SLI supported?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oppolo, Oct 28, 2015.

1. oppolo

oppolo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
  2. Dan Speelman

Dan Speelman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    There are some games that do not support SLI and unfortunately R3E is one of them. There are some settings that can be forced in nvidia inspector to get R3E rendering on both cards but it causes a lot of flickering and I didn't see much of a framerate improvement. The good news is it runs well on one card ( I have two GTX760s) and you don't have to worry about deactivating SLI before you play or anything like that. I think I read somewhere that S3 has plans to support it in the future.
    SLI adds another moving part to your pc and there is more maintenance involved. For any newly released game you will most likely have to update your driver to get the most out of your SLI rig. In some cases there will be bugs that only effect SLI systems but I've only come across a couple of these in the time I've had an sli system. Hope this helps!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Alex Bonner

Alex Bonner Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    I play maxed out (apart from shadows) on 980 SLI on 3 screens just fine. A friend has the MSI 980 SLI on 3 screens and says his settings are roughly 90% max so you'll be just fine. Enjoy ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone,
    This is possibly a couple of dumb questions :)...but I have a GTX 690...'Is this considered a Sli card in one card?...basically 2 cards in one unit,... therefore would I be only using one part or side of the GTX690 in R3E?

5. oppolo

oppolo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Thankyou a lot for answers

6. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Yes, your gtx 690 would count as 2 gpus working in SLI, much like physically having 2 separate gtx 680's in the same system can be used in SLI.

Since SLI isnt supported yet, and like mentioned above, doesnt work very well even with tweaking settings in the Nvidia control panel and in Nvidia Inspector, it is best to disable SLI, and only use 1 gpu to play the game. At least from my experience as someone with 2 gtx 660's. To do that, there should be an option in the Nvidia control panel to disable SLI.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    Actually there is no need to disable it, raceroom will simply not use the extra power.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Right, that'ts true... However, since this game doesnt support SLI, having 2 gpus setup in SLI where only 1 is working... well, weird things happen. For whatever reason, disabling the 2nd gpu works better with multi-gpu setups in R3E. Frame rates are a bit better, there isnt any hitching, there isnt any micro stutters associated with a 2nd gpu. The game is just overall more stable.

I've noticed the same phenomenon in other games that dont support multi-gpu configs as well. Disabling the 2nd gpu just makes the game work better.

Sure you can keep both gpus enabled, but the game will run better with 1 of them disabled ;)

Perhaps you have had a different experience with the game if you have a multi-gpu config, but I've heard from a few people on this forum that disabling the 2nd gpu provides more favorable results :)

9. oppolo

oppolo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Ok thanks all, anyway with that laptop linked in my first post, I can play R3E at maximum details, can I?