Problem Steam BP overlay lag [Solved!] & conflict with MSI Afterburner overlay

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by AxJtw, Nov 30, 2018.

?

Do you have this problem?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. AxJtw

AxJtw New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Since last few updates, the Steam Big Picture overlay is unusable. I have some control mappings depending on it. It seems the DirectX cause this because the other game "Euro Truck Simulator 2" got this problem too and it can be chosen to run in OpenGL mode then there is no lag in BP overlay. But the graphic in OpenGL is not so pretty though.
    [EDIT: The BP overlay lag problem is solved recently, both R3E and ETS 2. Maybe the Steam tech support take care of it.]

And another problem is the BP overlay conflicts with MSI Afterburner(RiverTurner Statistics Server) overlay.
    It used to be no problem to run them at the same time.

I hope these issues can be fixed like the last Steam controller bug report.
    Thank you, guys!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    AfaIk you don't actually have to be running Steam in Big Picture for the custom control mappings to take effect. I'm using Steam just for emulating my gamepad for AC Odyssey, and after I mapped the controller in Big Picture I actually don't have to go into BP when playing AC and it still uses my mapping.
    MSI Afterburner is known to cause all sorts conflicts. So if you can somehow, maybe avoid using it. If it conflicts with Steam overlays, I don't think there's much the devs here can do about it.

3. AxJtw

AxJtw New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I know that and that's why I'm still using Steam controller to play it and didn't report the issue before. But there are two major problems with this situation:
    1) Any on-screen feature/info is unusable such as "Touch Menu" and "Radial Menu" or disappears such as the pop-up info when changing different action(input mapping) sets.
    2) You can't change and try different axis/button mappings or control sets/layers on the fly within the game. The user must use alt-tab to go back to desktop making different control mapping then back and forth. It's very annoying and time-consuming.

As for MSI Afterburner, I know it's a little bit too much to ask the devs to do something about it but it used to be all good with BP overlay. Since the BP overlay function is broken since last few updates, there might be some connections between it and Afterburner if the devs got some time to take a look into the BP overlay issue.

For personal experience, I use Afterburner for recent years and didn't encounter any issue between it and BP overlay in 95% games in my library, 99% solely using Afterburner itself.
    At least, taking racing sims/sim-cades for example, Race07, rFactor 1 & 2, Automobilista, Assetto Corsa Competizione, Project Cars 2 and F1 franchise...etc are all as good as it can get with no problem using it with BP overlay since day one.

Even for R3E, it can be played with both of them without any problem at first.
    But I can imagine it might make any conflict with software that relates with overlay if any though.

I think the issue might be related to how DirectX been handled between Steam client, MSI Afterburner and R3E.
    At least, fix the BP overlay problem, please. Thank you for the reply and the devs who care about this.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  4. AxJtw

AxJtw New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    The BP overlay lag problem is solved recently, both R3E and ETS 2. I had sent a support letter to them too at that time. Maybe the Steam tech support take care of it. Anyway, it's great!!