Single GPU to run 7680x1440p resolution

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Azfalt Raser, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I want to upgrade to 27" 1440p monitors, but need to find out what SINGLE graphics card can run that resolution, since Raceroom doesn't support multi-gpus.

Wondered if anyone out there is running 1440p triple screens?
    What graphics card are you using?
    What kinds of fps are you getting in Raceroom (and other sims)?

Currently, I'm running 1080p, 23" monitors with an HD6970 (equivalent to GTX570).
    On highest settings, I have fps limited to 70fps (but >100 when not limited) in 1920 resolution.

On Medium (with no shadows) get ???? in 5760 resolution.
    On Low (with no shadows) I was getting 50-60 fps depending on the track.

Apparently having technical difficulties...I see my FPS and temp data on the splash screens and on the UI menus pages, but once I go into a race, the onscreen data disappears.

2. hyp36rmax

hyp36rmax Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I plan on running this setup with three ASUS MG279Q 1440P 144hz monitors. Currently on a single ASUS PB287Q 4K monitor. I imagine if you plan on running this with a single GPU with RaceRoom with 7680x1440P you would have to turn the settings really low without Anti-Aliasing.

This game isn't very demanding either since I can run it with all the settings maxed out on a Single AMD FURY X in 4K. I actually have two FURY X GPU's in crossfire. This game actually does see improvements with crossfire and multi-GPU's, albeit with minor flickering. The UI menu flicker can easily be fixed with a command line:
    • Right Click on the game in the steam library.
    • Click "properties."
    • Click "SET LAUNCH OPTIONS..."
    • Enter -cefNoGPU -cefNoD3D11 -cefLogInfo in the text field.
    • Click Ok.
    • Start the game.
    I did a test with and without Crossfire on back in Jan. 2016: Check it out: Link

3. Azfalt Raser

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info...

It's interesting. I'll have to re-install my 2nd card then and see if it's a graphics driver thing.
    It may have something to do with the fact that my video cards are from 2011 and AMD has stopped driver support of the 6000 series gpus.
    I have the last "official" drivers available for my gpus, installed.
    A newer beta version is available, but they won't be fixing any bugs or issues with that driver, so what's the point.
    There are newer drivers, but those don't support my gpus.

Thanks for that link and report. Gotta get a computer working full time first.

"Hurry up and upgrade to windows 10"...."make sure to update your win7 first".....except can't seem to download any updates from microsoft. updates "hang" and crash. Then things stop working....so re-format. ok.....8th time in 2 days has to be the charm.

4. hyp36rmax

hyp36rmax Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Let me know your results. I waiting for my 1440P monitors this week. I'll try to get an update with the performance.

5. Azfalt Raser

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    put my 2nd GPU back in my pc. Nothing - not working - dead. :confused:
    I'll never loan a gpu to friends anymore.

6. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    You used to be able to mod the newer drivers to include older cards, probably still can, havnt needed to for a while myself so cant help you there.
    As for win 7 udates, conspiracies n all that :) Well known problem updating win 7 in recent times, there is a convenience roll up download that patches from sp1 upto april or may this year, there are then monthly updates you can download to bring it upto date, after the big 440ish mb first update win update works perfect. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3020369
    Do a fresh install, install the roll up update, then win update, worked here 1st time.
    Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  7. Azfalt Raser

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I installed the first beta Crimson driver after support for the HD6000 series gpus had been discontinued . Seems to work great. The quality of the video is leaps ahead of previous driver. No change in fps. Still about 40fps at 5760x1080 on high settings. Not too bad for 2GB card. The new AMD software has some great features too.

But the HEAT! I forgot how much heat these old AMD cards put out in crossfire mode.
    I can't get windows, MSI afterburner or AMD software to recognize my 2nd card. I think my crossfire bridge is bad. Or maybe the PCIe slot. The 2nd card works. I installed it in the first slot....no problem.

------------------

Yeah, already installed the "Rollup". hopefully updating too. We'll see.