Sort out the AI and RRE can be a great sim

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peevee88, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Peevee88

Peevee88 Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Real sim geeks meet online at iRacing not RRE... And I been there done that at iRacing and the truth is the more simmers I meet the more I love AI!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. The Angry Hamster

The Angry Hamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    1) The multiplayer join stutter bug is known and constantly being worked on. Also it's realistically about a 0.1 - 0.4 second delay, not 1.5 seconds.

2) The server loads depend greatly on when you can race. The closer to EU peak times you can race, the more people you'll find racing.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. c3lix

c3lix Active Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    1. ok you are right, but that alone is enough to kill the current lap, curious, if the stutter goes away if I install the game on my SSD.
    2. Captain Obvious :fearscream:, I am right in the EU times. From Germany actually. Right now there is one full server with GT3 cars. I was on that server, got 1st place in qualify and as the server wants to load the race, it disconnected me. Well... 30 min wasted for the qualify and I need to wait another 60min for a new race. Great deal.

You all should know how it is. rrre is a great sim but like nobody plays it. So it needs good Ai. Racing events are like once or twice a week, I want to race when I want and not at a fixed time once in a week. It's also very likely that the server kicks me just like in a random race.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    Ouch! Disagrees and dislike, well that was expected. What i mean is that it doesnt matter how good the AI will be, it's still Artificial. Not real.

5. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    The whole notion of sitting in front of a screen behind a toy wheel is not real either, online or not.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    No but the people behind the screens are real. Not artificial.
    Don't take it so seriously i was just provocative, i drive against AI myself :)

7. Peevee88

Peevee88 Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    This thread is supposed to be about AI - the multiplayer thing just this thread confusing - start another thread for that subject if need be.
    Can we just keep this thread to AI and getting it right or at least providing feedback so that maybe the devs put this on their to do list?
    Some have mentioned that they have no AI issues so I would like to get their input in what to try to sort out the issue that afflicts just about every series in RRE and the tracks I have driven which is just about all.
    For the record my level is average - can run with the AI at 120% and beat them (lap times) at 110%...
    If someone has an AI formula for RRE that works then please share the settings...

8. DonArturo

DonArturo Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    It is difficult to say what exactly goes wrong with your AI. I am among those who love the AI as it is and have very little problems with them. I think a couple of videos might help tremendously, because we could see where their lines may be massively off or their awareness is bad, or (and this is not an accusation but just another source of accidents) where you may treat them too much like AI and too little as an opponent on a racetrack. I myself stopped (or better have had much less issues, since there still are things to be improved) having AI issues in RR when I started to treat them like I would an opponent in multiplayer and do better risk management when overtaking including sometimes taking a step back.
    Again, I am not saying it is all your fault, but maybe we can find some things you can do, to improve your experience!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps the AI needs some further tweaking following the recent (and pretty major) update to R3E? If so, hope we get this soon.

10. Bee

Bee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    I race at 115% and the starts are the most problematic. Once the pack is stretched i have a blast racing the AI although im aware that i need to be very subtle once i approach a AI car. They start to defend way too early which often leads into cutting the track over kerbs and grass when there is a sharp corner.
    The biggest problem is the AI not having a good spacial awareness when me other AI cars are close by. Like in Pcars the defending AI keeps keeps fighting for position although the situation should make the defending AI to lift and take the loss. Instead they cut the corner over kerbs and grass, or just brutal bump the other AI of track.
    I have heaps of replays where i am on the inside (in front of the AI) before a hairpin where the AI should take the loss. Instead it seems that i am not there: they just turn in. Now...since the latest patch it seems that the car i race is much more stable under those conditions. Im not going off track when the AI hits me during such situation. But i do not agree that that is a solution for the spacial awareness. A competitive racing AI is fine by me but they should know in what corner they can fight or when they should take their loss. With the current AI i do not see how it would work in Multi Class races when the AI have to let by faster cars and wave through the traffic of slower cars. A aggression slider is very welcome!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    The AI about a year ago were far superior to what we have now, the awareness was very good, their performance was superior to what they are now, even a challenge, and they actually over took each other, they just needed to be made abit more aggressive, but now they are like driving with learner drivers who have no awareness, who are scared to actually use the accelerator, and who brake 3 times before a corner way to early and carry no speed through it. They don't no how to challenge and overtake, and spend the whole race like a line of domino's.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Peevee88

Peevee88 Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Exactly my experience with AI - so I am not alone!
    Now for the solution?

13. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Yes, but a year ago the AI also was doing turns in a verystuttery manner, driving left-straight-left-straight-left-straight insteas of one smooth left turn. When they smoothened that, the price was the more "boring" AI, or call it sterile. I wish they would sort these two things out, keep them seperate. I asked for that back then, the reply by J-F was indicating that they want the former state of the AI back, too, just without that stuittery turning. Since then there have been further AI updates, but that unpredictability of events that AI cars created, never came back.

It could also be due to cars driving close to each other and sharing specs, have no speed reserves left and thus cannot overtake each other. It is said that this might be the cause for the car-train phenomenon in AC that still occasionally shows up, though not as often anymore as in the past. I could imagine that it is something similar in RR.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Sascha Reynders

Sascha Reynders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    Yep, that's my biggest gripe with the AI too, but to be honest: it was like that before the latest patch as well.

It's quite frustrating that a textbook overtaking maneuver -outbraking an opponent into a corner- usually ends with the AI punting you off the track because they're completely unaware of your track position and insist on taking the ideal racing line no matter what. I know the "A" stands for "artificial", but the "I" stands for "intelligence" so one could expect at least a little of that. In a much older sim like GTR2 for instance, AI behaviour is a lot better and much more realistic in my opinion. GTR2's AI is far from perfect, but at least it's a lot more "race-able".

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. AMarkham40

AMarkham40 Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I still think R3E has the best AI of the sims I use but I admit the AI has went backwards with the latest patch. I run the AI between 115 & 120%. Before this patch I rarely had to restart a race due to a first corner pileup, but now I have to restart about 50% of the time. The AI also slows much more in the first few corners at the start of the race which leads to these pileups. The AI's situational awareness has taken several steps backwards. I could run side by side for many consecutive corners pre-patch but now they will slam into the side of you like your not even there. Doesn't happen all the time but enough to get irritating. I know they are working on improving the AI & trying new things so I'm hoping it gets better!

• Agree Agree x 5
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  16. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    This pretty much sums my problems with AI, but braking issue looks a bit different. Under heavy braking they can brake much later and harder (and of course harder than needed :p). They also seem to dive bomb from insane distances which can end up in dissaster, especially on Salzburgring which has those concrete barrels on chicane.

17. richlevy2003

richlevy2003 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    The bad about the ai has been mentioned here, 1 thing that has improved, they are defending inside moves in turns now that they were not before. Tracks that I used to spank the ai in the turns on before, now I need to push the ai, hold tight to them and wait for them to make a mistake, or leave an opening. While I do believe they lost some on this patch, they have improved also.
    -I like the randomness in their lines now, maybe a bit over done, but it's better than the near perfect racing lines they used to do.
    -they are a bit too aggressive about their turn in points, I have been spun several times because they want to turn in on their line and do not consider my position, whether I am ahead or behind (behind it is my place to yield the posotion, but it would be nice if they were aware I was there)
    -braking has been done to death, it still needs some tweaking
    -starts are a mob scene, I am placing 20-40 cars on the track, and it is pure bedlam getting thru the first 1/2 of the course
    I tend to agree with many of the posts here... would be nice to get an ai update in the next week or 2 if possible.

• Like Like x 2
  18. kamackeris

kamackeris Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    i really want to like RRE but the AI is not good....can't play more than half an hour before i turn it off till the next update ....

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Had an awful race at Spielberg earlier. Many of the complaints raised in this thread were on display, the worst of which is the lack of awareness from the AI. Braking into the slow turns 2 & 3 when attempting a perfectly legitimate pass on the inside, the AI turned in on me as if I wasn't there. The same behaviour was evident on the two straights between turns 1&2 and 2&3 where the racing line meanders left-right-left: get on the 'wrong' side of the AI and they will run you off the track. Throw in a random brake-check halfway along the start finish straight and, on a couple of occasions, the AI trying to cut turns 2 & 3 by bounding over the curbs/grass and you have all the ingredients for a forgettable single player experience.

It's strange because I have run a number of races at Spa since the update and have had good experiences each time so it makes me wonder if the severity of these AI issues varies from track-to-track?

Spielberg is one of my favourite tracks and I use it a lot. These issues definitely seem new to me. Something went awry with the last update as can be seen by the number of AI complaints.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. richlevy2003

richlevy2003 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Yea, I am wondering also, though I use adaptive ai. I have not tested enough so I am not sure if I am correct. It appears the first 1-3 races it's almost a free for all (yea a bit of an exergeration) but they behave better after that. Zolder is 1 example, turn 1 they are very slow, they brake early, and are too slow here. Turns 2 to 4 around the long right hander with 3 kinks, they hold their speed well, but are set on their path, get in the way and they will run into you.
    Funny thing here is last update I really loved that they fought so hard into and out of this section and the chicane just up the track. Side by side battles in that part of the track made it one of my favorite tracks to go to. When the ai adjust they are better, and they do block and hold their line, they seem less aware of what is around them, and after being overtaken, it's like they give up and fall off the pace. Gaps can be a second and more.
    I raced spa, Zolder, zandvort, Sachering and chang since the update. All but spa with gtr3 and gt3 cars. Each track is different, I would probably have to run them again before I commented on the others tracks.

• Like Like x 1