Simucube 2 your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Turtle Power, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 0
    Not cheap, seems like a new step forward or is it? Unfortunately, I don't have spare xxxxxxx dollars but it will be interesting to see how it performs in comparison to our old gen Direct Drives. Send it to Sim Racing Garage for the review :D

2. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +207 / 0
    I'd say DD wheels are now into the realms of smaller gains rather than the massive step up from belt/gear driven wheels. The hardware is fairly mature and software is well developed. The all in one solution is a big bonus as they can give it to developers and say "here, support that....." OSW wheels have the disadvantage that they are not all the same, different encoders, different motors, different software or iterations of software etc. Giving them full support must be very difficult.

The simucube 2 looks to be very well thought out, the integrated QR is very neat. Not sure how the wireless wheel will work, will it need to be a specifically developed wheel or will there be a wheel plate for existing wheels etc.... Interesting stuff.

I hope the move to one box solutions by simucube and fanatec can ultimately create more sales and in turn gradually bring the price down due to economies of scale. I can see in a few years time well developed DD solutions in the £600 bracket, much easier to justify for the average sim racer.

We have never had it better in terms of sim gear, in the 10 or so years I've been involved in the hobby the equipment that has come out is incredible.... Just wish I had deeper pockets!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +517 / 0
    i think it's "cheap" for a DD-system. I guess it performs slightly better than current/old gen DDs... but for me I don't see a need to get the Simucube 2, I'm pretty happy with the (old) Simucube System.
    It's definetly more attractive than a Podium DD.

First differences I noticed are: SC2 is fanless, so no noise. And the much sleeker design. Podium has more look of a toy compared to the SC2. SC2 has two power bricks, Podium only one.

DD1_normal1-1000x666.jpg vs sr_874370_largeish.png

your choice ^^

4. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +517 / 0
    what I dislike about the all-in-one solultion is that you cannot upgrade single components anymore. The thought of the original simucube was to be able to upgrade every component. the cables, the encoder, the motor, the mainboard, the PSU, the Servo Drive.... in SC2 it's now all-in-one, which takes this possibility. "oh there's a better encoder released.... oh wait.. I probably need to buy a newer revision of my Simucube" ... or maybe it's possible to exchange the back part of the simucube where the electronics are stored. hm. But I don't really need to think about it since my Simucube (1) is alive and kicking

• Like Like x 1
  5. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +207 / 0
    Yeah there are definitely pros and cons to both approaches. I suppose though now that the DD concept is well tested they know what works and what doesn't. If something works well then upgrading for something that may be only a tiny bit better is pointless. A lot of users would probably prefer just to have a sealed system that works, not everyone likes to pull things apart. I see that VRS are in the process of building a one box DD wheel too which looks promising.

• Like Like x 1