So pissed at #Fanatec right now - Broken pins on McLaren Wheel

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MattStone, Oct 19, 2018.

1. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Thank Domb for work through this problem with me

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  2. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    To me it sounds like they have offered to do the right thing. I have not read about this being a big issue anywhere else so it could well just be one dodgy connector. I personally would have taken the replacement and got the discounted quick release.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Oreos

Oreos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Hopefully @DomB can help you on this one, he seems to be the community manager at the moment.

4. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    It was a big enough problem that that have stopped selling them with the plastic QR!
    and there are quite a few posts around complaining about this very problem.

They offered to do the bare minumum I guess.
    I’m probably one of the unlucky ones that got one from a faulty batch but you’d think that they would offer a metal one to ensure it doesn’t happen again as they obviously don’t have faith in the unit as aren’t shipping plastic ones anymore and offer it for free for the inconvienance caused and to restore some faith in their service and product.

Yeah I posted this angry and should have slept on it but I’m most annoyed because I can’t help but feel this was some what predictable given I got mine about a week before they pulled them off the market.

5. DomB

DomB Fanatec

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
  6. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Thanks DomB.
    Your quick response is starting to restore my faith..I look forward to hearing from you.

7. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    For those who own a fanatec wheel with plastic simplified quick release system read this post by DomB that I just found over on the raceroom forums. I wish I would have known about this weeks ago.

https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/fanatec-mclaren-gt3-rim-problems.151970/page-5#post-2832490

I guess this sums up my frustration in that Fanatec should have emailed this advice to all customers who purchased a wheel with the simplified plastic quick release system. Just a simple check would allow their customers the opportunity to be proactive instead of finding this post by chance or finding out when it’s too late after breaking pins.

8. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    While we're at it : I bought the CSL Elte Wheel just recently and admitting that it is a fine piece of Hardware I was quiet shocked to face some connection issues with the rear jack (RJ 12) connecting the wheel with my CSP Pedals - the input is a bit too loose so that the cable with the clamp doesn't fit perfectly, means if I don't "stuff" it into the jack or just pull at it by accident I get a connection error and the brakes don't work properly anymore (flicker). I helped myself by putting a tiny piece of Gaffa Tape around the connector to get it fixed, but actually I'm quiet disappointed about about having such an issue for a 400.- plus wheel - Isn't it widely known that even the most sophisticated Hardware is just as good as the cheapest parts built in ???????

9. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    If you are not having any luck with customer support contact DomB. He’ll give you the personal treatment. My experience with him has been very positive

10. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Apart from that issue the wheel works perfectly - anything else means to send it back and I'm not willing to do it right in the middle of my league season ;)

11. Barracuda318

Barracuda318 Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    it is better to rewrite the first post so people reading this have some idea what it is about
    if you just delete the first post the thread becomes quite confusing???