So what else are ya playin?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dave R, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    This pic says it all. Farewell for a bit R3E, AC, PCars, FIFA, and everything else in my Steam and Origin Libraries. It's FM Time!!
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Why485

Why485 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    If you're talking for PC, Hardline is pretty much dead on PC.

BF4 + Premium is very cheap to get these days and is both very good and actively supported by the developers with great communication with the community. It's a whole different game nowadays from what it was on release and significantly better.

Edit: Oh, just read that you already have it. Well, either way point still stands. Battlefield 4 is a very good game and one that I'm always coming back to.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    It was nice knowing you.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ozcanuck55

ozcanuck55 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    The DCS World sim is pretty good...the default Russian ground attack will get you started.....and its free ( like RRE). Add the A-10 if you are keen. They have lots of extremely nerdy add ons now. Full realism if you want it.
    I like FSX, if you get some add on scenery ( see FTX for some high quality freebies)......very relaxing. Cheap on Steam. The addons are expensive, but you don't have to buy the Steam ones. I like bush flying Alaska and the West Coast of Canada.
    Also the good old IL-2 Sturmovik...a bit long in the tooth, but great WW2 action. Cheap on Steam. A classic.
    I don't get enough time to play these with all the car racing I'm doing, but they are pretty interesting......my daughter likes to go for a cruise in FSX, too ( and drive Euro Truck 2). Happy flying!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    If you're main priority isn't speed, try Rise Of Flight. You get to fly WWI double-deckers and such. It ain't cheap (kinda like R3E business model-wise) but it's fun and beautiful and it's got everything you'd expect of a proper sim.

EDIT: Actually they're having a sale right now, so it's not that expensive atm.

Btw, love those oil speck animations they've got. Would be in heaven if we had something like this in R3E...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  6. ozcanuck55

ozcanuck55 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    The basic free Rise of Flight will keep you going for a while....recommended.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    I'm going to try DCS to start with. I've also got a disc copy of FSX knocking about somewhere so I will try to get back into that.

Speed isn't a priority but I prefer jet aircraft. I like ground attack so the default DCS aircraft sounds good, then maybe the A-10 if I get on ok. FSX will be my airliner sim. I spent hundreds of hours on FS9 flying the Airbus A320 so I'll have to find a good free/pay mod for that aircraft. It's one I feel comfortable with.

8. CTS-V_GO

CTS-V_GO New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Driveclub, waiting for Gran turimso 7 :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dan Speelman

Dan Speelman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    The a-10c add-on is well worth the money and it is 40% off on steam now. It comes with some really well done interactive training tutorials so you are not stuck reading a manual all night. It also helps that the instructor sounds exactly like Samuel L Jackson to the point that I'm not entirely convinced it isn't. I will say flying a mission in the A-10c from startup to shutdown is one of the most rewarding experiences I've had in a sim.

Back on topic, besides R3E I've been playing a little AC and even less Project Cars. Battlefield 4 is back on the list as well as playing Resident Evil Revelations 2 coop with a friend over nvidia gamestream. It works surprisingly well if you don't mind your games looking like an interactive youtube video.

10. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I hear you. Used to run flight sims for long time, always, until three years ago when suddenly, after 20 years or so, I lost interest.

Try the PMDG super-complex airliner cockpit modules for FSX, if you do not know them. FSX means for me: PMDG. Super realistic, and photorealistic. Their 737 is living legend by now. Their 777 also is said to be very good.

If going for Prepar3d, be aware that that is not without risks. Both regarding compatability with addons, and legal situation: Lockheed does not realy engage in the consumer segment of the simulation market, and ifo they decide they have had enough of it, and abandon P3D, then you are screwed. I thought very long time about P3D (1, 2 or now 3), and then decided to leave it aside. If oyu must not use it for tehcncial reasons, I recommend to stay with FSX and using a 4GB patch on it. Then good scenery addons for airports - and PMDG. Without it, FSX is just a game, a toy . With PMDG, it is a superb simulator.

Angle of Attack's superb video introduction to the PMDG-737's

cockpit - LINK

exterior model - LINK

AoA'S channel has plenty of superb training videos for this, 2-4 years ago. Check it out.

FSX default does in no way compare to PMDG's level of simulation. If you do not know it, you'll entering a very different world.

P.S.
    Nick did the same thing for the newer 777 by PMDG, too. Here it is: LINK cockpit video

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  11. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Its really incredible how many high quality addon's are still being developed for FSX. as it is nearly 10 years old. But with Prepar3d it really got a second life. But as @Skybird already told, it is a bit difficult with prepar3d as it is non-commercial-software. That is very noteable with the latest Release V3. Users of Prepar3d V2 had to buy a new full-price-license for it if they want to have it - even that it isn't much more than an update.

The next year or maybe years will be very interesting in the FS-World, as there are some new Flighsims in development, including a successor for FSX, which is in development by Dovetail.

12. Vanaja74

Vanaja74 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I stay sceptical about it. There Steam version of FSX suffer from great incompatabilities with FSX addons, which is the bread and butter of FSX. They fixed some meory leaks, and that was it. And then it will take long time until any FS11 will see first really high quality addons like PMDG addons. Not to mention that I would need to spend again a fortune for all those addons. I had a 50Gb installation with HighRes airports for Europe running for FSX.

FS alone is not too convincing, its only real big strength was its modular construction that allowed to turn a toy into a simulation.

So - I believe that things will be good when I see things turning out good. Not earlier. And honestly said: Dovetail is not known for high complexity simulators so far. More for relatively shallow stuff. And considering that they cooperate with Microsoft and what piece of spyware garbage MS tries to impose on people with W10, any cooperation with Microsoft is reason for concern and suspicion.

14. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    yeah - thats right... especially with the steam-version, which is really disappointing... but the modularity hasn't started with FSX. The Versions before FSX had nearly the same capabilities with reduced resources for sure. The lack of a successor made the additional modules much more complex and brought things to a higher level...

I can't judge if dovetail is capable to build a real FSX-Successor - in fact they are working on it and asked the FSX-Community for help.
    In addition other Companies/Groups are working on Sims to build a Successor for FSX as a sim with full support for technical developments in the last years is highly requested (for example: Multithreading, shader-techniques, 64bit, DX >=11).
    One example for such a sim could be this (in very early state): http://nexgenflightsim.com/

15. taxfree

taxfree Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    FSX ( R3E:FSX = 99:01 )
    upload_2015-10-31_17-58-16.png
    I’m planning to move on from FSX to Prepar3D.
    But when Sector3 opens the gate of the green hell, the ratio would still be the same. :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. The Monk

The Monk Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0

Oh god! It's been ages since I played this! Will have to update and go for a spin. I had a couple of friends who were very loose with their wallets and i was constantly getting stuff gifted to me. Then I would go on a spending spree during the sales and have the bulk of the content. Some of the best dogfights and my most memorable gaming moments were had in ROF.

• Like Like x 1
  17. julianbrown42

julianbrown42 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    dirt 3 , free on x box live this month

18. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    Just started to play The Long Dark yesterday... Died day 3 of starvation and I was caught in a storm were I contracted hypothermia.
    As my image began to blur, all I could distinguish were just the swaying top of the pine trees around me and my heartbeat slowly fading away.
    I never felt so lonely and sad playing a video game :disappointed:
    A must have

PS: never throw an unlit flare to a wolf. Light it up before or better... use a rifle with 7.62 cal ammo!
    Isn't it @chrisnj ?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  19. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    in our lunch break we started playing "spintires" at the office. Kinda fun sandbox, but sadly lacking actual game/motivational goals

20. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    mods and steam workshop coming soon