So what is it going to be this time?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MeMotS, Apr 3, 2017.

1. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    Before i get going on this thread i want everyone to know where i am coming from.

I have been a admin for ESR racing group for many years ( currently sitting at 190 members of steam )
    Our league thread are amongst the most viewed in this forum as we have been around for a long time. We have a wonderful group of people and i have made good friends.
    I have been a staunch supporter of this games, defending it from the start, helping people with their problems where i could. Arguing about Vrp to people and explaining the economy and how it works. Ive been on facebook, Discuss forum on steam forum and here spreading my love for this game.
    Even when it was mostly a leaderboard challenge only game in early 2014 i was all in.
    734 hours at last check on steam in this game.
    I have spent over 300$ in vRP alone over the years.
    I have purchase hardware just for Raceroom for our league ( recording Spectator replay and another machine for dedicated server/Teamspeak).
    I have setup donations for the Group that was used solely to purchase vRP so that every penny went back into the game economy, this was to get more people interested in racing online and have fun with us. Everything i did was to grow the game and the group.

But now i am at a breaking point of frustration as i will explain below.

Every single week i go in this game with this question.
    So what is it going to be this time?

Am i going to get kicked to the desktop while racing ?
    Am i going to get warped back 200 meters back when the game decides to freeze for half a sec when the fastest lap gets posted during a race.
    Is the pit going to work this time? Is there even going to be a pit stall for me to go to? Is the pit going to cancel on its own or sit there and not do anything after i clicked accept and wait in the right spot unable to do anything else?
    Is my wheel suddenly going to stop responding while racing ? ( When that happened even Alt-Tab or ctrl-alt-del would get me out of the game )

Now let's talk other items.
    Dedicated.
    Is it going to create the Json this time? And if it does is the Data going to be complete or missing some information?
    Why are most people able to connect and some get no response from server on the same session?
    Why is the ping no longer showing but it was before the patch when nothing changed on the server?
    When i launch dedicated are my setting going to be gone this time? Will i need to rename Sector3_Studios_AB again?

Spectator mode was broken for months.

Hours spent trying to make a good league and hours spent practicing my races and never know if i am going to be able to finish the race make for extreme frustration that i am not sure i can handle anymore.

I'm not here to win, i'm here to have fun.
    This current champ that we are running i was able to finish 3 races out of 6 because of some problems.
    The level of frustration it bring me versus fun factor is getting quite unbalanced.

I know Sector 3 is trying to fix these problems they are hard workers and they have built something wonderful and i also understand this is not a reflection of what most of you are experiencing.

It is still my favorite game but this is the first time since the beginning that i actually feel that i am spent.

This a message from a tired broken hearted Fanboy

*please don't turn this thread into an attack on the game and a fanboy mud slinging session i am not here to upset people.
    It truly comes from a good place, and if you can't feel it, know that i am extremely saddened by it all.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  2. OverTheLine

OverTheLine Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +210 / 0 / -0
    Your frustration and dispair is met with open arms and a big hug :) me and Rirdeg hosted a league on Pcars and had so many issues, most funnily similar to the ones you describe... pit bugs, tire issues, feedback issues, Full lock to the left/right (my favourite when leading in P1)... hence why we have recently brought our endurance/multi-class..ness to raceroom ..

Having said that it was a large gamble coming over to Raceroom, i played the game on release for a while when it was still under simbin, though the word dissapointed is a understatement from the same people who made GTR2 and Race07 at that time..... I've got just under 350 hours in Raceroom to date, however im glad to say that most of that time has been this year since we moved our league over from pcars.

I know that you specify that THIS game has many issues, however i would say that most sim-racing games have issues. Sadly its just part of gaming :( i know that it will always happen when im leading for around 40 minutes or so and it comes down to that bonnet to bonnet battle when i get a lag spike and warp, or the feedback will just disappear into the void of space. But i get that in iRacing, and dont even ask me what pCars was like (i WILL end up crying)...thats why ive come to understand you LITERALLY never celebrate until you cross that bloody line for the last time :p

On a seperate note, im glad to see that the developers not only recognise the issues the game has, but are also working their backsides off trying to fix them while creating NEW content! :). Which is far more that can be said for other platforms on the market. (and with one of the smallest teams out there as well)

Again, i understand where your coming from, from a sim racer of over 8 years on different games, i feel your pain, however when i compare it to other platforms and the issues they gave me, i just take a deep breath and say "it's just one of those things"...and then go and cry... :)

things will improve, I wouldnt be helping the admins of our group to organise events, create highlight reels, or even promotional trailers, if i did not personally believe the developers were striving to improve the game despite the bugs it has. :)

from a bruised, tried and very tested sim-racer :p. so pick your chin up old Chum (im british) and get on with hosting on the other side of that pond

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    I only ever play offline and have no issues with this at all anymore.:D

4. Macaquinho

Macaquinho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +219 / 0 / -0
    That´s a decent way to complain to somebody. Some people should take a leaf out of your book. (hope I used that idiom correctly :))

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Yatzeck

Yatzeck Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    That's right, your voice is very balanced but reflect something which here may be recieved as an attack. Many people here are not used to dissent in opinion about of R3E imperfection. Of course R3E is not perfect, as many others things in this world. I have noticed one significant phrase: "I'm not here to win, i'm here to have fun." But what if R3E will not give you fun? You may ask or give a break. But it is hard to give a break with something which I loved... I'm still in love in R3E but this love is from distance. I see your point and I understand you very much.

6. DreamsKnight

DreamsKnight Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    Honestly R3E is the paradise if i look at the competitors i know (AC PCars rf2), and they are working and supporting it more than the others.
    I started a new league here exactly cause is the most stable.

More hours you'll spend more bugs you'll encounter. It's normal.and you remember only that.

Another point: I'm an IT tech. I see people complain against software all the time.
    In 99% of the cases the fault is their pc hardware.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    You can:
    Unbenannt.JPG

8. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    We are talking a few different machines and OS for server and secondary computer.
    I went from win 7 to win 10 on my main gaming machine a while back. Those are not hardware glitches, its the game suddenly not doing what it did from one race to another.

Look... last race ( the one that made me go over the edge* i am impressed my headset survived the throwing )
    Just before the race time i made a mock server ( its on the same server box we use for the champ race ), me and and my teammate jumped on and did a full race so i could measure the fuel usage.
    We did the whole 40 minutes race and i did my pit no issue.
    But during the actual champ race it decided to not work again. During my pit time went nervously to my pit stall while driving with pit speed limiter as usual,
    i hit accept as i've done many times before. I park the car and nothing happened, It was just sitting there nothing going on no waiting no refueling nothing at all, hitting the accept button again or pit toggle did nothing, Keyboard enter key or any key... again nothing. Tried to move the car to get out of there, *hitting accelerator, or break nothing.
    If i was successful about 1 hour before the race start why wasn't it working again on the next race. I did not change anything in windows. My hardware is the same. My hardware and windows suddenly won't stop working.
    Its like flipping a coin here.

Also i am in I,T work i am not a software engineer lol, but i know my way around more than most. That's what i do.
    This machine and windows install are extremely stable. I have no issue with anything else i do on this machine like i said above with Raceroom i never know what i am going to get.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  9. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    Like i stated. I have never loved a game as much as i did with Raceroom. That is why i am so invested in it.
    That's also why i am so very disappointed right now. I've been through a lot of different issues over the years and its the first time i lost my fire for it.

10. Yatzeck

Yatzeck Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Products of Microsoft may contains this kind of thrill... But seriously, I'm curious is there somebedo which help you to resolve your issue...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Its a shame really to read your post because its genuine and i know how much you have put into this and are level headed.

I do not use as many deep features as you do or spend as much time total in the game, but i was starting to get the impression things were actually becoming much more stable. The one remaining problem ive had lately is sessions getting stuck in qualifying where the race wont start, and people start leaving. It always starts *eventually* but can often be 5-10 minutes after end of session.

I hope some of these issues get better for you, as you are an asset to this sim.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  12. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    The Qualifying issue you are getting is usually because some people are joining when the timer is done ( or leaving ). the server will wait until everyone is in. But 10 minutes seems excessive.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    Are you sure, you weren't standing a bit too far? I've noticed that you pretty much can't overshoot your place, because it won't start procedure, you need to hit reverse and correct your position. It's much more forgiving if you stop a bit to early. I've done many pitstops so far and never had a problem with them.

Only issues i had recently in RaceRoom are:
    - join lags
    - random huge fps drops in longer races, probably related with replay saving - although didn't have any issues in 90min Suzuka race
    - wheel setting to default 900° rotation after minimizing game
    - wheel stopped responding for couple of seconds, but I can't say if RaceRoom is to blame.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    Like i said i could not move forward or reverse. Nothing was going on. Hitting the gas pedal shifting up or down. nothing.

15. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    @MeMotS

I can clearly refer to what you've written, for me personally it came last year to the point of total frustration when nothing went right in the middle of our last VRTM Season due to various MP bugs that time....
    Though I have to state that I'm still on Win 7 64 and most of reported bugs and issues lately simply passed by...so a part of your critics seems actually directed at Ol' Bills Patchwork Software that someone once felt entitled to name "OS" :D....(the same old story)...

Wrote a similar post that time btw....;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    I reported for the freezes on MP games and crashes on Nordschleife. There's actually no answers to this bug reports. The freezes in MP games are really a problem cause it can result in a crash while qualifying or racing, there's also other players complaining in the MP chat about this. I'd like to get a feedback from a beta-tester or S3S...

17. SylverFyre

SylverFyre Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    Could it be because of some form of desynch between client and server? Maybe the server doesn't know how to respond to out of range/corrupted information for some reason and doesn't fail gracefully?

Anyway, I've played on Win7 and for the last 18 months, on Win10. I don't want to tempt fate, but both OSes have been as reliable as each other for gaming, for me. Doesn't mean much though I know....
    Hope your frustrations are lessened soon Memots.
    Now if only Openreach would install fibre to my street, I might be able to get a reasonable internet connection.

• Like Like x 1
  18. lennyallover

lennyallover Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Mine was crashing to desktop & I couldn't figure out why.......a new GPU and its drivers were the frontline suspects but after I did a clean install and ran a bench test I was no further forward. Then I was watching a vid' on you tube and it crashed to desktop. This time however I briefly caught a glimpse of a Cortana message box before it disappeared. So went to Cortana settings and turned off all notifications & listening mode and so far it hasn't occurred again , played about 5 hours in total without crash.

• Like Like x 2
  19. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Heads up! On some servers you have to turn off ignition/engine before crew get to work, drives me doodally as never pay attention to server info before I jump in. Could be a reason why sometimes it works and on other occasions not.

20. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    Well it's on our own server that this happened a it happened a few time. No setting for that.

On a side note. I have fully reinstalled and no reused my document simbin folder like I did. I also installed it on a brand new ssd drive and I'm quite impressed with how quickly everything loads and runs.
    Finger crossed I have had zero issue since.

• Like Like x 2