Sim racing Computer Requirements in 2020?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Azfalt Raser, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Any "PC Tech heads" out there that might be able to give me some suggestions on my PC requirements for triple screen sim racing? I have 2 main goals.......

1) Run Triple, BenQ 32" 1440p/144hz monitors. Not "widescreen" aspect ratio monitors though.
    2) A Mini ITX form factor (for personal reasons)

I was hoping to resuse my Sandybridge processor (and overclock it to 4.5ghz). So I was mainly interested in the graphics card. I wanted a single card with dual GPU's, but I don't see any new models.
    And unless there is a way to split 1 PCIe slot with a PCIe slot splitter/riser, I don't see a way to use 2 graphics cards for other sims or other genres of games. Is the 2080ti my only alternative for triple monitor gaming?

What do you guys use?
    Any suggestions to run those monitors?

------------------------------------
    My current PC (self built in 2012)
    i7 2700k (no overclock (will overclock to 4.5ghz with new build)
    16GB DDR3 RAM 1333mhz (can upgrade to 1666mhz, max - I think)
    AMD HD6970 (equivalent to Nvidia GTX 480 or GTX 570)
    Triple Asus 23" 1ms gaming monitors.

Served me well for 9 years - but dying a slow death. I used to be a frequent visitor to this forum. I see that PC2 incorporated my suggestion (in R3E forum) of voice activated car suspension setup help. Anyway,I sold off my sim racing gear in 2017 due to financial issues and illness (lost the feeling in my feet), but after a recent diagnosis and improving situation, I want to get back to it.

Thanks.

2. Bavarian_Firebird

Bavarian_Firebird Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    I wouldnt recommend overclocking the cpu. If its as old as you say just keep it cool to extend its lifetime. ITX shouldnt be a problem, except for heat issues (cpu...you know) because of the compact size. You can use an adapter (please not the cheapest) to lay down the grafic card. A should RTX 2070 should do. In regards of RaceRoom even a GTX 1070Ti or 1080Ti would fire up your 3 monitors. But keep in mind RR is cpu-hungry. So my go to config would be (your given hardware included):
    - i7 2700K (good one, i would keep 3.5 GHz) LGA 1155
    - Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3 Mainboard (Mini-ITX)
    - 2x 8 GB RAM (with heat sinks - the small ones)
    - Gigabyte nvidia RTX 2070
    - if you could fit it in: Corsair Hydro H45 water cooler (ready to build in)
    Should give you an nice, small PC even VR Ready.
    The case should have enough wholes to let air in and out.
    If possible I would go for ATX and a midi tower or big tower. I dont like it cramped.

Addition:
    You can use a MTS-Monitor Adapter on a GTX 1070 or 1080 to plug in your 3 monitors because as I remember both cards only have one DP-Port. The 2070 has up to 3.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ducman888

ducman888 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    From my experience the connections are the key to approach utilizing 144hz. Ensure the card has three Display Ports as mentioned, learned this the hard and expensive way.
    My setup I have been using for a few years now and works fantastic
    i5 6600k 3.5 Ghz (not overclocked)
    16 GB RAM DDR4 2400
    MSI GTX1080 ti
    3 MSI 27" Optic MAG27C

A number of years ago the developer of PCars suggested NOT overclocking CPU or GPU as it could potentially cause issues with the other aspects of the game as to how the FFB is communicated back to the driver.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the tips. It's been so long since I delved into the new tech, but getting up to speed - thanks for the help.

Prior to my i7 build. I built an i5 2500k overclocked to 4.0ghz (using a Coolermaster Hyper 212 air cooler), Crossfire setup, and triple screens. . I "unparked" all cores so the workload was shared among the 4 cores all of the time, instead of using 1 core at a time as demand increases. Yes, it ran hot.

But I gave that PC away. What a mistake. That person turned out to be a Douchebag. I should have just kept the i5 PC.
    I use a Noctua NH-D14 for the i7

I have to find or make a few custom parts, but when I'm done, I'll post pics on this forum first.

Thanks again.