Slow of the line

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base' started by John Littleonion, Jun 1, 2021.

1. John Littleonion

John Littleonion Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    As the title suggests , I am painfully slow of the line.
    I have this problem from the begining, but it did not bother me until now. I usually did not qualify ,so I staretd from the back..and the other cars (most of them) started as slow.
    But after 70 or so races , I got a bit better and more competitive.
    Racing on Suzuka ,ranked (multiclass, dtm, masters ,gt3) I usually qualify 5,6 and lose 4-5 places on the start. It feels like a big disadvantage at this point. As those cars that get past me on the start are in most cases slower than me in the race.
    The only car available to me at this time is Bmw m6 gt3.
    So, what am I doing wrong? is there some trick or technic to get better.
    Or is the "trick" in the pedals?
    My wheel is an old thrustmaster ferrari gt force feedback. And the pedals that came with it.
    Throttle sensitivity in game is set to 35/40
    Any suggestions or ideas are much appriciated!

2. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    Most likely your traction control setting prevents you from getting away as fast as you could. Best thing would be to assign buttons on your wheel to it to be able to adjust TC while driving. Practice your starts with different steps and see which setting's your sweet spot. You can also edit the percentage values of how much tc you want to have for each of the steps in the garage. Hope that helps.

Oli

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. nickh158

nickh158 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I used to have this problem. Everyone used to go past me at the start...
    I`ve found this works: first, check if the car has launch control, the Audis for example and make sure you have a button assigned to that. You`d be surprised how few people seem to realise this exists (listen to the number of people revving their engines on the start line) and it gives you a good advantage.
    Otherwise, stay in neutral and if you use the mini data display hold the throttle steady just before the rev counter/throttle display goes into the green (about 80-85%). As soon as the lights go green drop into 1st and floor it. Don`t blip the throttle on the start line and don`t let the rev counter go into the red.
    All this assumes you`re using manual sequential gears and auto clutch.
    Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    bmw m6; set 1st tc to 30
    second tc to whatever you drive with

ingear no cluch; 75% throttle, moment the car moves nail it ; change gear ; flip to your normal tc

Andi

5. John Littleonion

John Littleonion Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your time guys.
    Plan on driving this evening so I will try fiddling with the traction control settings.
    I already have buttons asigned for the tc levels.
    And right now feeling a bit on the dumb side ,for not realising that myself.:confused:
    @nickh158
    I saw that launch control option someware( audi tt perhaps)
    And tried to find it for bmw ,but could not.
    Concluded I was seeing things..:D

@Andi Goodwin
    Tnx for the car specific setup. Will try it tonight!

6. nickh158

nickh158 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Do you use the clutch pedal though? I have auto clutch, so I don`t put it in gear until the lights go green.I`ve never found TC to be an
    There`s a list here somewhere of all the cars that have launch control, otherwise just press the button you`ve assigned on the start line and it`ll say `launch control unavailable`, or `hold throttle down and release button when ready`. Control Settings> Edit Assignments and it`s on the first page, 12th on the list.

7. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Gt3 cars , the one he mentions doesnt have launch control

Andi

8. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Another point to rememember with Gt3s is that although they have fixed gear ratios, some cars have lower gearing and more torque and cars with mid or rear engines get better traction from standing start, so a 911 should always beat an M6 off the line. Engine map should also be on 5.

• Like Like x 1
  9. John Littleonion

John Littleonion Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Tnx for the info, will check that launch contol option on Audi tt .
    No clutch for me ,at least at the moment.
    Auto clutch and buttons on the wheel.

10. John Littleonion

John Littleonion Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Yeah , that makes sense. Better weight distribution and better traction on the rear wheels.
    Right now ,I am a sitting duck after the lights go out. Even the people in the same car have to go around me ..
    And the engine map is set to 5.
    I'll try the above suggestions and see if there is some improvment.

11. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    I match squished beetles , except for the guys who are just demigods of the line

Andi

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Having read the thread, I now wonder why I never had this issue even though I start with 80% TC and simply keep the gas to the floor until the lights go green. I do not start that high up on the grid, but in the middle of the field I usually start a bit better than people around me...

13. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Really depends on car gearing etc , bmw m6 @30 % is pretty good you can go lower still but then you need to do a few other things , other cars can be more all less depending on you and your skill level , clutch slip , throttle modulation etc , but bmw is ok as i explained above

Andi

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  14. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    I mean yeah, there's a lot of things that affect that. But losing 5 positions? I really wonder why our experience is so much different.

15. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Ppl at the front tend to nail the start , last thing you want is the masses catching you in the killing zone of t1

Andi

16. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    5+5 means you are caught by everyone from 6th to 10th, and p10 is not high at all. I would definitely expect 5 places difference if it was a front row vs. back row comparison, but I'm talking about much closer skill range...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    I just hope rolling starts come back to be honest for classes that usually have them

Andi

• Like Like x 2
  18. John Littleonion

John Littleonion Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Could be the pedals , dont know what you are using but mine are stock (plastic-fantastic:D)
    Or I just suck at starts..:)
    Tried flooring the pedal, then keeping the revs in the green , tried with no revs and then gently apply the gas...all the same.
    Car just spins tires ..revs go wild and then after what seems like eternity , I 'm off.
    2-3 places lost due my poor skills is acceptable.
    But 5-6 places is not.
    I mean , all the effort of quali is gone ...and the worst part is that by the t1 rest of the pack is hard on my tail. And that usually ends somewere in the gravel/wall.

19. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    When say 75% throttle i mean pedal travel the car will be bouncing on the limiter

Andi

20. V10_Dog

V10_Dog Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    In Ranked everyone is riding the jump start protection. Basically, you just go into 1st gear, press the throttle the whole time and your car will launch as soon as the lights go green. If you donĀ“t do this, you will lose somewhere between 2-4 places. I hate how it is, but I do it too, because everyone else does it. They really need to find a solution for this.

• Agree Agree x 2