Simvibe Kerbs - no effect?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by clevername, Oct 16, 2016.

1. clevername

clevername Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I am using simvibe with 6 shakers, using both chassis and extensions mode. After a lot of experimenting, I am not able to feel the kerb effect at all in the chassis and extensions shakers, other than as a slight bumpy feel within the road-bumps and vertical-texture settings. The kerb effect is very strong in my FFB wheel.

Is the kerb effect simulated in R3E for simvibe? Or, am I doing something wrong?

2. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Things to know:

"Kerb effect" in your FFB wheel is something we call "canned" effect. It's a preprogrammed effect that the FFB of the game trigger while you run on a Kerb.
    That said: Simvibe use the output datas provided by the game and it's physics engine. Understand: there's no "kerb effect" in the output data generated by the physic engine of the game, only wheel mouvements and so.

First: you may should get rid of the "kerb effect" on your wheel witch is often overkill and not so close to the real thing. By tweaking the FFB settings you can have it when it's really here, not every-time even when the kerb you're are on are not the deap at all.
    Same thing for simvibe, vertical-texture and road bumps should give you the right feeling. I use them with my 4-shaker setup (2 right/left chassis mode, 2 extension) and I've all the shaking needed when it run over some kerbs.
    Don't expect to have it in any way: as it's an output from the physics engine with some car over some light kerb you'll not feel anything, as it should be (cars have suspension to absorbe it)
    Try it with a car that have hard suspension like the Formula Raceroom 2 on a track that has deap kerbs (don't try it on suzuka for ex..)

3. clevername

clevername Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. That is good information, very much appreciated. You confirmed my feeling that R3E does not output the kerb effect to the chassis/extensions.

For anyone else searching for this information, they may also find this useful: Even though the kerb effect in-game is canned, I still find the feeling that I am on the kerb useful. Additionally, different tracks have different kerbs and rumble-strip feeling and seem to affect traction and handling. So, instead of turning the kerb effect off, I have turned kerbs down to 15% in-game and slightly dampened the effect in my wheel's software to offset the game's very strong native effect. It may not be reality, but for me it is a good compromise and feels good in the wheel.

4. Robert

Robert New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I use a seperate buttkicker connected to my bass/audio channel for kerbs and fine vibrations.