering lock, you make your wheel more sensitive .. meaning you physically have to turn LESS to get a certain rotation of the car but at the same time makes it easier to overturn front wheels resulting in more tirewear that seems logic . but how a higher value (or turning sensitivity )makes you a second faster round a track i can not comprehend .
    for now I've been trying to reduce oversteering during cornes to keep the temps down on portimao and that helped a bit
    but as a rule of thumb should'nt you want to keep a 1:1 ratio between your physical controller , and the steering wheel in-game? (so turning my g29 90° should resemble 90°s on the steering wheel in the cockpit?)

3. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    I think we are mixing two different concepts.
    One is the steering wheel angle in degrees, which should be the same in game as on your controller wheel. I don´t use a wheel so I can´t adjust that option, it is fixed per car e.g. 544 or something like that for the Silhouette, I can´t remember. I won´t give advice on that as I am not using a wheel.
    Another thing is the steering lock of the front wheels, usually going from 8 to 20 and default setting is 8. If you increase lock, it will reduce the car´s turning circle so you can make it round hairpins e.g. the 2 tightest corners at Portimao. However, with a digital controller, too much lock will make you slower and use your tyres up quicker as the car is steering more than necessary on other parts of the track. With an analogue wheel, it might not matter as you have control of how much steering input you make. Increasing lock will make you faster on some track and slower on others. You need to find a balance track per track and car per car. To give you an idea, at Sepang GP I was 8 seconds per lap slower with the incorrect steering lock setting than the best one in the Silhouettes before the update (2.09 compared with 2.17) driving the same line and same everything. Crazy, right?

The third concept is steering sensitivity, which is in the game controller general menu. Here you can adjust how sensitive it is to inputs and how much dead zone and return you get. More sensitive steering will allow you to turn and catch slide quicker but again you may use your tyres more and it won´t help you get round hairpin corners as the maximum angle the car wheels turn will not change, it will just get to full lock quicker.

I would suggest playing about with these 3 sets of parameters until you get your laptimes down and the car is manageable. After that look at actual setup work if needed.

It is also good to adjust throttle and brake sensitivty and deadzone if you are spinning out on acceleration or the brakes lock up.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  4. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Just catching up here seeing as I was tagged.

I suspect that tweaking the tyre pressures will help in the example brought up by the topic starter. The tyre temperature display on the bottom left of the garage screen is the best tool you have in game for setting these. I'll quote something I've posted before:

I also saw some discussion of the GT3 tyres. Might be interesting to mention that the Silhouettes use the same tyres as them too.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OldFart

OldFart Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for confirming the tyres are the same as the GT3 I did wonder, I found adjusting from the old ones took far less time so makes sense, for some reason i have yet to solve completely the vagueness around the middle 15/20 degrees in the GT3s. this not there on the silhouettes, keep up the good work it is appreciated, P1/2 or Group 5 next please

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. bubblejohns

bubblejohns Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    no alex silhouette uses dunlop not pirelli, Michelin Yokohama and continental :p

but yeah i noticed some similarities in tire spec they're moderately high grip and long life, seems like endurance races will be dependant on fuel stops not tires
    these are like gt 3 cars but smaller like some sort of gt3.5

7. Michael.Bolton

Michael.Bolton Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Could it be the overheating is caused by the brakes being to hard? I have set brake force to 90% and i don't have that much issues.

8. bubblejohns

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    noticed any bad bop with the silhouettes too?

9. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Three different cars in the top four in this competition so far - I'll keep an eye on it.

10. Kerch

Kerch New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I like the Silhouettes, but I think their performance index needs to be updated. They're comfortably faster than GT4, but start behind them in a multiclass race.

11. bubblejohns

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    agreed on that, i think gt4 is better for really long races but i dont know anyone that actually does them in raceroom

12. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Just curious, what were the correct and incorrect settings? I'm using digital input too and I didn't expect steering lock to have that much of effect. Gotta test it now, but it would be nice to have some data to compare...